The Student Room Group

Who do you think should win the Balon D'or this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by qua
Barcelona won the title in 2011. (Or what title do you mean?)

That record for most goals in a calendar year was in 2012, among numerous other ones.

I was talking about the year Ronaldo did this at the Camp Nou:

Original post by Kutta
I was talking about the year Ronaldo did this at the Camp Nou:

He still didn't outshine messi that campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Judging from the votes, its clear to see Ronaldo had a much better year than Messi and the other contenders. Personally I think he has to win Balon D'or regardless of him not actually winning a trophy. 31 goals in 19 games or something. That's truly amazing since its only November and he also has 66 goals this calendar year!
Original post by NowYouSeeMe
Judging from the votes, its clear to see Ronaldo had a much better year than Messi and the other contenders. Personally I think he has to win Balon D'or regardless of him not actually winning a trophy. 31 goals in 19 games or something. That's truly amazing since its only November and he also has 66 goals this calendar year!

Because of votes? People on here voted on a poll saying Mourinho was better than Ferguson :biggrin:.

Anyway, Messi has had a better year, his goals won Barca the league back off Madrid. That's the difference. You can make the point about Ronaldo dragging Portugal to the WC, which is fair (though Messi has been no slouch for Argentina), but he is just unlucky he's got injured when he has. You look at their records and they're pretty much neck and neck up until the last 5/6 weeks but people tend to have short memories.

Both worthy winners. Ribery should be out of the question.
Reply 44
Original post by Malevolent
He still didn't outshine messi that campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He did by Ballon D'Or standards!

In the year before Ronaldo only won the Copa Del Rey but outscored Messi by a big margin and also won that pichichi award, but the Ballon was given to Messi.

in the year in question 2011/2012 i think, Messi only won the Copa Del Rey but outscored Ronaldo, but yet the award was given to Messi?

Double Standards Much?

But hey everyone has their own opinion, i think that by precedent Ronaldo should have won, i think Ronaldo's media image often takes votes away from him as people see him as an arrogant little gaylo :smile:
Reply 45
Ronaldo should win it.
Ronaldo deserves to win it this year whereas in previous years I don't think he'd done enough individually or with Real to deserve it ahead of Messi. This doesn't mean that Ronaldo has now become a better player than Messi, Messi is over 2 years younger than Ronaldo and Ronaldo is at his peak now. having said that he does deserve it this year.
Original post by Kutta
He did by Ballon D'Or standards!

In the year before Ronaldo only won the Copa Del Rey but outscored Messi by a big margin and also won that pichichi award, but the Ballon was given to Messi.

in the year in question 2011/2012 i think, Messi only won the Copa Del Rey but outscored Ronaldo, but yet the award was given to Messi?

Double Standards Much?

But hey everyone has their own opinion, i think that by precedent Ronaldo should have won, i think Ronaldo's media image often takes votes away from him as people see him as an arrogant little gaylo :smile:

You do realize that year Ronaldo scored more in the league but Messi and Ronaldo scored the same amount in total. messi was top scorer in CL which led to a Champions League title. Ronaldo didn't out score Messi by. Big margin. So no idea where that argument you've made up comes from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kutta

Double Standards Much?

Ronaldo didn't outscore messi in 2011. In 2011 Messi also won the Champions League, single handedly winning the semi finals. So, basically, you're argument is complete *******s.
Reply 49
Messi, was better for more months this year.
schweinsteiger.
Pretty funny people are gonna vote on the last month or so instead of the whole year :lol:
Pretty funny people are gonna vote on the last month or so instead of the whole year :lol:

Short term memory says hi.

Why is Ibrahimovic on this list though seriously?
Reply 53

Some proof for that:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/poll/2013/nov/20/cristiano-ronaldo-ballon-dor-2013-poll-messi

But WC playoffs > anything else, apparently.
Reply 54
Ronaldo deserves it this year.
Ronaldo's inability to take on players is the reason he wont win this year(even though he has more goals).It doesnt take a genius to know which player is more entertaining on the pitch.Messi cuts past players and scores goals.Ronaldo is dependant on his teammates passing abilities to score.Also, for Ronaldo its either trophies or goals....He cant get both....Messi can.

I'm sure most Man U fans know the fact but they cannot betray their idol and hence the difference in the poll.Its understandable,but the voters are unbiased and have no such obligation.I would'nt mind if Ronaldo won,really.The guy loses out on so many awards and records because of Messi.This year he has a good chance.
Original post by Litterbug
Cristiano without a shadow of a doubt. He in my opinion shares the same surname as the greatest footballer of all time,

Edited :cool:
Ronaldo easily as he is on fire this season. Messi hasn't been consistent enough to win it due to injuries. Ibra had some hope, but that all disappeared when he got outshone by Ronaldo, even though he has been scoring some terrific goals. Ribery has been good, but not as good as the rest in terms of goals.
Ribery going on about Ballon Dor still Christ...

Quick Reply

Latest