Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
20 - 23k - fair

25k - decent

28k + very decent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Brevity
I know a few guys in ops at BBs, and they don't start out making £50k.

Think Morgan Stanley pays 45k starting for back office roles? I'm far from an expert though, just what I've heard.

There's so much more important things to consider when picking your first job though.
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
What's there to explain?

The English language market is thriving in south korea and anyone who isn't a complete creep can get a job.

They pay for your flight here and back and your accommodation.

I could only speak English when I first got here too but usually you have a coworker/coteacher that helps translate if need be or deal with discipline problems.

epik.go.kr look that up if interested.

Umm, So your a teacher there? Thats nice, can i ask what other benefits do you get? how is the area? the weather and the food

thanks
Reply 43
Well i'm starting on 23.5k and i thought that was very good. A lot of grad jobs i looked at were paying 18-20k. I have a friend that was offered a job for 12k, obviously she turned it down cos thats a piss take but obviously it varies alto between different jobs.
Reply 44
Original post by Zoombini
Well i'm starting on 23.5k and i thought that was very good. A lot of grad jobs i looked at were paying 18-20k. I have a friend that was offered a job for 12k, obviously she turned it down cos thats a piss take but obviously it varies alto between different jobs.

My first job offer stated "a competitive salary." Their idea of competitive was minimum wage... £10k per annum with study support. Uhhh no thanks! I then vowed to set my sights a little higher...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
I started on £19,000 in Korea where living costs are lower.

Going to have saved £20,000 in 2 years, enabling me to fund my masters.

Anyone and everyone willing to relocate to South Korea can do the same. You WILL get a job if you want one.

What about if I have no qualifications or cannot speak Korean?
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
What about if I have no qualifications or cannot speak Korean?

You need a degree in order to get a visa. There is no Korean-language requirement. Speaking Korean is often viewed as a disadvantage- in general in TEFL jobs it is frowned upon to use anything other than English in the classroom. Usually students are not absolute beginners and already speak enough English to understand simple explanations and instructions.
Reply 47
Original post by ElChapo
I would wanna be looking at 25-30k starting salary

lol, I make about 5000 a year. Would you consider any minimum wage jobs?
Reply 48
Like others have said, it varies a lot. For me personally I graduated on £28k, which I consider to be very good in comparison with friends from my course (software engineering).
Original post by miser
Like others have said, it varies a lot. For me personally I graduated on £28k, which I consider to be very good in comparison with friends from my course (software engineering).

if this is outside of London then it's a very good salary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by donutaud15
if this is outside of London then it's a very good salary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's in the south west.
Original post by miser
It's in the south west.

not bad at all. my husband earns about the same. he was offered £15k in Wales which was ridiculous amount compared to what he earns now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by A-Dog
lol, I make about 5000 a year. Would you consider any minimum wage jobs?

I wouldn't have considered anything under 20k.I'd have just done a PhD on a 14k stipend, which is similar to an 19k salary.
Original post by standreams
You need a degree in order to get a visa. There is no Korean-language requirement. Speaking Korean is often viewed as a disadvantage- in general in TEFL jobs it is frowned upon to use anything other than English in the classroom. Usually students are not absolute beginners and already speak enough English to understand simple explanations and instructions.

Well I have a degree in Film and TV, I doubt that will enable me to get a working visa.
Also, it's not what you know, but who you know. Take Flowers, for example.

Of course, you have to have some level of experience in the job.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ideally, between 30-50K. Reality, between 15-25K
Original post by donutaud15
the jobs I'm applying to are around £25-31k

my husband started on £27k and progressing nicely.

varies from job to job

Posted from TSR Mobile

what does your husband do?
Reply 57
Original post by Quady
I wouldn't have considered anything under 20k.I'd have just done a PhD on a 14k stipend, which is similar to an 19k salary.

Have you ever done a low wage job? I'm smart, but grew up in difficult circumstances
Original post by thorn0123
what does your husband do?

he's a software engineer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by A-Dog
Have you ever done a low wage job? I'm smart, but grew up in difficult circumstances

Well I was on £3.50/hr in my first job in 2003 which was just a saturday thing in a mens clothes shop
£5.50/hr during the summer at a local garage
£14k on placement in 2007/08

Dunno if you call any of those low wage.

I don't see why difficult childhood circumstances would mean you'd easily consider selling yourself short as a gradute with a decent degree.

Why on earth would you get a degree and thinking working for the legal minimum wage as being 'good'? You could have done that at age 16.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending