The Student Room Group

Outlaw discrimination against fat people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
To be honest - and I doubt this will go down well - I am hugely critical of being fat 'because of health issues' anyway. I've never even heard of someone having such a health issue that they can't lose weight. I'm sure even if you have some kind of illness that makes you fat there are ways to get around it, if you eat 2000 healthy calories a day and exercise moderately how can you get fat? There's nothing to possibly make you fat with a regime like that even if your body tried? But I study law not biology so who knows. All I'm saying is I'd imagine it's rare for someone to actually have a health condition that makes them SO fat that they take up two seats, they're not exactly narrow.

I'm on antipsychotic medication and it causes changes in how your body uses calories. I put on 50lbs in a month on one medication - without changing my diet or exercise level. A "normal" person would have to eat about 6000 calories a day to put on that much weight in such a short amount of time. I was eating less than 2000 calories as well as going to the gym. The last medication I took made me gain 10lbs in a few weeks, again with me going to the gym and watching what I was eating.

Until recently (I started a new medication which helps combat the metabolic syndrome associated with antipsychotics) I was finding it impossible to lose the weight. I go to the gym 4 times a week and eat on average 1600 calories a day.Thankfully I've lost 11lbs with this new medication and my BMI is almost back in the normal range.

So yeah, there are people who have reasons for being fat. There you go, now you've heard of someone. :smile:
Okay so it's harder, does that make it impossible or does that mean you have to put a bit more effort in?

I speak from experience when I say it's that hard that it's almost impossible to do so. often people who suffers those conditions have another medical issue closely connected. mine for example makes it almost impossible to exercise daily and even though I eat less than 2000 calories daily I still put on weight. I can't put on any more effort without harming myself so what's others like me supposed to do? see where I'm coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm on antipsychotic medication and it causes changes in how your body uses calories. I put on 50lbs in a month on one medication - without changing my diet or exercise level. A "normal" person would have to eat about 6000 calories a day to put on that much weight in such a short amount of time. I was eating less than 2000 calories as well as going to the gym. The last medication I took made me gain 10lbs in a few weeks, again with me going to the gym and watching what I was eating.

Until recently (I started a new medication which helps combat the metabolic syndrome associated with antipsychotics) I was finding it impossible to lose the weight. I go to the gym 4 times a week and eat on average 1600 calories a day.Thankfully I've lost 11lbs with this new medication and my BMI is almost back in the normal range.

So yeah, there are people who have reasons for being fat. There you go, now you've heard of someone. :smile:

Okay so you got fat and now you've changed medicine and you're losing the weight. Well done, I know it's hard - lost 20lbs myself. But if you can do it, why can't others who are on medication making them fat change to one that doesn't?
Okay so you got fat and now you've changed medicine and you're losing the weight. Well done, I know it's hard - lost 20lbs myself. But if you can do it, why can't others who are on medication making them fat change to one that doesn't?

medications react in a certain way for others and sometimes people have bigger reasons for taking certain medications and weight is a minor issue for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
I speak from experience when I say it's that hard that it's almost impossible to do so. often people who suffers those conditions have another medical issue closely connected. mine for example makes it almost impossible to exercise daily and even though I eat less than 2000 calories daily I still put on weight. I can't put on any more effort without harming myself so what's others like me supposed to do? see where I'm coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is how many people actually suffer from conditions like yours where it's not your fault, and how many are just fat? I don't think people like you are in the majority. So obviously it's horrible that you are tarred with the same brush as people who just got fat from eating too much and that's different. But I'd be interested to see statistics or something of how many people who are overweight actually suffer from these types of conditions and how many are actually just lazy and greedy.

I was in similar situation to you with medication and it was frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem with antipsychotics is that they pretty much all have weight gain as a side effect. The antipsychotic I'm on at the moment doesn't have as big an effect as others, but (and I don't know if you know anything about psychiatry) different meds work for different people. For some people only the one that made me put on 50lbs will work for them. Now imagine they're depressed/psychotic (which seems reasonable given what the medication is for), what's the chance they're going to be in a state of mind to go to the gym and eat healthily?
Original post by Ripper-Roo
If she's too lazy to turn up on time that isn't a case with overweight people specifically, it can apply to anyone who just doesn't care, unless there are genuine reasons.

She should pay for her own medical care.

In terms of employment it's difficult because employers should be free to hire anyone they want but at the same time her size shouldn't affect her ability to do a job, unless she makes it an issue, which could be the case.

She (or other fat people) shouldn't have to lose weight because they are told to

Hard time to prove you were sacked due to obesity though, employer could say it was due to time keeping etc.
The thing is how many people actually suffer from conditions like yours where it's not your fault, and how many are just fat? I don't think people like you are in the majority. So obviously it's horrible that you are tarred with the same brush as people who just got fat from eating too much and that's different. But I'd be interested to see statistics or something of how many people who are overweight actually suffer from these types of conditions and how many are actually just lazy and greedy.

hypothyroidism apparently is quite common according to my gp, I don't know if it's true though. yes there are others who don't have any reasons other than being unhealthy but it's so unfair that people like myself should get the 'you're just lazy' thing when the reasons are far from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in similar situation to you with medication and it was frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating.

When I was at university, on multiple occasions I heard people mocking my size and that was just the icing on the cake. :frown:
The problem with antipsychotics is that they pretty much all have weight gain as a side effect. The antipsychotic I'm on at the moment doesn't have as big an effect as others, but (and I don't know if you know anything about psychiatry) different meds work for different people. For some people only the one that made me put on 50lbs will work for them. Now imagine they're depressed/psychotic (which seems reasonable given what the medication is for), what's the chance they're going to be in a state of mind to go to the gym and eat healthily?

I don't know anything about psychiatry I'm afraid. I have suffered from depression in the past though and I was advised to exercise, eat healthily and get enough sleep. Fortunately for me, this worked wonders and I didn't get any medication. But that could help a lot of people too, I do think with depression a lot of it can be mind over matter and the weight loss in the process would probably make you feel better if you're very overweight also.
Reply 51
if you've ever experience hormonal imbalance then you'd know how some people feel. im not saying that all fat people have medical issues which didn't help their weight but people like you are just so ignorant of others who genuinely suffers. I'm speaking from experience here and I have medical issues that made me put on weight. no im not greedy, infact I don't eat a lot and I also exercise when possible. labelling people like me as greedy because we have medical issues makes you a horribly ignorant human being. <br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />

And you make up like what 0.5% of overweight people?
Yes, it is incredibly frustrating.

When I was at university, on multiple occasions I heard people mocking my size and that was just the icing on the cake. :frown:

yes I still get that now and it makes me incredibly angry as I didn't choose to put on weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hypothyroidism apparently is quite common according to my gp, I don't know if it's true though. yes there are others who don't have any reasons other than being unhealthy but it's so unfair that people like myself should get the 'you're just lazy' thing when the reasons are far from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree that's really unfair for you. I do think most people are just unhealthy though, a few of my friends are overweight and they say it's because their whole family is fat or they are built wide or whatever which is just stupid.
Original post by MJ1012
<br />
<br />

And you make up like what 0.5% of overweight people?

point is there are people like me (however small percentage) and we don't deserve the abuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know anything about psychiatry I'm afraid. I have suffered from depression in the past though and I was advised to exercise, eat healthily and get enough sleep. Fortunately for me, this worked wonders and I didn't get any medication. But that could help a lot of people too, I do think with depression a lot of it can be mind over matter and the weight loss in the process would probably make you feel better if you're very overweight also.

Antidepressants don't have the same weight gain reputation as antipsychotics. And while it's great you managed to beat your depression with healthy eating and exercise (seriously, well done :smile:), for people with psychosis that's often not possible. I can only talk for myself but when voices are shouting at you and you think everyone is spying on you, going to the gym isn't at the top of your priorities. And then having people actually make fun of you for being overweight on top makes everything a lot worse.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
point is there are people like me (however small percentage) and we don't deserve the abuse<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />
But everyones point doesn't include people like you they are naturally aiming at the 99.5% of other people. It's a numbers game to be fair.
Antidepressants don't have the same weight gain reputation as antipsychotics. And while it's great you managed to beat your depression with healthy eating and exercise (seriously, well done :smile:), for people with psychosis that's often not possible. I can only talk for myself but when voices are shouting at you and you think everyone is spying on you, going to the gym isn't at the top of your priorities.

Yeah I was going to say I don't know what antipsychotics entail etc. I just meant what you were saying about people feeling depressed, healthy eating etc can actually help a lot.
Original post by MJ1012
<br />
<br />
But everyones point doesn't include people like you they are naturally aiming at the 99.5% of other people. It's a numbers game to be fair.

there are people here who have basically said that medical reasons like hormone imbalance are rubbish reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I was going to say I don't know what antipsychotics entail etc. I just meant what you were saying about people feeling depressed, healthy eating etc can actually help a lot.

So now you've heard from 2 people that eating healthily doesn't necessarily stop certain medical issues from making you put on weight. :smile: Learn something new everyday, hey? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending