The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
ill learn arabic if u convert to judaism

Hahahahaha oh dear what a great proposition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
I don't understand why people are so against Arabic. For me the only problem represents its method of teaching. As long as no religious text in any form is used, i think it's not a bad idea. However there are many other languages worth learning. Possibly mandarin, Spanish or possibly Hindi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CEKTOP
Every Arab Sheikh and every Chinese industry leader speak English these days. Most expats in China don't speak Chinese, why would they learn it if everyone around them speaks English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh but do Chinese investors speak English? English is THE language to speak and I don't think that will ever change.
Reply 63
Original post by Savvy Sage
Ahh but do Chinese investors speak English? English is THE language to speak and I don't think that will ever change.

Oh, it will change.
No thanks im peaceful :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by MAyman12
Oh, it will change.

Probably not. Western culture is an import in every single culture in one way or another, which English is often a part of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by Ggmu!
Probably not. Western culture is an import in every single culture in one way or another, which English is often a part of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you kidding me? Every language eventually dies out or gets less and less popular. Maybe in a hundred years every one will speak Portuguese, You never know.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Get learning :smile:

The possibilities in Arabic for the use of figurative language are endless; its allusiveness, tropes and figures of speech place it far beyond the reach of any other language... Arabic loses on translation but all other languages gain on being translated into Arabic - Joel Carmichael, The Shaping of the Arabs

Hmm foreign office says the UK should learn more arabic? maybe it wants to stop using foreign interpreters when it invades.

Will help to reduce our deficit, most indeed!

:colone:
Reply 68
The difference is i might actually visit Germany, France and Spain etc.

The odds of me visiting a country which speaks Arabic are far far less likely.
Reply 69
Original post by Greenlaner
No thanks. I have absolutely zero intention of ever going anywhere near Saudi Arabia.

But what if Saudi Arabia comes to you?
Reply 70
British Muslims, to be exact
but I can't imagine how my mother tongue would seem rolling out of a Non Muslim British, not to be rude. It's ten times difficult to learn than French, Spanish, Chinese and Hindi for non natives, it is too vast and needs a lot of practice...even I sometimes stumble since one word has so many different meanings, the talent is to fit them.

Arabic wouldn't be useful to them most of the time so I don't see the point of them learning it, OP.
People learn languages which would be of some use e.g. plans to live in a foreign country and the necessity to learn it's native tongue (not including the ones passionate about linguistic studies).
Too right.
Learning arabic is an unnecessary luxury. The article you posted neglected to mention the strength of the english language compared with the top 10 languages. Instead of painstakingly picking up arabic, trade partners in the ME should learn some english. It's the only practical solution, as arabic is basically useless elsewhere.
Original post by Mad Vlad
I have absolutely no intention of learning Arabic. It's not like I'm going to need it seeing as the countries that speak it are as socially backwards as the writing direction and I have no intention of ever visiting them.

Oh look a generalisation.

I think the best ones so far are the "terrorist culture" comment and "I dont ever wanna go Saudi" because obviously Saudi is the only place where they speak Arabic.

The stupidity and bigotry on this forum continues to be amaze me.
Arabic actually sounds like a very interesting language to learn, unlike French.
Original post by Inzamam99
Oh look a generalisation.

I think the best ones so far are the "terrorist culture" comment and "I dont ever wanna go Saudi" because obviously Saudi is the only place where they speak Arabic.

The stupidity and bigotry on this forum continues to be amaze me.

When ever threads like these go up, you get a load of ignorance from people.:cool:
Reply 76
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Get learning :smile:

The possibilities in Arabic for the use of figurative language are endless; its allusiveness, tropes and figures of speech place it far beyond the reach of any other language... Arabic loses on translation but all other languages gain on being translated into Arabic - Joel Carmichael, The Shaping of the Arabs

Sounds cool. Too old now though, and not having children.
Original post by JC.
There's no good reason for anyone to learn Arabic as far as I can tell.

Imo, it might become useful to learn Arabic/Madarin in the future
Original post by darius12345
op, I am trying to learn arabic, I speak persian as my native language and did a degree in spanish which I can speak/write to good fluency. there are a hell of a lot of resources to learn msa and it's a nice, useful language.

so there's no point learning any language other than english?

great logic bro

Darius = the man who fought Leonidas yes?

Anyway I'am trying to learn French and Farsi at the moment but can't find appropriate material to take me up to fluency in Farsi. The Pimsleur course has got me talking some basic conversational phrases but not much else... recommendations?
Original post by TheLegendHimself
When ever threads like these go up, you get a load of ignorance from people.:cool:

6494d9a65195279d35717e6d97375037c34660e076011dc05bcc67011a212df0.jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending