The Student Room Group

Half of recent graduates are in non-graduate jobs

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5a6a66a0-5103-11e3-b499-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2l9IthKHK

Couple of key points:
- Annual earnings for those with a degree increase at a fast pace as they become older and more experienced, before levelling out about age 38 at a median of £35,000 a year, the ONS said.
- We now have increased debts and lower pay (12% on average compared to the last generation) i believe average pay is falling 0.7% overall

What do you think of this? will the 9K fees help or hinder this trend?

Scroll to see replies

The increase in fees should make little difference, as students can still get a loan to cover it. It might make a slight difference to people who aren't eligible for fees paid, but for the vast majority it will stay the same, and in a couple of years it will all seem normal.

Even if there was an effect, there are so many people in jobs that aren't ideal for their qualifications because there were no other positions available then it might take years for the effect to show anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
The increase in fees should make little difference, as students can still get a loan to cover it. It might make a slight difference to people who aren't eligible for fees paid, but for the vast majority it will stay the same, and in a couple of years it will all seem normal.

Even if there was an effect, there are so many people in jobs that aren't ideal for their qualifications because there were no other positions available then it might take years for the effect to show anyway.

So were all screwed? :tongue:
You can't have a massive increase in graduates and then expect there to be plenty of graduate level jobs onto professional career ladders available.

Reminds me of a comic or something that imagined if everyone became a doctor like their parents wanted.

It was funny via absurdity.
Reply 4
I doubt it had been all that different for over 20 years?
Original post by Alfissti
I doubt it had been all that different for over 20 years?

Agreed.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill_Gates
So were all screwed? :tongue:

Not really, there are the same proportion of good jobs as ever, just more grads.

Make sure you aren't one of the rubbish ones.

If £35k is the median, half do better to some extent, the mean would have been higher too.
Reply 7
Original post by Quady
Not really, there are the same proportion of good jobs as ever, just more grads.

Make sure you aren't one of the rubbish ones.

If £35k is the median, half do better to some extent, the mean would have been higher too.

Its still a crazy amount of competition for a few jobs. Age 38 median of 35k isn't really a lot to be honest. I think having a degree has been devalued enormously!

Yet we still have to get in more debt, property prices are higher and jobs are more insecure.
Reply 8
I have no sympathy for them, dog eat dog world. Those who do not adapt lose out. Added to this, I just don't like students.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr_Vain
I have no sympathy for them, dog eat dog world. Those who do not adapt lose out. Added to this, I just don't like students.

LOL what are you doing on a student forum?
Reply 10
LOL what are you doing on a student forum?

I like talking about football.
Reply 11
Its still a crazy amount of competition for a few jobs. Age 38 median of 35k isn't really a lot to be honest. I think having a degree has been devalued enormously!

Yet we still have to get in more debt, property prices are higher and jobs are more insecure.

Whats the median for non grads at 38?

The median graduate graduate went to Kent and did psychology getting a high 2.ii.If you're getting a degree which wouldn't have existed back in the day, or under a 2.i theres not much point in having gone. Get a 2.i from a top 20 uni in a sensible course with a bit of work experience you'll be fine. Apart from the work experience, thats the same as yesteryear.

Property prices are higher, but interest rates are rock bottom - its cheaper to buy now than other times in the last decade. Meh jobs are insecure at the bottom end, but decent jobs have the stability they always have had. Accountants, doctors, teachers, solicitors.

Perhaps I have a rosey view as age 29 I'm more than 30% above that median for where I should be in a decade's time. That and I know I couldn't have done it without the degree ticket.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr_Vain
I like talking about football.

God thats hot.
Reply 13
Original post by Quady
God thats hot.

Are you flirting with me?
Reply 14
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Some people don't like the idea of £50k debt hanging over their heads.
Reply 15
Original post by Quady
Whats the median for non grads at 38?

The median graduate graduate went to Kent and did psychology getting a high 2.ii.If you're getting a degree which wouldn't have existed back in the day, or under a 2.i theres not much point in having gone. Get a 2.i from a top 20 uni in a sensible course with a bit of work experience you'll be fine. Apart from the work experience, thats the same as yesteryear.

Property prices are higher, but interest rates are rock bottom - its cheaper to buy now than other times in the last decade. Meh jobs are insecure at the bottom end, but decent jobs have the stability they always have had. Accountants, doctors, teachers, solicitors.

Perhaps I have a rosey view as age 29 I'm more than 30% above that median for where I should be in a decade's time. That and I know I couldn't have done it without the degree ticket.

How is it cheaper to buy now? lol property has appreciated enormously regardless of low interest rates which you cant fix forever! Those careers are more unstable now! especially with public cut backs. Everyone's a solicitor now lol.

I agree with the top 20 mark but you will find people struggling even at top unis.
Reply 16
Original post by Mr_Vain

And you support this? :s-smilie: It's not fair. I know that sounds like a 4 year old, but it really isn't. Why should I have to adapt/conform to be like everyone else?
Reply 17
Original post by Mr_Vain

Yeah I love guys who like to talk football with people they don't like.

Its so masculine, yum!
Reply 18
Original post by Quady
Yeah I love guys who like to talk football with people they don't like.

Its so masculine, yum!

I like Arsenal fans. Who do you support?
Reply 19
Original post by Mr_Vain

Take it easy, player. :cool:

Sometimes you gotta stop being vain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending