The Student Room Group

I just threw a plate at my dad. In shock.

I'm just in total shock right now. I'm shaking and can't stop crying. Me and my dad were having an argument, over what doesn't seem important now. If there's anyone that knows how to make me angry it's my dad, anyway he started yelling and I was holding a fork and plate, and I just threw it across the room and it hit him. It smashed but didn't hurt him.

Immediately afterwards I just couldn't believe what I'd done. I sat there just shocked at what I'd done and just kept saying I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that. My dad got angry, and both my parents walked out. I went outside to sit in my car for an hour. Came back in, my parents hugged me and said it was okay. But it's not okay. I threw a plate at someone in anger, and I had no control over it, it just happened like someone took over me. I'm really scared and feel really ashamed. I feel awful. I just want to run away and stay somewhere else.

I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm just in total shock that I did something like that. I get angry sometimes, sure, but nothing like that. I'm worried, and feel so ashamed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
I'm just in total shock right now. I'm shaking and can't stop crying. Me and my dad were having an argument, over what doesn't seem important now. If there's anyone that knows how to make me angry it's my dad, anyway he started yelling and I was holding a fork and plate, and I just threw it across the room and it hit him. It smashed but didn't hurt him.

Immediately afterwards I just couldn't believe what I'd done. I sat there just shocked at what I'd done and just kept saying I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that. My dad got angry, and both my parents walked out. I went outside to sit in my car for an hour. Came back in, my parents hugged me and said it was okay. But it's not okay. I threw a plate at someone in anger, and I had no control over it, it just happened like someone took over me. I'm really scared and feel really ashamed. I feel awful. I just want to run away and stay somewhere else.

I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm just in total shock that I did something like that. I get angry sometimes, sure, but nothing like that. I'm worried, and feel so ashamed.

It's nothing to worry about. He didn't get hurt so move on.
People get angry all the time and act out of instinct.
No one was hurt, but you should still try to have a bit more self control.

Move on and learn from what you did and don't repeat it.

(I've done pretty bad things to my mum when i was upset too :colondollar:)
Reply 2
are you asian?
Reply 3
Original post by lipslikemorphine
It's nothing to worry about. He didn't get hurt so move on.
People get angry all the time and act out of instinct.
No one was hurt, but you should still try to have a bit more self control.

Move on and learn from what you did and don't repeat it.

(I've done pretty bad things to my mum when i was upset too :colondollar:)

Yeah, thanks. I just feel like no-one else will forget this now and I'm just so ashamed :/ I know I'm not the only one that has done anything out of anger, it's not in my character which is why I'm a bit shocked!

Original post by flabbyjoe
are you asian?

No.
are you asian?

oh my god flabbyjoe you can't just ask people if they're asian :rolleyes:
Yeah, thanks. I just feel like no-one else will forget this now and I'm just so ashamed :/ I know I'm not the only one that has done anything out of anger, it's not in my character which is why I'm a bit shocked!

Unless you purposely did it, i wouldn't think too much into it. You probably just did it without thinking and because it was in your hand.

Your parents forgave you so they will forget about it.
Reply 6
What was the argument about?

If it was something trivial then that reaction is quite concerning. Have you had anger issues before? To do that to your own parent is pretty shocking if I'm honest and if I were your dad I would not be hugging you after...
It gonna be difficult forgetting this one...
Just move on.
Reply 8
Tbh font listen to people saying, it's okay, move on, because it is not ok. He is your father, if he is making you angry think how you make him angry as well. First, he is older than you, second, he is your father! Omg , people really forgot about importance of the family. If you feel bad, then it is a good sign, you have respect left inside you, now you need not to make him angry for few weeks, and tell him your achievements, (your good grades, how you helped someone, donated blood etc) , so he can be proud of you.
Reply 9
Well, at least you regret it. If you felt like it was a 10/10, would do again decision, that would be much more worrying.
If they've forgiven you then you're set to move on but you really can't let something like that happen again. Imagine if you did that to a stranger; get some help with the anger if you need and don't worry, your parents love you regardless.

are you asian?

lol if she were Asian and her parents like mine, she wouldn't have made it to the car...
Original post by lNurl
Tbh font listen to people saying, it's okay, move on, because it is not ok. He is your father, if he is making you angry think how you make him angry as well. First, he is older than you, second, he is your father! Omg , people really forgot about importance of the family. If you feel bad, then it is a good sign, you have respect left inside you, now you need not to make him angry for few weeks, and tell him your achievements, (your good grades, how you helped someone, donated blood etc) , so he can be proud of you.

How does this even make sense?!
That won't solve the underlying issue at all. "donated blood" :s-smilie:

No one is saying that family isn't important but unless she actually has a personality disorder or anger issues then it was a mistake and she can move on from it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by A Perfect Circle
If they've forgiven you then you're set to move on but you really can't let something like that happen again. Imagine if you did that to a stranger; get some help with the anger if you need and don't worry, your parents love you regardless.

lol if she were Asian and her parents like mine, she wouldn't have made it to the car...

Lol this. Especially the bit about her parents saying "its ok" that'd never happen with most asian parents :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by lNurl

Think you're living in the last millennium mate
Original post by lipslikemorphine
oh my god flabbyjoe you can't just ask people if they're asian :rolleyes:

This.

I mean, its obvious OP isnt asian or she would be out of house and home haha no asian parent is gunna' tolerate 'dat!
Reply 15

Sounds as if you need some anger control and management. Be grateful to your parents they raised and nurtured you that you could get angry and throw plates at them and next time do throw a plate in anger at a police constable or at a judge am sure you'd love being thrown in jail.
Reply 16
Original post by GradMed
What was the argument about?

If it was something trivial then that reaction is quite concerning. Have you had anger issues before? To do that to your own parent is pretty shocking if I'm honest and if I were your dad I would not be hugging you after...

I don't really want to say because of how stupid it sounds. It was extremely trivial, and I was all chilled out about it at first and then my dad started yelling (he is really loud and scary when he gets angry) and that made me angry that he was getting angry at such a stupid trivial thing. So I guess I got more angry over my dad's reaction rather than the actual issue.

I've never had anger issues before, it's actually one of the lesser emotions I feel, which is why I'm so shocked.

Original post by lNurl

I don't forget the importance of family, and I do respect them. I am close to both of my parents, and whilst we argue now and again we tend to get on well, so this is extremely out of character for me.
Original post by A Perfect Circle

I know that's what worries me, it was the weirdest and scariest feeling like someone else had taken over my body for the second it was thrown then I snapped out of it and just sat there like wtf did I just do?! I don't know whether to help about this because I've never been like this before so I'm just confused.
As long as you know that reacting like that is never an adequate way to deal with any situation, I guess all you can do is just learn from it.
Reply 18
I think it more bounced off him and hit the wall/floor.
Reply 19
OP sometimes in arguments, when it gets a little heated, instinct can just take over.

My brother was yelling,being threatening and getting really in my face once and i punched him in the face 3 times. I wasnt even aware id done it until he was on the floor. I hadnt even made the conscious decision to do it.

I felt awful, but after i explained and apologized he was fine with it. Its also given me a better sense of what to look out for when im feeling threatened or angry so i never do it again and keep better control of myself.

Apologize, maybe do something nice like make them a meal and learn from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending