The Student Room Group

What do you think of my A-Level choices?

I'm probably going to do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Anyone with experience with these subjects have any warnings, advice or tips? Thanks for any help! :biggrin: Also, I'm not sure which one to drop for A2 or whether to drop any at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't do that much maths unless you really like maths :P a level maths is a big step up from GCSE. I did maths, bio, chem and psychology. A level chemistry is good, it's easy enough if you practice the exam questions. What sort of thing do you want to do at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love A Level maths and wish I had taken Further, but I didn't because I was worried I wouldn't be able to cope. Turns out I probably would have been alright, so definitely give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I did them same subjects!

Got AAAB, which is pretty good for someone who was very lazy at college :smile:

what do you plan to do after I would say make sure you like maths as it will take up a lot of your time with them subjects!
Reply 4
I do maths, physics, chemistry and biology currently at college. I wouldn't heed the warnings about AS maths, it's really not that hard. Truth be told, I hated mathematics at school and yet I love it at college. I'd say physics was the biggest step up from GCSE for me, so I'd advise you to go over GCSE material in the summer holidays so it's fresh in your head. But other than that if you are achieving at least As in physics and chemistry and possibly an A*, an A would still be fine, in maths then you should do fine. Good luck! :smile:
I know so many people doing that combination at A-Level. They all say it's a nice mix, especially since they are all mathsy/sciency! Maths isn't really that difficult. Core 1, the first module, is basically an extension of A* level maths at GCSE. As someone said previously, I would recommend having an A or higher at maths because it gives you a sound start to the subject, but that's not to say that if you didn't achieve that you'd be hindered in any way. I do Chemistry, and it's my favourite subject. It's more interesting than at GCSE and if you are keen on the subject, you will find it bearable. If you decide to do it at A-Level, go over topics so you really understand them because there are quite a few overlaps between the first module and GCSE! Good Luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Cryinglightning
Don't do that much maths unless you really like maths :P a level maths is a big step up from GCSE. I did maths, bio, chem and psychology. A level chemistry is good, it's easy enough if you practice the exam questions. What sort of thing do you want to do at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of doing chemistry or engineering.
Reply 7
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I love A Level maths and wish I had taken Further, but I didn't because I was worried I wouldn't be able to cope. Turns out I probably would have been alright, so definitely give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, thank you for the reply. Why were you worried you wouldn't be able to cope and what changed your mind?
Reply 8
Original post by Marcum
I do maths, physics, chemistry and biology currently at college. I wouldn't heed the warnings about AS maths, it's really not that hard. Truth be told, I hated mathematics at school and yet I love it at college. I'd say physics was the biggest step up from GCSE for me, so I'd advise you to go over GCSE material in the summer holidays so it's fresh in your head. But other than that if you are achieving at least As in physics and chemistry and possibly an A*, an A would still be fine, in maths then you should do fine. Good luck! :smile:

:smile: Thank you! Any Physics material in particular?
Reply 9
Original post by overthelove

Thanks! Good Luck for whatever you're doing at the moment as well. :smile:
Reply 10
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Literature at A2. If you want to go into engineering I'd definitely advise you to do further maths, its a lot of fun and isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Although taking four difficult sciences definitely won't be easy. My friend did your A-levels and got 4As though, so if you're confident in your ability then go for it.
If you need chemistry and/or physics keep them at A2, if you don't drop them. That much maths will benefit you of you can cope at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by KingKumar
I'm probably going to do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Anyone with experience with these subjects have any warnings, advice or tips? Thanks for any help! :biggrin: Also, I'm not sure which one to drop for A2 or whether to drop any at all.

To be fair there's this hype of college being exeedingly hard, they just say that to put you off, i do exactly the same as you, aslong as you put the effort in then you'll be fine. I found college ok since I studied quite a lot for GCSE so I'm use to it. If you're good at maths then it should come easy to you.
Reply 13
Original post by amcor
I did them same subjects!

Got AAAB, which is pretty good for someone who was very lazy at college :smile:

what do you plan to do after I would say make sure you like maths as it will take up a lot of your time with them subjects!

I'm thinking of doing chemistry or engineering at uni. Possibly physics if I get into it at A Level.
OK, thank you for the reply. Why were you worried you wouldn't be able to cope and what changed your mind?

I guess because people I spoke to made it sound like it was impossible and was such a step up from GCSE that no-one would be able to handle it. I was about half way through AS when I realised it wasn't at all as difficult as was made out, and that I would have been able to cope. I regret not taking it, but I'm happy with how things have turned out in the end (I think!)
Reply 15
:smile: Thank you! Any Physics material in particular?

We've just finished a module in physics which was heavily based around electricity; I stupidly didn't revise it over the holidays and as a consequence of that found it in particular challenging in parts. While challenging it is still manageable and quite enjoyable. I had heart palpitations when I got a question right which I'd been stuck on for a good few hours last night lol. Good luck in whatever your choices are anyway!
Reply 16
I did all those subjects at AS and it was fun :smile:
Physics is just amazing. Every lesson I went to I came out buzzing about what I'd just learned.
Maths/FM is very satisfying. I enjoyed messing around with stats in the first year with dice probability etc and this year I have mechanics which is just sexy. It's more difficult than the mechanics in physics but the more rigorous approach is very useful for physics. The core and FP modules are quite nice.
Chemistry , at the beginning, I found quite boring since the calculations were very obvious and there wasn't much theory going on but then you get on to organic chemistry and you start to really understand reactions. It's quite a lot of memorization which sucks but it was also interesting
Reply 17
Original post by Marcum
We've just finished a module in physics which was heavily based around electricity; I stupidly didn't revise it over the holidays and as a consequence of that found it in particular challenging in parts. While challenging it is still manageable and quite enjoyable. I had heart palpitations when I got a question right which I'd been stuck on for a good few hours last night lol. Good luck in whatever your choices are anyway!

That's your own fault, I guess :mmm:
The electricity module for AQA was interesting for me. Very logic based.
OP, as long as you study a little for tests during the holidays (a little, not all the way through) and keep up with the work then you won't have a problem. I came out of AS with a 97% UMS average so I can tell you from experience that working throughout the year at a nice pace is by far more efficient :borat:
Reply 18
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
That's your own fault, I guess :mmm:
The electricity module for AQA was interesting for me. Very logic based.
OP, as long as you study a little for tests during the holidays (a little, not all the way through) and keep up with the work then you won't have a problem. I came out of AS with a 97% UMS average so I can tell you from experience that working throughout the year at a nice pace is by far more efficient :borat:

Ok, thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest