The Student Room Group

What is a good starting salary after graduation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I expect I will probably start on £18-20k, would consider £20k+ to be good for my field.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I've asked many people this some say £21k, others £27k some even £40k!

However quite a few say they are not sure and they would just feel lucky finding their first full time job.

Your thoughts?

Don't believe in the figures you read in the papers on average starting salaries, for example this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9090664/Oxford-graduates-pull-pints-in-dire-jobs-market.html

If you read the article, it mentions there are Oxford grads who go on to become GPs and medical consultants six months after graduation!

Anyone who knows about the medical profession will realise this is utter crap. You need at least three years to become a GP, longer for a consultant.

Re your question, it depends what you want to do. Admittedly £45K working 60 hours per week is not a great hourly rate but when you talk about salaries, it's the total figure that is quoted, not per hour. Otherwise, you might as well say being on the dole is the best because your hourly rate is infinite!
Reply 22
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I've asked many people this some say £21k, others £27k some even £40k!

However quite a few say they are not sure and they would just feel lucky finding their first full time job.

Your thoughts?

As said by other posters, it depends on your course, university, LOCATION and other differentiating factors (extra-curricular, work exp, etc).

In my opinion, anything above 30k for london is quite good.
Reply 23
Personally 21k would be more than twice the highest I've ever been paid and being a teacher, your salary can go up quite quickly if you're good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Theflyingbarney
As others have said, depends on where you went to uni, what you've studied, what career you're going into etc.

Assuming we're talking about actual graduate jobs (rather than stuff taken on in the interim while looking for a proper job) it will normally be anywhere between £12k and about £35k. At the top end (i.e. coming out of Oxbridge/RG and into the right profession) it could be upwards of £40k - a couple of the law firms I've talked to offer salaries in excess of £50k to their trainees! (though they do only take on a few per year).

On the whole, I'd say a 'good' salary to start with is anything upwards of about £23k.

Which 'graduate jobs' are there at 12k?!?

EDIT
placement years and PhD stipends are higher than that...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
I'd say 21k is average 24k+ is good, 27k+ very good

Most things in the Times 100 will be in the latter category, graduate jobs in the second and also ran in the first.

Things below that wouldn't have needed a degree to get there (ie it could have easily have been got to during the three years spend at uni byvia on the job experience at a lower wage)
Depends on what industry you want to go into. I know this might sound obvious, but different industries pay different salaries and what's a good salary in one industry might not be all that brilliant in another. I'd say you're getting a good wage if you're paid above average for the sector and role you're in.
Very much depends on your expectations. One of my friends works in banking and earns around £50k+ a year which he thinks isn't great for the hours he does.

I earn £28k+ benefits included and I am happy with that cause I love my job.

Depends what you value you more I would not take a higher salary for a job I did not enjoy.
Reply 29
I would probably be more concerned with job security and enjoyment than how big of a salary you can land.

I imagine 'good' would be something like £25k though I suspect average is slightly less

Posted from TSR Mobile
it does not matter about salary what matters is what you have leftover. I have friends on 40k-60k working in London having very little leftover once rent, transport comes out.

I have friends living at home with parents or low rental areas and saving A LOT! even on modest wages of 20k-30k.
Anything that would allow me to be financially independent as a starting salary. Then I'll work my way up. Around 17-18k I suppose, although average Starting salary for my degree is 23k
Reply 32
What's the average starting salary after graduation of a Civil Engineer? (Just curiosity, I'm going to study civil engineering)
Original post by c471
Good depends on what you do to earn it.

45K is not really that good if you work investment banking hours for it. Even with a bonus of 15-20K you would only earn in the region of £12 per hour. Good, but there are jobs that rival that pay.

Not to mention I would put an additional premium on having to give up your social life. For a job with social (normal) hours, 30K+ is excellent.

It's earning potential that people in those jobs work for. The jump in 3 to 4 years can be a doubling in salary and so £24/hour at 25/26 can be hard to beat especially when there is a potential for more jumps.
Reply 34
Original post by Rainingshame
It's earning potential that people in those jobs work for. The jump in 3 to 4 years can be a doubling in salary and so £24/hour at 25/26 can be hard to beat especially when there is a potential for more jumps.

But even that comes at a cost. You earn more, but you may be 35 and still unable to have a family life. 100K a year is still not a lot to sacrifice your ability to live a normal life.

My point is that it is relative. a starting salary of 100K can still be a poor salary.
Depends how much KFC are paying these days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by helpmekid
Explain in bold please?

Also, do you have to know the language there? I can only speak/read/write in English. Thats my concern about going to other countries.

What's there to explain?

The English language market is thriving in south korea and anyone who isn't a complete creep can get a job.

They pay for your flight here and back and your accommodation.

I could only speak English when I first got here too but usually you have a coworker/coteacher that helps translate if need be or deal with discipline problems.

epik.go.kr look that up if interested.
Reply 37
Original post by M1011
IB Tech/Ops?

I know a few guys in ops at BBs, and they don't start out making £50k.
I'd be very happy with £24k, but anything above £20k is acceptable in my eyes.
A friend of mine had a starting salary of £39k
the jobs I'm applying to are around £25-31k

my husband started on £27k and progressing nicely.

varies from job to job

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending