The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3200
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Oh gosh, you applied there :redface: did you put in your AS?
What's your rank...if you could get on it :tongue:

Yep! Haha I did, thankfully! Such a headache for some of the other reapplicants though!!
I had 1st decile for academics and then 4th decile for UKCAT (695) so we shall see!
Reply 3201
Oh leeds what a mess they've made
Original post by jemimii
Yep! Haha I did, thankfully! Such a headache for some of the other reapplicants though!!
I had 1st decile for academics and then 4th decile for UKCAT (695) so we shall see!

A huge headache, can't imagine having a good night sleep after that drama :tongue:
besides Leeds 4k+ applicants is too much :yikes:
Reply 3203
A huge headache, can't imagine having a good night sleep after that drama :tongue:

I'm so glad I didn't apply there :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3204

I know! Poor people! I knew they were competitive but I didn't realise HOW competitive they were going to be!
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I'm so glad I didn't apply there :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:ditto: but it must be a great medical school to consistently have over 4000 applicants :redface:

No wonder they're gonna use the BMAT next year!!
Original post by jemimii
I know! Poor people! I knew they were competitive but I didn't realise HOW competitive they were going to be!

Ahh yeah, it's crazy, only for 200 places :gah:
Reply 3207
Ahh yeah, it's crazy, only for 200 places :gah:

I know! They only give about 50 more offers than places! Eeek
Reply 3208
Original post by itsmagic
I literally phoned around my town and a nursing home said they were welcoming applications so I went to get an application and handed it in. A few weeks later, they called me up giving me an interview day and time. I went to the interview (the day after my sixth form prom, that was interesting haha!) and, at the end, they said I could start once my CRB got sent back to them. I haven't got NVQ 2 or any qualifications in care and I don't have a car! So keep trying, it's definitely possible to find positions! (It's a tough job though!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ameelia22
Ignoring the ones that require a car, apply anyway. Be cheeky, use all the experience you have in the "about me information" box thing, and with everyone of the points on their person specification, show how you meet it!! Also, although it says NVQ level 2, it should say "or equivalent" as well, and that's where you point out you have way more / better / amazing experience. You should be getting interviews at least or is there a shortage of jobs in your area? Also, don't specify "healthcare assistant" posts, search for for anything up to 20k, not only because you'll see other good options like phlebotomist, generic worker, or other entry level jobs, but you miss out other titles like "Auxillary Nurse," and "ward assistant," and stuff. Just what I've learnt from my own experience.

Great advice, thanks.. I tried that and found a post in a hospital just a road away from my house. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Hugby1
I went through NHS Jobs. Click the appropriate link for your local trust and they list job vacancies by date listed. For me, and my friends who are also on a gap year, we found NA (Nursing Assistants is the new appropriate name) vacancies came up every 2 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by richtea5
Yeah keep applying through NHS jobs n that but also consider approaching private nursing homes/ care homes etc. I would say I got the job very quickly because I had volunteered for some time prior to asking but I think there's more leniency in the selection procedures than for NHS jobs (just my experience but could be worth a shot alongside your current job search).
ALSO offer to work on bank as opposed to just asking for a job (at my work they said this is more common for people without the NVQ- could just be for my place but again just a tip).

Original post by Hugby1
Just some more info... I was interviewed by an NA on our ward, so a lot of the interview process is just charm. I was asked, what is the importance of paperwork, importance of teamwork, importance of confidentiality, how would you feel if your patient died, what is involved in the job.

Thank you everyone for your responses, sorry I took a long time to respond. Been busy lately :colondollar:
I've applied to 3 jobs in the NHS. Pharmacy assistant, cardiographer and service assistant but still no luck. Might be too early fir the latest one though :/
Reply 3210
Everyones getting jobs in the NHS which worries me, I volunteer at an NHS Hospital but my jobs are in a hotel, a bar, a special needs school and as a carer for severely autistic children. Does not having an NHS job make me less likely to succeed? I like my position at the moment, all jobs are casual/flexible which allows me to take time off whenever I like!
Original post by mcollin1
Everyones getting jobs in the NHS which worries me, I volunteer at an NHS Hospital but my jobs are in a hotel, a bar, a special needs school and as a carer for severely autistic children. Does not having an NHS job make me less likely to succeed? I like my position at the moment, all jobs are casual/flexible which allows me to take time off whenever I like!

I'm a HCA but I work in a nursing home, not under the NHS. It shouldn't really affect you because you're showing a variety of skills with your jobs (the school and the caring for autistic children probably looks really good) and you volunteer at a hospital anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview at Kings!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done :biggrin: Wishing you all the best :smile:
Original post by Joannywhite
Well done :biggrin: Wishing you all the best :smile:

Thank you!! So surprised - hoping I don't mess it up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!! So surprised - hoping I don't mess it up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! Are you applying to the standard or extended course?
I'm not even a med applicant (dentistry :wink: and I'm waitingg on king's to reply! Do you know any dental applicants invited to interviews?
Original post by Joannywhite
I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Thank you! Are you a medical student - I remember seeing you on other forums?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GirlWithADream
Congrats! Are you applying to the standard or extended course?
I'm not even a med applicant (dentistry :wink: and I'm waitingg on king's to reply! Do you know any dental applicants invited to interviews?

Thank you, standard course :smile:
Ohh I see! Sorry, I don't actually know anyone applying for dentistry this year! Have you looked on threads/stalking pages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, standard course :smile:
Ohh I see! Sorry, I don't actually know anyone applying for dentistry this year! Have you looked on threads/stalking pages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have, nobody's got a reply from King's yet..the wait is horrible :frown:
Good luck for your interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending