The Student Room Group

Help chemistry alevel

picking alevels soon can anyone doing this a level or have done state why they like/dislike it and its pros and cons thanks also what do you learn and how much harder from gcse is it ??

Scroll to see replies

Please help :frown:
please
Reply 3
Pros:very respected subject, interesting and can be fun as well!
cons: can be a bit tricky and you need good solid foundations

Its not that big of a jump in my opinion, if you worked hard at GCSE then continue and do more at a-level you will succeed.

On the whole it is a great a-level to study. I personally would say to you pick whatever subjects you like, as you long as you enjoy them and work hard you will be fine! Remember nothing is impossible! :biggrin:
thank you :smile:
I'm doing AS, so i havent been doing it for a long time but:
Pros:
it looks good when applying to university
it IS interesting

Cons:
it is quite difficult (imo its the hardest of my options), and it is a lot harder at a level (i didnt pay a lot of attention for GCSE chemistry)
how much maths is involved and what other subjects did you take on at alevel ??
Reply 7
What exam board are you on? I can only speak for OCR because that's what I did for GCSE & A level.

I found AS chemistry very much like the C7 GCSE module, just in a lot more detail and you actually have to understand it more. Yes, it is a jump from GCSEs but then all subjects are.

My advice is make sure you understand things as you are taught them, I know some people who didn't and then struggled when it came to the papers. If you know it well enough to explain to others then you're fine. Also do all the past papers you can get your hands on because at least 50% of the paper is fairly standard & predictable.

I took Maths, Physics, Chemistry & English Lit for my ASes and Chemistry was probably the easiest one of all (though I am very much into science) to be honest.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by cookiecrumblexx
how much maths is involved and what other subjects did you take on at alevel ??

Just to let you know I'm doing the AQA syllabus, is this what you will be doing?
thank you :smile: you see I am the opposite I like subjects like history English literature theatre studies ect but I love human biology and am going to keep on biology alevel but was told that chemistry would be a must if I decide I want to a human biology degree ...
no I will be doing ccea :smile:
Reply 11
no I will be doing ccea :smile:

Oh okay :smile: I'm sure it won't be too in different in terms of the maths content. I haven't done maths at AS level and I coped fine as I got an A at AS. There is more maths in A2 but nothing too difficult, logs was the only new concept to me :smile:
I love Chemistry! I'm with OCR and I've found it so interesting :smile: It requires a bit of thinking, but once you know something, it just sticks! Take Chemistry if you enjoy it :smile:
thank you :smile: what other subjects do you do ??
Original post by overthelove
I love Chemistry! I'm with OCR and I've found it so interesting :smile: It requires a bit of thinking, but once you know something, it just sticks! Take Chemistry if you enjoy it :smile:

see I have the worst teacher in the world for chemistry at gcse and I don't no if I like chemistry ....what do you find enjoyable about it ??:smile:
see I have the worst teacher in the world for chemistry at gcse and I don't no if I like chemistry ....what do you find enjoyable about it ??:smile:

Ah I had an alright teacher for chemistry, but it wasn't her teaching that influenced me tbh. I don't know what it is, but I like the fact that it goes way beyond and is in more depth than GCSEs. Questions I want to know about specific elements, structures etc finally get answered. For me, chemistry is like a massive party between the elements and its always something I've been fond of, so I thought, hey, why not give it a go at a-level?
thank you :smile: what other subjects do you do ??

I also do Maths, Biology and French :P Chemistry is a bit mathsy, but you don't require maths to succeed in calculations ! :smile:
thank you :smile: what other subjects do you do for alevel ??:smile:
thanks as I hate maths !!!! whats biology like ??? really love human biology !!:smile:
Reply 19
people in Y13 always tell me that chemistry is their hardest a level

Quick Reply

Latest