The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Could somebody answer this for me please?

I applied last year and was going to use my same application this time round (just with a few changes and additions with what i have done in the last year) as it got me interviews last time round. But last year on the GTTR system you had a personal statement section (47 lines) and a work experience section (think about 20 lines). Just looked at the UCAS info and it looks like you only get 47 lines for the whole lot - will this be the case or have i missed something?
Original post by swarfliam
I would assume its ten working days. Either way, 6 isn't ideal but if you have more coming up in the next few months make sure to mention it in your personal statement!

I won't be sending my application until next month so assuming I don't increase my volunteering days at one of the schools, it will be 10. But I plan to increase volunteering days so I get 13 days by december. Anyway, I am volunteering at the two schools for the whole academic years.
Reply 1342
Original post by andy1234567
Could somebody answer this for me please?

I applied last year and was going to use my same application this time round (just with a few changes and additions with what i have done in the last year) as it got me interviews last time round. But last year on the GTTR system you had a personal statement section (47 lines) and a work experience section (think about 20 lines). Just looked at the UCAS info and it looks like you only get 47 lines for the whole lot - will this be the case or have i missed something?

It's still there,

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/filling-in-your-application

Section 6 :smile:

Don't panic!!

xxx
Thanks

I have seen that bit but it just says list your jobs and schools you have volunteered at. It doesn't say you'll get so many lines to write about your experience.
Reply 1344
Probably a very stupid question, but... with Schools Direct being merged into UCAS does this mean there will be less Uni/SCITT courses?
it says if you want to do this, you should include this within your personal statement.
Reply 1346
Original post by andy1234567
Thanks

I have seen that bit but it just says list your jobs and schools you have volunteered at. It doesn't say you'll get so many lines to write about your experience.

I'm pretty certain that is that same bit. Just a box next to the personal statement bit yeah? No fields or anything (location, date, etc) just a box.

Original post by Fen2k
Probably a very stupid question, but... with Schools Direct being merged into UCAS does this mean there will be less Uni/SCITT courses?

Schools direct is essentially a type of SCITT. This year, yes, it seems there will be a massive increase in the number of School Direct places and a reduction in the number of uni based PGCEs.

xxx
I've just seen someone a few posts back, state that references are given 42 lines to write their statement? I'm pretty sure on UCAS it said 47 lines and as such I've told my referees they have 47 lines...please someone calm me down?!
Original post by Descartes93
I've just seen someone a few posts back, state that references are given 42 lines to write their statement? I'm pretty sure on UCAS it said 47 lines and as such I've told my referees they have 47 lines...please someone calm me down?!

Definitely 47 lines for referees, same as us with our personal statement.
Reply 1349
Original post by Fabay
My tutor at uni who is writing my reference looked over my personal statement and said it was good but I just need to add in what I can bring to teaching..e.g. Hardworking etc. anyone have any tips on how I can write this within 3-4 lines ? Like I just need a way of starting it off. It will be my last paragraph and so far I've said why I want to teach and talked about my work experience... Any help would be great thanks!!!

Maybe something like this will help:

therefore my experiences/skills demonstrate that I am a hardworking/diligent individual who will no doubt use these skills to become a n extremely effective teacher...

Thats an an example how you can structure it hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1350
Original post by magic_box
Ok, after having serious thoughts about this I now think I'm just going to apply to 2 unis in Apply 1 as they are the places I really would love to go to and want to throw everything into them.
My third option was going to be a SCITT/Schools Direct place further away from home but the more I think about it the more I know I would prefer the PGCE option at these particular Unis at this time.

Scared that this risky strategy may leave me with nothing but applying for something for the sake of putting a third option down probably isn't smart either...

I don't see the point in not applying to a third choice, personally.

Not this year, anyway - in previous years where you made separate applications for SD places, then yes - I can understand thinking it is better to "put more effort in where you really want to go" and not spending extra time on a third, separate (and time consuming!) application...

But this year? I'd apply for the third (School Direct) option too. It's all done using UCAS - it's still just one application form whether you apply for one, two or three choices, including School Direct, so you don't have to do anything extra whatsoever at this stage.

And if you decide you really don't wanna go down the School Direct route later on you can just say you cannot attend the interview/go to interview and reject any possible offers/withdraw your application. It might not be so easy to do it the other way around and apply later as places on the SD route might have already gone by the time you get your theoretical rejections!

TL;DR version: applying to a third option takes no extra effort at this stage - so nothing to lose but potentially something/everything to gain. I'm not saying necessarily that you should consider it equal to your other choices - it's completely fine to have a first/second/third best option (in previous years you actually did rank your choices this way on your application form... awkward!) but surely it is better to apply - seeing as though you're going through the pain in the arse that is UCAS anyway - and leave the "but do I/don't I wanna go down this route" conversation later, if and when you come to that bridge.

I know I'd personally feel like a complete turnip if my other two choices both rejected me and I'd be constantly thinking "what if". Not worth it for the extra few minutes it takes to apply!

Also before anyone mentions it not being fair on other potential applicants - completely fine and fair. Most of us on here are applying to three choices - we can all only attend one! So I'd wager 80%+ of us will end up turning one or more offers down, assuming we get multiple offers in the first place. It's a known fact, and planned for - unis have reserve lists that they go to if more than the expected number of applicants withdraw/reject offers, etc.

Just my opinion :smile: I'd hate to see you not get on your two choices and be sad next summer for the sake of just adding another choice to UCAS!
Reply 1351
Original post by Captainconehead
Quick question regarding the personal statement. Is everyone just inputting as much information in as possible or are you leaving space for clear gaps showing a new paragraph starting?

My statement flows and looks much neater with typical paragraphs included but this puts me 6 lines over!

If I just cram it all in as wall big wall of text I'm bang on 47 lines?!

I would much rather it be more visually striking but obviously I would compromise this for more information yet the biggest fear I have is that the providers may think I don't know when to input paragraphs properly when really its just that I'm desperate to make every word count!

Any feedback would be great!

Good luck to all those applying.

Yes - this is the third personal statement I've wrote so far (I have applied to undergrad courses twice now in the past - got conditional and then unconditional offers from ALL the unis I applied to both times, too) and I always leave a gap in between paragraphs.

The Careers lady at uni described it best - paragraphs aren't just about making it look nicer to read. It's about showing you've put some forethought and planning in to your writing - and if the quality of your personal statement rests on the 3 or so lines you'll save/gain by omitting spaces in between paragraphs - then the rest of your personal statement is not good enough and you need to work on it some more.

A good personal statement isn't just about a checklist of what to include ("why I want to be a teacher"), it's also a reflection of how well you write more generally. If you absolutely, desperately need those extra 3-4 or so lines, then you're doing something wrong. It should be perfectly possible to write a good/better than average/great personal statement that is bang on 47 lines and under 4000 characters AND leave spaces in between paragraphs.
hi I've looked on the ucas page and the unis I was thinking of applying to are not in the course search. Does anyone know if more will be added tomorrow?? xx
Original post by graceindia
hi I've looked on the ucas page and the unis I was thinking of applying to are not in the course search. Does anyone know if more will be added tomorrow?? xx

was it this page?

http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run

if they're not on there then they may be on tomorrow, but most likely they'll be opening later as it does say different uni's have their two-week opening period at different times. which unis were you thinking of?
Sorry guys, one more q -

My personal statement is 50 lines but 3681 characters with spaces...will this fit into the box in UCAS?

Thanks
Thank you I was looking at the wrong page!! I've had a look now but my first choice York st john is not up there yet, really hope it is tomorrow! Think I'm applying to York St John, leeds trinity, leeds met or hull still can't decide between the last two! I'm thinking I might apply to hull instead of leeds met just because of the wording of the entry requirements on their web pages hull seem nicer, is that stupid? Where are you applying? xx
Reply 1356
Last year you could only apply for 2 primary PGCE places. However, UCAS says three places (didn't say primary or secondary). Question - how many PGCE primary places can we apply for?
Reply 1357
Just to say good luck to everyone for application time tomorrow! :-) let the waiting begin! xx
Original post by Descartes93
Sorry guys, one more q -

My personal statement is 50 lines but 3681 characters with spaces...will this fit into the box in UCAS?

Thanks

No it needs to be at most 47 lines and at most 4000 characters unfortunately.

Original post by graceindia
Thank you I was looking at the wrong page!! I've had a look now but my first choice York st john is not up there yet, really hope it is tomorrow! Think I'm applying to York St John, leeds trinity, leeds met or hull still can't decide between the last two! I'm thinking I might apply to hull instead of leeds met just because of the wording of the entry requirements on their web pages hull seem nicer, is that stupid? Where are you applying? xx

Fingers crossed it will be up there tomorrow then, maybe worth giving them an email/call tomorrow if its not.
I'm applying Reading, Winchester and St Mary's!
Reading's wording is very scary though so i understand where you're coming from!

Original post by Fen2k
Last year you could only apply for 2 primary PGCE places. However, UCAS says three places (didn't say primary or secondary). Question - how many PGCE primary places can we apply for?

It's definitely three places for PGCE Primary!
Just had the daftest day ever. Accidentally sent an email asking for a reference to myself rather than to the teacher, so she hadn't received it. Panicked and sent a new email out but she's replied within a few hours saying she's happy to do it. :smile: Hurray!

All those who are getting a teacher to do the reference on behalf of the head, what details are you going to put in the UCAS reference bit? Which email will you use? Ta. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending