The Student Room Group

Lost my 'soulmate'

So I don't totally believe in soulmates, but if I did then this person would be it. We could be on the phone for 4 hours and it would feel like only 10 minutes had passed. Sometimes I'd have no clue what we'd even been talking about because it would be about absolute rubbish.. but it was fun. Call it chemistry, call it a connection, I don't know, but it was something I don't have with anyone else and I don't think I ever will.

We weren't 'together' but we did like each other. I wont go into the whole back story to why we couldn't be together but it means now, after about 8 years, this person couldn't take it anymore. They decided to cut off all contact with me, just like that. It's breaking my heart not being able to speak to them everyday, I feel lost.

What can I do to stop feeling like this? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If she/he cut contact altogether she probably really liked you and was waiting for years for you to make a move or tell him/her that you liked him/her but couldn't take it anymore. It sounds like you could possibly still have something with him/her if you tell them how you feel before it's too late.
Reply 2
Great connections are not easy, what life is all about. Try everything to re-connect. I assume you are a hetrosexual couple
Original post by Zenomorph
I assume you are a hetrosexual couple

Lol at how irrelevant this is
Reply 4
Original post by McFlury
If she/he cut contact altogether she probably really liked you and was waiting for years for you to make a move or tell him/her that you liked him/her but couldn't take it anymore. It sounds like you could possibly still have something with him/her if you tell them how you feel before it's too late.

Great connections are not easy, what life is all about. Try everything to re-connect. I assume you are a hetrosexual couple

Sorry I should have made that clearer. I'm a girl, he's a boy. This isn't my account on here, just a friend's who couldn't give me any advice on the matter so told me to write on here instead!

Anyway, he knows I like him. A lot. But we can't be together..... It hurts like hell that we can't but I accepted it and just got on with how things were because I didn't want to lose that sort of connection with someone, even if we could only be friends. He accepted it too, until now it seems. I guess he got fed up with the situation or something :frown: Even though we werent together as a couple, he was still always there. Now I just have this lonliness that won't go away :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Straight up G
Lol at how irrelevant this is

I was thinking the same. It could possibly have made some sense if it was part of a point being made, but no, just at the end of the comment. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by JustMe20
Sorry I should have made that clearer. I'm a girl, he's a boy. This isn't my account on here, just a friend's who couldn't give me any advice on the matter so told me to write on here instead!

Anyway, he knows I like him. A lot. But we can't be together..... It hurts like hell that we can't but I accepted it and just got on with how things were because I didn't want to lose that sort of connection with someone, even if we could only be friends. He accepted it too, until now it seems. I guess he got fed up with the situation or something :frown: Even though we werent together as a couple, he was still always there. Now I just have this lonliness that won't go away :frown:

Why not, you're not cousins are you? :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by McFlury

Hahaha, noooo nothing like that!!
Reply 8
Hahaha, noooo nothing like that!!

Why not then? I'm just interested as I feel similar about a friend, you don't have to be too detailed.
Reply 9
Original post by McFlury

LOOL That would be so weird...:biggrin:
Reply 10
Did you like him a lot, but he didn't feel the same about you? Or he was in a relationship with someone else? I was in this situation before, we had a lot of arguments before we decided we should end it.
Reply 11
Original post by McFlury
Why not then? I'm just interested as I feel similar about a friend, you don't have to be too detailed.

Original post by AnharM
Did you like him a lot, but he didn't feel the same about you? Or he was in a relationship with someone else? I was in this situation before, we had a lot of arguments before we decided we should end it.

AnharM: No, we both liked each other, both single.

McFlurry: It was too complicated. We had discussed being together but agreed it wouldn't work just because of the circumstances. We live far apart, we have totally different lives so visiting isn't even much of an option. We used to see each other all the time, but then life/growing up happened lol, and we couldn't anymore. But we still made the effort to talk everyday. The thing is, we both agreed it was best not to get into a relationship regardless of how much we both wanted to, but now he seems to given up on me altogther. Him cutting off contact was so sudden, there was no explanation for it, nothing had changed.
Reply 12

I don't understand why you two can't see each other , is it cause of distance ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
I don't understand why you two can't see each other , is it cause of distance ?

I don't think it's important here why we're not together in a relationship sense, because the fact is we both agreed to not get into one regardless of how we felt. This had been the case for years, so what is troubling and upsetting me is why he suddenly, drastically changed and decided to cut me out of his life forever. He wont answer my calls or messages, this happened a week ago so I've given up trying to change his mind now. But I feel absolutely awful, that's why I'm on here asking how I can feel better about losing such a close friend.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14

McFlurry: It was too complicated. We had discussed being together but agreed it wouldn't work just because of the circumstances. We live far apart, we have totally different lives so visiting isn't even much of an option. We used to see each other all the time, but then life/growing up happened lol, and we couldn't anymore. But we still made the effort to talk everyday. The thing is, we both agreed it was best not to get into a relationship regardless of how much we both wanted to, but now he seems to given up on me altogther. Him cutting off contact was so sudden, there was no explanation for it, nothing had changed.

Ah, I suppose that is what it's like with my friend, we have never discussed being more than friends but I guess I've left it too late and growing up/ moving away is bound to change everything.

He probably really does want to be with you but realises he cannot due to circumstances, like you said. Maybe he finds it too hard being reminded of what he could have had so cutting contact was the best thing to do so that he could focus on moving on in his life.
Reply 15
I don't know whether your first comment there is actually sarcastic or not...
I left out the details because I didn't think it was important, we aren't in a relationship, we could have been 2 hetero male or female friends, it doesn't really matter. However the responses seemed to imply that this was important so I thought I'd just clarify!

Anyway, I don't think it's important here why we're not together in a relationship sense, because the fact is we both agreed to not get into one regardless of how we felt. This had been the case for years, so what is troubling and upsetting me is why he suddenly, drastically changed and decided to cut me out of his life forever. He wont answer my calls or messages, this happened a week ago so I've given up trying to change his mind now. But I feel absolutely awful, that's why I'm on here asking how I can feel better about losing such a close friend.

Well if you're going to be confrontational to someone trying to help you, you'd better try figure things out for yourself since you are so smart.

Or perhaps not since you mis-read my 1st statement, for your edification I said - words to the effect " For what I have to say ". * what I... I.... I * .

Get it ? It applies only to me and not to anything else.

Anyway thanks, good bye and good luck, with your attitude I think you may need it.

Don't bother reply cause I won't be around. list.... ignore, you.... yeah ?
Reply 16
Well if you're going to be confrontational to someone trying to help you, you'd better try figure things out for yourself since you are so smart.

Or perhaps not since you mis-read my 1st statement, for your edification I said - words to the effect " For what I have to say ". * what I... I.... I * .

Anyway thanks, good bye and good luck, with your attitude I think you may need it.

Hi
It's not her account, don't punish poor person who let her acc to share her story :smile:
Have a nice day ^_^

What on earth are you banging on about?
Reply 18

I seriously don't know where I've even been confrontational to you? If I was then I apologise.. I thought I'd clarify the on my original post as I thought it seemed important to people, then you mentioned something about LGBT couples so I thought best to say why I had to clarify, not because I think there's a difference.... Anyway, whatever, we seem to be on different wavelengths so thanks for the responses and goodbye.

* Edit - If you mean the 2nd paragraph where I said I don't think it's important why we're not together, then I meant that because I had written a comment before that explaning the same thing so I assumed it would just be read there. I don't use this forum normally so again I apologise if that wasn't the case!
(edited 10 years ago)
Well nice to know you are regular BG couple cause what I say doesn't apply to LBGT - they have their own ways as far as I am concerned.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? How are their "ways" any different to a heterosexual couple?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending