The Student Room Group

How do I fix my sleeping pattern? It is ****ed.

My sleeping pattern is well and truly ****ed right now. I always start off the term at uni getting to bed between 10pm-12am and getting up at a normal time. Then my going to bed time slowly creeps later and later. Last night I didn't get into bed until 5:15am and must not have fallen to sleep till 6am or later. I woke up at 9:15am to get ready for lectures. I finished them and went back to bed at 1:30pm. I didn't wake up till almost 8pm.

How do I get it back on track? My problem is I have nothing to live for. :frown: No friends to see, no girlfriend or prospect of gf/sex, my course is boring, no societies or sports, I have the gym but thats about it. So my sleeping pattern creeps further and further backwards as I ask myself 'what am I getting up for in life?'. :cry2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bassetts
My sleeping pattern is well and truly ****ed right now. I always start off the term at uni getting to bed between 10pm-12am and getting up at a normal time. Then my going to bed time slowly creeps later and later. Last night I didn't get into bed until 5:15am and must not have fallen to sleep till 6am or later. I woke up at 9:15am to get ready for lectures. I finished them and went back to bed at 1:30pm. I didn't wake up till almost 8pm.

How do I get it back on track? My problem is I have nothing to live for. :frown: No friends to see, no girlfriend or prospect of gf/sex, my course is boring, no societies or sports, I have the gym but thats about it. So my sleeping pattern creeps further and further backwards as I ask myself 'what am I getting up for in life?'. :cry2:

i really do hope that everything youve ever said on tsr is troll
Reply 2
Original post by IceKidd

Doesn't seem like it.
Reply 3
Original post by IceKidd
Why do you hope? And no, nothing related to me and my life situation on TSR has been a troll. All of it has been 100% serious. Why would I make this stuff up?
Reply 4
Why do you hope? And no, nothing related to me and my life situation on TSR has been a troll. All of it has been 100% serious. Why would I make this stuff up?

if you are really so depressed, why do you need to be such an attention seeker to strangers over the internet about it.

im trying to be nice here....i honestly think you should find yourself a counsellor to talk to if all this stuff is how you really feel, because then you can actually get professional help on the matter.
Reply 5
Over the summer my sleep pattern was ****ed. I found that if you stay awake for a full day, then the following day go bed at a respectable time, say 8pm. That'll fix it.
You'll sleep a lot longer but then the subsequent days try and stick to this new sleep pattern.
Reply 6
Original post by IceKidd
if you are really so depressed, why do you need to be such an attention seeker to strangers over the internet about it.

im trying to be nice here....i honestly think you should find yourself a counsellor to talk to if all this stuff is how you really feel, because then you can actually get professional help on the matter.
How do you know if I am depressed? It could be low testosterone or chemical imbalances in my body. Or I could have a ****ed up sleeping pattern with no reason behind it?

I have spoken to a counsellor before (2 in fact). They don't work. Speaking to a stranger about my problems and them nodding/agreeing/giving a little advice here and there did not make a single iota of difference to anything.
Reply 7
Original post by Zenzic
Over the summer my sleep pattern was ****ed. I found that if you stay awake for a full day, then the following day go bed at a respectable time, say 8pm. That'll fix it.
You'll sleep a lot longer but then the subsequent days try and stick to this new sleep pattern.

That's what I did when my sleeping pattern was like the OPs.
Reply 8
Original post by Khallil
Go to sleep at the right time.
Easier said than done, kid. I can go to bed at midnight tonight but I won't get to sleep for at least 5 or 6 hours.

Because all you do is moan and you never try to fix anything, if you're a troll then I'd be happy because it means this character doesn't actually exist, the alternative that someone as unmotivated as you exists is depressing, you have these problems but don't have the guts to do anything about them, if you have no societies 'to live for' then how about you join some instead of crying on here about it? And don't give me the 'it's too late' rubbish either, I've joined judo this year and we had a new member join 2 weeks ago and he's come to socials and stuff despite not knowing anyone. If you don't make the effort to do stuff then why do you expect anything other than misery? As for the girlfriend stuff, there are plenty of virgins on this site, notice how they don't feel the need to tell everyone about it every 5 minutes, if your life is as bad as you make it out to be sex should be the last thing worrying you.
Edit: I understand depression can make you unmotivated to do stuff, but if you give in to it and stay inside your problems only get worse, force yourself out if you must.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10

I'm a 15 year old loner :bawling:, but I go to sleep at about 1am and wake up at 5:30am, if I get more sleep I wake up tired:confused:
Reply 11
If you have a late night - don't go back to bed til more normal time that evening.

Look up sleep hygiene on Google.

It does not help your emotional state by having a bad sleeping pattern.

Would also seriously suggest seeing your GP.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 12
How do you know if I am depressed? It could be low testosterone or chemical imbalances in my body. Or I could have a ****ed up sleeping pattern with no reason behind it?

sounds like you're brain is giving you melatonin at the wrong times, try taking melatonin when you want to go to bed, you'll be asleep pretty quickly.
Go to the gym like you said. But in the evening instead. It usually makes people feel tired and have better sleep at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Go to the gym like you said. But in the evening instead. It usually makes people feel tired and have better sleep at night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many of my friends and I have this problem as well. One has resorted to sleeping pills, which I don't recommend although it seems to have done the job.

The rest of us resort to all-nighters, though I will try not to do one again. One problem is that an all-nighter takes some determination to get through those early hours of the day, especially in winter when it's still dark, you'll be knackered by 8 am; if you nod off then you'll be in an even worse position.

If you succeed, you'll most probably be off the ball for the rest of the day and you'd have built up your sleep deficit. If your sleeping aim is to make a habit off being asleep by 11pm and up by 7am, then sleeping at 11pm on this first night will pretty much take you back to square one as you'll wake up past 9am minimum. I would recommend sleeping around 5pm, 6 latest on the first night IF you take this route. It doesn't matter if you wake up a bit early the next day as you would still have sleep debt leftover which would need to be accounted for during the following night(s).

However, it just doesn't work sometimes in that, at 6pm you might get a bit of energy for somewhere(your body thinks you don't want to sleep so it wakes you up), so you might not be able to sleep till late again, so wake up at 4-5pm the next day which is useless.

Also this is only a short term solution as it probably didn't fix the cause, I have had to do too many of these only to back to the same position within a fortnight.

My recommendation is to just try and wake up earlier(get someone to throw water on you, nobody can sleep on a wet bed. book your unmissable seminars nice and early which will make you think twice about hitting the snooze button. Then just get to bed earlier(again around 6pm for the first night, judge it yourself, but don't care about when you feel tired just be in your bed with phone on bedside not in your hands + wifi off).

Somebody else mentioned sleep hygiene, basically phones and laptops are big contributors to poor sleep. Also caffeine and sugar late in the day don't help.
Lastly the two I'm still not 100% about and depend more on the person are bedtime baths and exercise. Personally I would avoid the two near bed time but the other poster did actually recommend so...:s-smilie:
Try again these next few days and see what happens, if all else fails, there can't be any harm in speaking to a professional about it.

One more thing, if you're a student I used to leave work till last minute and have to do it during the night(less distractions = in my zone). The opportunity cost of this is of course my sleep, so try your best to do your work during another part of the day, there must be an hour or two where you can work peacefully.

Remembering a few other theories which I think I'll throw out there. Don't go to bed hungry, though as I said before don't eat too late especially sugar. When you get to know yourself, you might realise that a glass of warm milk around 10 pm is best to get to bed on time.

The other theory is drink water so you want to get up early to go to the loo...though there is one about setting the heating to high so you want to get out of bed(though you may not want to leave the house then lol :colondollar:); it's also supposed to dehydrate you but how that links in to the water thing I'm not sure...:redface:

Good luck man:cool

TLDR: read underlined
Reply 15

Alternative Sleep Cycles: 7-10 Hours Are Not Needed

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/201...eeded.html?m=1
Original post by RVNmax
Many of my friends and I have this problem as well. One has resorted to sleeping pills, which I don't recommend although it seems to have done the job.

The rest of us resort to all-nighters, though I will try not to do one again. One problem is that an all-nighter takes some determination to get through those early hours of the day, especially in winter when it's still dark, you'll be knackered by 8 am; if you nod off then you'll be in an even worse position.

If you succeed, you'll most probably be off the ball for the rest of the day and you'd have built up your sleep deficit. If your sleeping aim is to make a habit off being asleep by 11pm and up by 7am, then sleeping at 11pm on this first night will pretty much take you back to square one as you'll wake up past 9am minimum. I would recommend sleeping around 5pm, 6 latest on the first night IF you take this route. It doesn't matter if you wake up a bit early the next day as you would still have sleep debt leftover which would need to be accounted for during the following night(s).

However, it just doesn't work sometimes in that, at 6pm you might get a bit of energy for somewhere(your body thinks you don't want to sleep so it wakes you up), so you might not be able to sleep till late again, so wake up at 4-5pm the next day which is useless.

Also this is only a short term solution as it probably didn't fix the cause, I have had to do too many of these only to back to the same position within a fortnight.

My recommendation is to just try and wake up earlier(get someone to throw water on you, nobody can sleep on a wet bed. book your unmissable seminars nice and early which will make you think twice about hitting the snooze button. Then just get to bed earlier(again around 6pm for the first night, judge it yourself, but don't care about when you feel tired just be in your bed with phone on bedside not in your hands + wifi off).

Somebody else mentioned sleep hygiene, basically phones and laptops are big contributors to poor sleep. Also caffeine and sugar late in the day don't help.
Lastly the two I'm still not 100% about and depend more on the person are bedtime baths and exercise. Personally I would avoid the two near bed time but the other poster did actually recommend so...:s-smilie:
Try again these next few days and see what happens, if all else fails, there can't be any harm in speaking to a professional about it.

One more thing, if you're a student I used to leave work till last minute and have to do it during the night(less distractions = in my zone). The opportunity cost of this is of course my sleep, so try your best to do your work during another part of the day, there must be an hour or two where you can work peacefully.

Remembering a few other theories which I think I'll throw out there. Don't go to bed hungry, though as I said before don't eat too late especially sugar. When you get to know yourself, you might realise that a glass of warm milk around 10 pm is best to get to bed on time.

The other theory is drink water so you want to get up early to go to the loo...though there is one about setting the heating to high so you want to get out of bed(though you may not want to leave the house then lol :colondollar:); it's also supposed to dehydrate you but how that links in to the water thing I'm not sure...:redface:

Good luck man:cool

TLDR: read underlined

Dude, TL;DR. But it seems you've got some good points there. Points I can almost guarantee OP will completely disregard while still complaining about everything else wrong in his life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Dude, TL;DR. But it seems you've got some good points there. Points I can almost guarantee OP will completely disregard while still complaining about everything else wrong in his life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why EXACTLY are you being such an *******?
getting laid helps
Original post by That Bearded Man
Why EXACTLY are you being such an *******?

What in my post has warranted such a description? I don't even know what you wrote...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending