The Student Room Group

AS English Language

hey guys I've just joined the student room so I don't know if I am doing this properly..:colondollar: Currently I am doing 4 A levels which are English Lang, Psychology, Sociology and Law I am doing quite well in these as levels but I am REALLY struggling with English language and we have a coursework coming up and I hope that I can get help from you guys, I revise a lot but the highest I have had is a C :frown: and I really do not want to get a C in any of my A levels. I hope you guys can help me, Thanks.
What do you need help with though? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Hi!

I'm in year 13 and currently studying A2 Psychology and A2 English Language so I've already done them at AS so feel free to ask me for any help! Just message me :smile:

I really enjoyed studying English language at AS and I found it really interesting and just loved the subject. My coursework involved me having to write a story and an editorial with style models to base them on and then afterwards we had to write commentaries to explain why we used the linguistic features we did.

For the exam we did categorising texts and then a language & technology section. In my coursework I got an A, but in the exam I got a D, even though my essays in the lessons were being graded at A/Bs!! So I got a C overall which I was really disappointed with, so I'm going to re-sit it next year and fingers crossed I will do better!!!!!

Tell me what help you need specifically via message and then I'll happily tell you more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Shaz4271
hey guys I've just joined the student room so I don't know if I am doing this properly..:colondollar: Currently I am doing 4 A levels which are English Lang, Psychology, Sociology and Law I am doing quite well in these as levels but I am REALLY struggling with English language and we have a coursework coming up and I hope that I can get help from you guys, I revise a lot but the highest I have had is a C :frown: and I really do not want to get a C in any of my A levels. I hope you guys can help me, Thanks.

What is the coursework you're doing? I did A Level English Language and actually still study it as kind of a hobby (nerdy I know), so I might be able to help.
Reply 4
Original post by Tom_green_day
What do you need help with though? :s-smilie:
I need help with the course works like we have to choose two completely different things to write about and we have to have hard target audience so I cant to something for teenagers if I want to get a high B or an A and I am just confused about what to write about, I was thinking of doing a hotel review for middle agers for one but am not sure if that is a good idea or not..:confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Student_27
Hi!

I'm in year 13 and currently studying A2 Psychology and A2 English Language so I've already done them at AS so feel free to ask me for any help! Just message me :smile:

I really enjoyed studying English language at AS and I found it really interesting and just loved the subject. My coursework involved me having to write a story and an editorial with style models to base them on and then afterwards we had to write commentaries to explain why we used the linguistic features we did.

For the exam we did categorising texts and then a language & technology section. In my coursework I got an A, but in the exam I got a D, even though my essays in the lessons were being graded at A/Bs!! So I got a C overall which I was really disappointed with, so I'm going to re-sit it next year and fingers crossed I will do better!!!!!

Tell me what help you need specifically via message and then I'll happily tell you more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I hope you can get your A when you resit so best wishes, :smile: what I need help with is the course work this is because I have to write something that is out of my comfort zone so I have to do something for a hard target audience e.g middle agers, I was thinking of doing a hotel review for middle agers but I am not sure if that is good or not, what did you do for your coursework? and how did you revise which I want to start from now even though my exam is in june. I hope you can help and thank you:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Nerol
What is the coursework you're doing? I did A Level English Language and actually still study it as kind of a hobby (nerdy I know), so I might be able to help.
Hi, I am not sure what coursework I am doing I was thinking of doing a hotel review for one but I am not really sure if that is a good idea or not, and this is something which I am struggling with because I am sure once I know what to write about ill be fine its just the starting which I find difficult. I hope you can give me some ideas thanks!:smile:
I need help with the course works like we have to choose two completely different things to write about and we have to have hard target audience so I cant to something for teenagers if I want to get a high B or an A and I am just confused about what to write about, I was thinking of doing a hotel review for middle agers for one but am not sure if that is a good idea or not..:confused:

Any idea is a good idea if you know what you're writing about. You can't just pull an idea out of your arse, it needs to be something you have knowledge on.
Hi, I'm in year 13 and doing A2 AQA English language and A2 Edexcel Psychology. I got an A in English (A in coursework and exam) and B in psychology (4 off an A :angry:). So if you need any help, then PM :smile:

Just bare in mind that English is a very difficult thing to teach, it's just practise and practise of questions and seeing where you lose marks etc. I did loads of past papers/essays. With the coursework (if you're on the same board as me), it's about being original and perceptive about ideas. Good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi, I am not sure what coursework I am doing I was thinking of doing a hotel review for one but I am not really sure if that is a good idea or not, and this is something which I am struggling with because I am sure once I know what to write about ill be fine its just the starting which I find difficult. I hope you can give me some ideas thanks!:smile:

Well, what is the specification?

I did AQA ENGA, and the AS coursework was 'Language & Representations', which involved an analysis and a production piece. The A2 coursework was a language investigation and intervention. If you tell me what specification you are doing, I can probably help more.
Reply 10
Original post by Nerol
Well, what is the specification?

I did AQA ENGA, and the AS coursework was 'Language & Representations', which involved an analysis and a production piece. The A2 coursework was a language investigation and intervention. If you tell me what specification you are doing, I can probably help more.

AQA AS language spec B we have to pick 2 things (anything) to write about that is completely different.
Reply 11
Original post by bubble999
Hi, I'm in year 13 and doing A2 AQA English language and A2 Edexcel Psychology. I got an A in English (A in coursework and exam) and B in psychology (4 off an A :angry:). So if you need any help, then PM :smile:

Just bare in mind that English is a very difficult thing to teach, it's just practise and practise of questions and seeing where you lose marks etc. I did loads of past papers/essays. With the coursework (if you're on the same board as me), it's about being original and perceptive about ideas. Good luck :smile:

Thanks, I already do this but I didn't know if this is the right way of revising, because others in my class revise completely differently from but hey what works for them may not work for me.
well my family owns hotels so I would know a lot about it so that is why am thinking of doing it, the idea hasn't just come thin air....

Well what are you into, what are your main passions? That should be what you do it about.
Reply 13
Original post by Tom_green_day
Well what are you into, what are your main passions? That should be what you do it about.

Thanks and yeah I will do something that I am passionate about and something that I have a lot of knowledge on.
Reply 14
For my coursework I did a comedy review article in the style of Charlie Brooker :biggrin: It was really fun to write and got me good marks because it was a niche TA (middle age guardian readers lol). I think it's easy once you find a style of writing you like because then you just pick out the salient features and emulate it. The problem with doing a hotel review is that unless you have a good amount of experience reading them it might turn out quite dull!

My advice ; Find something you don't like (I did the film paranormal activity), and then write a hateful article in the style of Brooker, using crazy metaphors and plenty of tongue in cheek sarcasm. Success!
Reply 15
You guys doing WJEC A-level English Language, then I might be able to help. Whether your doing WJEC or another exam board, you should look into purchasing the CGP A-level English Language revision books, they even cover the coursework as well. Also you should download all the past papers and mark schemes from the past years. If anyone needs past papers for WJEC, I should be able to send them, think I'm got them saved somewhere.
Reply 16
Thanks, I already do this but I didn't know if this is the right way of revising, because others in my class revise completely differently from but hey what works for them may not work for me.

First of all, don't think of a target audience as merely an age group. You could write for people of different ages who are linked by a shared hobby (which gives you the chance to write about one of your hobbies). Also, I don't see why you can't write for a teenage audience. As long as you can do it well, this won't stop you getting a high grade (remember your other piece will have a different purpose and target audience, so you will still be demonstrating a range of skills).

Perhaps you could write a humorous instructional piece on using the internet for older people, or you could write a monologue from a teenager who is addicted to video games, or you could write a letter to a school principal trying to persuade them to change the lunch menu. The possibilities are limitless.

I recommend choosing the two types of writing you enjoy most (informative, persuasive, entertaining...) and then make a mind-map of topics you have an interest in. This method always helps me to get the creative juices flowing.
Reply 17
Original post by Nerol
First of all, don't think of a target audience as merely an age group. You could write for people of different ages who are linked by a shared hobby (which gives you the chance to write about one of your hobbies). Also, I don't see why you can't write for a teenage audience. As long as you can do it well, this won't stop you getting a high grade (remember your other piece will have a different purpose and target audience, so you will still be demonstrating a range of skills).

Perhaps you could write a humorous instructional piece on using the internet for older people, or you could write a monologue from a teenager who is addicted to video games, or you could write a letter to a school principal trying to persuade them to change the lunch menu. The possibilities are limitless.

I recommend choosing the two types of writing you enjoy most (informative, persuasive, entertaining...) and then make a mind-map of topics you have an interest in. This method always helps me to get the creative juices flowing.

thanks soo much this really helps.:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by cuppaJo
For my coursework I did a comedy review article in the style of Charlie Brooker :biggrin: It was really fun to write and got me good marks because it was a niche TA (middle age guardian readers lol). I think it's easy once you find a style of writing you like because then you just pick out the salient features and emulate it. The problem with doing a hotel review is that unless you have a good amount of experience reading them it might turn out quite dull!

My advice ; Find something you don't like (I did the film paranormal activity), and then write a hateful article in the style of Brooker, using crazy metaphors and plenty of tongue in cheek sarcasm. Success!

thanks and congrats on getting a good grade in it.:smile:
Reply 19
Hi! I'm doing English Language and Psychology at A2, I did them last year at As level. I got a B overall in English Language and an A in Psychology. Aiming for A in Language and A* in Psychology :smile:

In my coursework for English Language I only dropped 3 ums marks, so if anyone wants any help with anything feel free to message me, I'll love to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending