The Student Room Group

Do unis ever change their minds?

I'm asking because I applied to the Uni of Manchester for an AAA course with AAC predicted grades. They rejected me the same week, straight off the bat, but they've emailed me today saying they've 'reviewed my predicted/achieved grades' and would like to invite me to do the 'second stage of the application process'.

So do universities ever actually change their minds? Is this what's happened or is it a mix up, and has it ever happened to you?
yeah i know someone who was initially rejected, and then got an offer later on
Reply 2
I had a university change their mind due an admin error, however they were quite oblivious to it and I had to force the issue.
Reply 3
That's pretty lucky. (:
Original post by firestvrms
I'm asking because I applied to the Uni of Manchester for an AAA course with AAC predicted grades. They rejected me the same week, straight off the bat, but they've emailed me today saying they've 'reviewed my predicted/achieved grades' and would like to invite me to do the 'second stage of the application process'.

So do universities ever actually change their minds? Is this what's happened or is it a mix up, and has it ever happened to you?

That suggests that Manchester has had a disappointing level of applications for the course and that they have gone through the reject pile and asked themselves "if we had known at the beginning that we would only have X applications by mid November would we or would we not have considered this candidate" and in your case the answer was "yes".

I have complained on other threads that universities don't re-visit previously rejected applicants when they realise recruitment is poor, so it is nice to see one doing exactly that.

I would contact them ASAP to check it is not a mix up. I would suggest phoning initially, then confirming by email. Hopefully it's not, but this is a bit unusual, so it's best to find out if it's a mistake sooner, rather than later. Hopefully it's not and you'll get an offer.
Reply 6

Yeah, happened to me for Edinburgh (medicine). Rejected initially, then they offered to put me on their waiting list in case I didn't get any other offers... got an offer from Edinburgh couple of months later :biggrin:

Basically in your situation, I would think that they've not had enough applicants so you probably have a decent shot
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
That's pretty refreshing, then. I did apply for a really competitive course (English) so they probably declined me off the bat, but didn't get as many applicants this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending