The Student Room Group

The degrees most likely to land you In McDonalds...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by lilyobz
zzzz lame generic grammar Nazi.. :rolleyes:

Oh imagine you're a grandma and you're grandchildren say:

'Let's eat grandma!'

'Let's eat, Grandma!'

Would you know which one should have you worried!
Original post by lilyobz
Medicine, with the quality of their food people will need an on-queue Doctor there lol.

Reply 82
Original post by a729
Oh imagine you're a grandma and you're grandchildren say:

'Let's eat grandma!'

'Let's eat, Grandma!'

Would you know which one should have you worried!

People don't speak commas.

How much of a pause would you put in if you were saying that to your grandma? I wouldn't put any pause into that sentence when saying it.
Media Studies , Music , Art , Criminology.

Thats all i have got so far
Reply 84
Original post by Luketreherne
Media Studies , Music , Art , Criminology.

Thats all i have got so far

I saw some scrounger on Channel 4 news saying he refused to work in a retail job whilst searching for work, instead he insisted on being on JSA untill he could find a job related to his mickey mouse media degree. I work in retail part time aside college and I am paying for this ****er to sit on his arse untill he finds a job for his useless degree and im forced to do this! Insane and channel 4 were trying to create sympathy for him
Geography is number 1... right, well, I can't speak for elsewhere but clearly that makes sense given that geography grads at Cambridge have the 3rd highest salary of any arts subject there... with practically zero unemployment... O_o
Reply 86
Original post by Bulbasaur
Geography is number 1... right, well, I can't speak for elsewhere but clearly that makes sense given that geography grads at Cambridge have the 3rd highest salary of any arts subject there... with practically zero unemployment... O_o

Good example. Cambridge is a pretty typical place :smile:
Reply 87
nope
Original post by Biblio
I saw some scrounger on Channel 4 news saying he refused to work in a retail job whilst searching for work, instead he insisted on being on JSA untill he could find a job related to his mickey mouse media degree. I work in retail part time aside college and I am paying for this ****er to sit on his arse untill he finds a job for his useless degree and im forced to do this! Insane and channel 4 were trying to create sympathy for him

I belive i have seen the same programme of which you talk of. The facts and figures surrounding the employability of graduates with different degrees is all there for everyone and anyone to view for free and always has and will be. It is simply a matter of looking at these figures interpreting for themselves and making a infromed decision on the back of that.

This was realsed by the ONS (Office of national Stasitics) on monday , you ought to look at it , it opened my eyes that is for sure.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_337841.pdf
Reply 89
Original post by Quady
The UK only has so many murders a year.
Therefore there are only so many crime scene investigators required.
CSI prompted vast numbers of people to get degrees trying do the exciting made up jazz they saw on TV.

The numbers don't work...

-Work harder and beat the competition.
- Do something similar that is still relevant, if you are good at what you do, become a private detective, I'm sure they earn lots and can get involved in interesting cases.
- Look for jobs in other countries, no one is restricting you to the UK, if it doesn't work out here, you can try elsewhere.

Original post by arson_fire
Oh the innocence........:smile:

So you are telling me you would rather do a degree you don't enjoy so you have a higher chance of getting a job then one you do enjoy because it might not lead to a job? That's the same as giving up on your dreams.

Original post by Tackla
Lot of people do journalism but cant find a job because its not what you know but who you know. Not always good to do a degree you really enjoy but has little prospects or chances of getting you in a job.

I agree that knowing people makes it a lot easier in certain fields, life isn't fair but if you work hard, you will find a way to break through the system.

Doing such a degree might be a risk, but life is full of risks, would you rather try and fail or never find out if you could? Maybe some do.

Me personally, I'm interested in so many stuff that I didn't have much of a problem finding a reasonably "safe" degree to apply for but I'm hoping I'll have chances to change careers. If I had something I really wanted to do, I would have definitely followed that path.
Reply 90
Original post by dada55
-Work harder and beat the competition.

Thats not in-keeping with 'everyone can succeed'.
Reply 91
The website seems to be down right now, but I assume it's the same website I saw last night, where geography tops the list and history is randomly put in the middle.

It's basically an excuse to slag off less academically rigorous degrees (plus geography, history and psychology which are considerably more academic than a lot of the others on there).

On an aside, I've personally changed from a subject which has some of the best graduation prospects to a subject which falls under the umbrella of 'geography'.
Reply 92
Original post by Quady
Thats not in-keeping with 'everyone can succeed'.

Never said everyone can succeed. That's true for everything, even medicine. In both my posts I said that if you work hard you will be able to reach your goals, therefore such a list is stupid and can influence people's degree decision and possibly destroy their dreams.
Original post by Quady
Good example. Cambridge is a pretty typical place :smile:

Well I can't see why the relative position of geography in terms of employment would change here as opposed to other unis. Certainly there's nothing to suggest it would be worse.... just looking at some stats from other unis geography definitely doesn't seem below average....
Original post by Biblio
You are paying? What is this retailer that pays 17 year olds so much, that even part-time, they earn above and beyond the personal tax-free allowance of £9440 per year (thus earning enough to pay income tax) and over £149 per week ( the minimum boundary for class 1 NI contributions)?

If you're earning less than that, and there's deductions showing on your payslips, that's all going to get refunded after the end of the tax year. Usually comes through automatically by August, at latest.
https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/basics.htm
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 95
Really, in a lot of cases it's 40% degree subject, 20% work experience and 40% personality that gets you a good job.

I know people who did less academic degrees who are at the top of their game at the moment because they wowed in interviews. They're the ones who also had some degree of work experience and extra curriculars that they could really talk up in an interview.

I'm only 0.5 for 3. Not sure how I managed to get myself a job sometimes.. I feel like I have the personality of a scallop at work sometimes. HR were having an off day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Tackla
What drug are you on?

There are lack of engineers in this country

What drug are you on? His post was "Physics or engineering", so clearly a joke.

The fact that you reply specifically highlighting engineering implies your under the impression that physics isn't employable. So it would appear to be you that is misguided.
Reply 97
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
Tbh a lot of that is accurate, I used to work in a cafe a couple years ago - one girl there was bit older than me and had a degree in criminology lol.

Nice extrapolation.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I hate the way people always say "do well in life or you'll end up working in McDonald's" because most people have eaten there at some point, and wouldn't have been able to if people didn't work there.

Also, a few of my friends applied for McDonald's after graduating, but got rejected. Imagine how they feel!

The people I feel bad for are the ones who actually get graduate jobs at McDonalds. This may come as a shock to some, but they are one of the biggest brands in the world and employ graduates in respectable office roles. But alas, they are forever doomed to say 'I work for McDonalds'.
Reply 98
Original post by dada55
So you are telling me you would rather do a degree you don't enjoy so you have a higher chance of getting a job then one you do enjoy because it might not lead to a job? That's the same as giving up on your dreams.

What's wrong with that? Are you implying it's a bad idea to consider the career you'll hold for the next forty years and earning potential etcetera when choosing your degree, even if it means undertaking something you won't particularly enjoy? Seems rather short sighted.

Original post by Pipsico
Really, in a lot of cases it's 40% degree subject, 20% work experience and 40% personality that gets you a good job.

I know people who did less academic degrees who are at the top of their game at the moment because they wowed in interviews. They're the ones who also had some degree of work experience and extra curriculars that they could really talk up in an interview.

I'm only 0.5 for 3. Not sure how I managed to get myself a job sometimes.. I feel like I have the personality of a scallop at work sometimes. HR were having an off day!

In reality in a lot of cases it's much more weighted towards experience than degree subject.
Reply 99
Original post by Lord Harold
Criminology.

Your ignorance is appaling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending