The Student Room Group

Outlaw discrimination against fat people

I find it abhorrent that we currently allow "fatism/fatophobia" - or discrimination against overweight people - to go unpunished in our society.

How is it fair that many overweight people can be sacked from their jobs, refused service, made to order extra airline seats etc. for the way they look?

Overweight people contribute so much in tax to this country through their buying power and sustain the big snack brands.

We need to outlaw fatophobic discrimination and incitement of hatred towards fat people - just as we do with race, religion, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They have to buy more than one airline seat so part of them isn't in the space someone else has paid for. People in theory can't be sacked for being fat and I never seen one be reused service for anything care to give an example?
I do actually think attitudes towards fat people need to change. So often on TSR (which is supposedly filled with enlightened youths) I see posters attacking other people for being overweight. People's size is not anyone else's business, fat people are only hurting themselves and I think the hatred is totally unwarranted.
People who don't fit in one seat should definitely have to pay more. Annoys me no end when I can't sit down on the bus because some fatty is taking up two seats but only paid for one bus ticket.

I think we need to make more of an effort to tackle increasing obesity instead of 'fat phobia' to be honest.
Reply 4
Original post by Lady Comstock
I find it abhorrent that we currently allow "fatism/fatophobia" - or discrimination against overweight people - to go unpunished in our society.

How is it fair that many overweight people can be sacked from their jobs, refused service, made to order extra airline seats etc. for the way they look?

Overweight people contribute so much in tax to this country through their buying power and sustain the big snack brands.

We need to outlaw fatophobic discrimination and incitement of hatred towards fat people - just as we do with race, religion, etc.

these three things are entirely different - the first two are unfair discrimination, if you can still physically do your job then you shouldn't be sacked... if you've got too fat to effectively carry out your duties, then that's a different story and quite sad. as for refused service that again is discrimination but I haven't heard too many examples of this

however airline seats? if your so large that you will take up one and a half or two seats then surely its fair to pay for two seats.

fatophobic discrimination is also slightly different to other types of prejudice in the sense that 9 time out of 10 the overweight person can do something about it. a black person cant easily change the colour of their skin
Original post by infairverona
People who don't fit in one seat should definitely have to pay more. Annoys me no end when I can't sit down on the bus because some fatty is taking up two seats but only paid for one bus ticket.

I think we need to make more of an effort to tackle increasing obesity instead of 'fat phobia' to be honest.

Just thank god you've never been in their position. Being fat is hell - nobody would choose it. Those in that position almost invariably feel like they are trapped in an unbreakable cycle. I have been there, and I have lost weight, and I can tell you laziness doesn't come into it - it is far harder to change the habits of a lifetime than it is to have always been active. And that's without those who are ill.

Making a fat person pay double on a bus will not get you a seat, so what is it supposed to achieve? Humiliation? Stopping fat people using public transport?

I fully agree the best way to tackle the problem is to tackle obesity. Particularly improving compulsory PE in schools.
Reply 6
I can tolerate gays, minorities, disabilities, or mental illness. I can not tolerate fat. Would you like to know why? Because nobody ever won any cool points by standing up for ugly. That is the hypocritical truth of why fat people are openly discriminated.

Edit: I'm not talking about extra seats. If you use two seats you should buy two seats. I'm just talking about the way people treat the obese in general.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Octohedral
Just thank god you've never been in their position. Being fat is hell - nobody would choose it. Those in that position almost invariably feel like they are trapped in an unbreakable cycle. I have been there, and I have lost weight, and I can tell you laziness doesn't come into it - it is far harder to change the habits of a lifetime than it is to have always been active. And that's without those who are ill.

Making a fat person pay double on a bus will not get you a seat, so what is it supposed to achieve? Humiliation? Stopping fat people using public transport?

I fully agree the best way to tackle the problem is to tackle obesity. Particularly improving compulsory PE in schools.

It might. They might decide to take the bus less often/take different transport.
Reply 8
We should bring back rationing. A more elaborate form of rationing than that which we experienced during periods of war, one which focuses more on delivering a balanced diet, but our access to food should be controlled none the less.

No more fat people equals no more 'discrimination'. And the good thing about this situation is that there is no need for concentration camps and mass genocide to get the job done, just fat camps and more Davina McCall fitness videos.
Original post by arson_fire
If we outlawed fat people then there wouldn`t be any to discriminate against. Problem solved.

Wot a DISGUSTING fatophobic attitude!
Original post by Mockery
No more fat people equals no more 'discrimination'. And the good thing about this situation is that there is no need for concentration camps and mass genocide to get the job done, just fat camps and more Davina McCall fitness videos.

Sounds like the sort thing Hitlery said in the 30s: "no more jews equals no more 'discrimination'"
Original post by manchesterunited15
It might. They might decide to take the bus less often/take different transport.

All other means of transport are more expensive, and it's a reasonable assumption that the morbidly obese can't suddenly start walking long distances without medical issues. Humiliating somebody off public transport and potentially significantly worsening their quality of life so a perfectly healthy young person can have a seat is not something I can spare sympathy for.
agree with OP. and for those who thinks obesity can be tackled with diet and exercise, how are you going to tackle things like hormone imbalance which makes it hard for some people to lose weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, unless it's due to a medical condition, it's your own fault and you don't deserve any sympathy. It's completely absurd and unreasonable to compare it to racism. Harsh but true.
Reply 14
Original post by Lady Comstock
Sounds like the sort thing Hitlery said in the 30s: "no more jews equals no more 'discrimination'"

Ahh, you've found me out.. :rolleyes: Hoping for a society that follows a healthy lifestyle, resulting in a better quality and longer life for us all, is the key similarity between me and the Neo-nazi movement.
Reply 15

^I certainly wouldn't hire that fat piece of crap.

And then she got caught stealing cakes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jay-cole-shoplifter-who-stole-1790944

Lol, and lol at anyone who tells me I have to 'respect her', or I have to feel bad because I have 'thin privilege'. Lol at all of you.
Reply 16
Original post by muchoonellykins
To be honest, unless it's due to a medical condition, it's your own fault and you don't deserve any sympathy. It's completely absurd and unreasonable to compare it to racism. Harsh but true.

Why would you place blame on someone for being fat when their size isn't your problem? They don't owe you or anyone else anything to be a size you'd like them to be. There isn't a desired image on how everyone should look and those people who aren't slim or moderate shouldn't be told to lose weight, who would actually gain from it.
What u described is illegal . U can't sack someone for being fat unless it stops them doing their job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thin privilege? is there any level this oppression Olympics won't go.

it should not be deemed acceptable to be morbidly obese - people shouldn't be attacked for it - but it shouldn't be acceptable. this is because it poses a major health risk - should we make it acceptable to anorexic as well?
Reply 19
Original post by geetar

^I certainly wouldn't hire that fat piece of crap.

And then she got caught stealing cakes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jay-cole-shoplifter-who-stole-1790944

Lol, and lol at anyone who tells me I have to 'respect her', or I have to feel bad because I have 'thin privilege'. Lol at all of you.

You don't have to respect anyone. It's peculiar how you refer to her as a piece of crap when all she is is a bigger size. Why do you have resentment towards the overweight?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending