The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
That's exactly the same for Mandarin, but worse :p: I know Arabic and am leaning Mandarin at university. I don't see why anyone would want to learn one but not the other, except arabic has a more latin style system with it's alphabet, so is actually far easier.

It's just that to learn Arabic would take a considerable amount of time, relative to other languages (bar Mandarin, as you've mentioned); I also feel more of a cultural and linguistic affinity with Persian since my family originate for the Indian Sub-continent, so I would find it interesting...
Maybe, one day, if I desire to work in the UAE or the likes, I might learn or at least start to teach myself Arabic :redface:
Original post by Plainview
Perhaps 'you're too stupid' to do maths, since you haven't realised that he's a troll.

I don't check past posts, and don't really browse religion threads :p:
Reply 22
Original post by Le Nombre
Dubai isn't in KSA :facepalm:

My bad, got it, forgive me, I feel ashamed and embarrassed!
Reply 23
Spanish is the only language worth learning if for someone who's afraid they can't learn a language quickly. Latin has a lot to it, I'm still learning German, but that's only because I want to do a year abroad at Zurich, the language in itself isn't very useful.

Zurich is in Switzerland, do they speak German there?
Reply 24
Original post by Asklepios
Why should we learn about terrorist culture?

What a predictable reply to an enlightening thread.

If I learn Arabic will you learn how to use English correctly?

My English is pretty good :smile:

Original post by Mad Vlad
I have absolutely no intention of learning Arabic. It's not like I'm going to need it seeing as the countries that speak it are as socially backwards as the writing direction and I have no intention of ever visiting them.

1. Never say never, there may be a time when you'll regret not having learned it.

2. "Socially backwards" is quite a subjective observance given the same can be applied to many westernised practices.

3. Funnily enough, you say you wouldn't go to these countries, but those countries potentially may never even let you in.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't check past posts, and don't really browse religion threads :p:

To be fair, I don't really troll that often anymore. But boredom is kicking in...
Original post by Qari
Zurich is in Switzerland, do they speak German there?

Yes, German, English, French, depending on where you are, but Zurich is mostly German. It's kind of expensive to live there, but Erasmus helps me, and ETH has a very strong reputation, so why not! :biggrin:
Original post by Al-Mudaari
What a predictable reply to an enlightening thread.

My English is pretty good :smile:

The grocer's apostrophe in the title says otherwise.
Reply 28
There's no good reason for anyone to learn Arabic as far as I can tell.
Original post by Mad Vlad
I have absolutely no intention of learning Arabic. It's not like I'm going to need it seeing as the countries that speak it are as socially backwards as the writing direction and I have no intention of ever visiting them.

You see this is just bigotry, just say you don't want to learn Arabic, you don't have to bash the entirety of Arab culture jeez.
Wakif Willa batokh
Original post by JC.

It all depends on your interest in international prospects, ambition, or even if it relates to a hobby. If you can't tie a language to any of those, there really is no reason to stray from English whatsoever, if you do however, there are several languages worth considering, all worth learning, sadly there are only so many hours in the way so we can't learn them all, but Arabic is definitely among those that should be strongly considered.
My list of languages I want to learn is in double figures already, and I've only attained some level of skill in three so far. And one of those I then lost again. And I want fluency in them all.

If you like (I was reading an old thread and you had a good post on it, so I'm feeling generous), I'll add Arabic to it. But don't hold your breath. It's goimg to take a while for me to get to it.
Original post by Greenlaner
No thanks. I have absolutely zero intention of ever going anywhere near Saudi Arabia.

That's a good idea because the world would probably be a better place if Saudi sunk into the sea but Saudi isn't the entirety of the Arab world is it?
Reply 34
The grocer's apostrophe in the title says otherwise.

You found one minor grammar error amongst dozens of posts, something I'm sure could be mirrored upon observing dozens of your own posts.
(edited 10 years ago)
Rather Mandarin or Spanish
Original post by JC.

This is a ridiculous post. There's no good reason to learn the language of hundreds of millions of people?
I think it'd be great if more schools taught arabic, I would have chosen it over Latin or Greek any day.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
You found one minor grammar error amongst dozens of posts, something I'm sure if one had the time to look over your posts would lead to finding similar results.

An apostrophe for the plural? You wouldn't.

You may find posts where I've put a semi colon in the wrong place or inappropriately split my infinitive, but I will not have made a mistake on apostrophe use or similar basic grammar.

It's not just any post, it's the title of the thread!
Reply 39
Original post by darius12345
This is a ridiculous post. There's no good reason to learn the language of hundreds of millions of people?

Why bother? Those who want to trade with us can learn English.
:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending