The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7340
Original post by keromedic
I'm joking :tongue:

Seriously what is the normal way of revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
Seriously what is the normal way of revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's one normal method :tongue:
Reply 7342
Original post by Qari
Never sure whether you're serious or you are joking :smile:

One of the many Oasis Academies you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finchley Catholic High School
Reply 7343
I don't think there's one normal method :tongue:

So how do you revise?
Original post by Prinz655
Finchley Catholic High School

And mine is Oasis Academy Lister Park

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
So how do you revise?

And mine is Oasis Academy Lister Park

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mines oldham sixth form.
From the textboook and vids. Nothing fancy and making good notes.
Reply 7345
Mines oldham sixth form.
From the textboook and vids. Nothing fancy and making good notes.

don't learn by reading from textbook doesn't go in.
And is it the oldham 6th form college? I havr cousins in both types of oldham colleges.
Did u do physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
And is it the oldham 6th form college? I havr cousins in both types of oldham colleges.
Did u do physics?

I see. Not just reading, doing the exercises :biggrin:
Yep, cool.
Nope
Original post by Qari

I find the best way is to use a book and write things out over and over until I can write it again from memory! You can help remember it by reading it aloud to yourself. (Or if you have siblings, force them to listen as it really helps :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7348
I see. Not just reading, doing the exercises :biggrin:
Yep, cool.
Nope

Oldham colleges are weird. Rather just have one college like Bradford do :biggrin:

Original post by Lucy96
I find the best way is to use a book and write things out over and over until I can write it again from memory! You can help remember it by reading it aloud to yourself. (Or if you have siblings, force them to listen as it really helps :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will try the writing thing, not reading it to siblings don't want to put them off :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Qari
Oldham colleges are weird. Rather just have one college like Bradford do :smile:

I will try the writing thing, not reading it to siblings don't want to put them off :tongue:

lol
Reply 7350
lol

What can I say. I speak my mind :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if you get the equations given to you in maths and further maths exams at A level, i.e the SUVAT equations for M1. ....Also is there a rule against a calculator being too advanced cos my tutor said there is which seems pretty weird??
Original post by Millerman
Does anyone know if you get the equations given to you in maths and further maths exams at A level, i.e the SUVAT equations for M1. ....Also is there a rule against a calculator being too advanced cos my tutor said there is which seems pretty weird??

You're not given the SUVAT equations. I'd suggest against a graphic calculator etc., a CASIO fx-991ES plus would be a good choice though.
Reply 7353

If you have one of those graphical calculators they are not allowed.
And Yes but you don't get every single equation sometimes. Ask your teacher to print you one off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari

Posted from TSR Mobile

It honestly works very well :tongue: haha fair enough :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
If you have one of those graphical calculators they are not allowed.
And Yes but you don't get every single equation sometimes. Ask your teacher to print you one off

Posted from TSR Mobile

Print what off? the equation sheet?
Original post by usycool1
You're not given the SUVAT equations. I'd suggest against a graphic calculator etc., a CASIO fx-991ES plus would be a good choice though.

what they actually check my calculator though, just out of curiosity?
what they actually check my calculator though, just out of curiosity?

Probably not, but still don't take in a banned one :wink:

Nope, you get nothing for M1, although not that difficult to remember. For calculators if it can do algebra symbolically then it's not allowed although numerical calculators e.g. finding indefinite integrals and stuff like that is allowed. In my school the teachers never check calculators and they don't "Reset" the memory either so you can take one which isn't allowed although there's still a risk and it also gets on your conscious that you cheated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Qari
Oldham colleges are weird. Rather just have one college like Bradford do :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I make brief summary notes at the beginning of my revision 'cycle'. Then I spend ages going over them and reading supplementary from textbooks, etc. I find it helps if you make colourful and varied notes, e.g bullet points of key info, date timelines, drawings and spider diagrams where appropriate, etc.

Once I've been over the notes thoroughly I hit the past papers for sciences and maths, under exam conditions and then mark and most importantly, learn the mark schemes and where I've gone wrong. Then I focus revision on those topics and do practice qs before attempting the next paper. For essay subjects I just do detailed plans because I find writing essays can waste too much time during revision; my plans contain all the information to write a good essay, all one would need to do is put that into prose. Then near exam time I just read over all of this, again.

I hope that helps a little bit. For what it's worth, there is no 'one size fits all' approach to revision that works. The above method was developed by my over the last few years and I've gradually become more effective at revising. But I would stress that, for most people, reading from textbooks and notes alone is not enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest