The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA3/PSYA4 Psychology Revision Thread 10th/17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prettyugly
Got 2 Ds for the first 2 units, now doing 3 and 4 for june. The highest I can get for this stupid subject is a C without retakes I think :indiff:
And i'm not retaking because I can't stand this subject, it's too much stress and i revised and got Ds (but then again i think i lacked exam techniques even if i knew the content)
ANY TIPS PLEASE? FOR THE EXAMS? FOR REVISING IN GENERAL? please :frown: i always avoid psychology revision it's so bad :frown:

Practise past papers, and get your teacher to mark them with you - I found this really helped me! Also, for unit 3, you can actually work out plans for every exam question, write all the essays and get them marked, then work out what you could do better. Repeat for the essay question on unit 4. As for the rest of unit 4, you should be ding a topic with lots of short questions - in this case practise these, mark them, and read examiners reports to find out what's going wrong. As for research methods, learn it all and again do past papers and mark them, then work out where you are going wrong. This part of the paper is probably easiest to get high marks as so much of it is basic knowledge - you just need to figure out how to answer it! I also found group revision helpful, but make sure you do this in a small group of people that can focus well. Using the specification will be your biggest help, as essay questions are often based on one bullet point of a topic. I hope that helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
Practise past papers, and get your teacher to mark them with you - I found this really helped me! Also, for unit 3, you can actually work out plans for every exam question, write all the essays and get them marked, then work out what you could do better. Repeat for the essay question on unit 4. As for the rest of unit 4, you should be ding a topic with lots of short questions - in this case practise these, mark them, and read examiners reports to find out what's going wrong. As for research methods, learn it all and again do past papers and mark them, then work out where you are going wrong. This part of the paper is probably easiest to get high marks as so much of it is basic knowledge - you just need to figure out how to answer it! I also found group revision helpful, but make sure you do this in a small group of people that can focus well. Using the specification will be your biggest help, as essay questions are often based on one bullet point of a topic. I hope that helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my god thank youuuu!! really disliking this subject but guess i should just get on with it right away. Great help though thanks so much :biggrin:DDDD x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my god thank youuuu!! really disliking this subject but guess i should just get on with it right away. Great help though thanks so much :biggrin:DDDD x

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! Just try and find something interesting in it as it will make it a lot easier - I reckon most the A2 topics are more intriguing anyway (with the exception of relationships)... Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else doing these?

PSYA3: Gender, Relationships and Aggression

PSYA4: Psychopathology, Research Methods and Depression? :smile:
Reply 724
2 Weeks in school and we haven't done anything of significant... im scared :redface:
Original post by pierreboobvier
Anyone else doing these?

PSYA3: Gender, Relationships and Aggression

PSYA4: Psychopathology, Research Methods and Depression? :smile:

I think Im doing the research methods right now PSYA4.

Should we make a thread for 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IllmaticDragon
I think Im doing the research methods right now PSYA4.

Should we make a thread for 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yusssss

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem very hyped for this. I think you should start it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 728
Original post by annemariemoore
Almost the same UMS as me! I got an A* overall, with 100 UMS in PSYA3 and 83 in PSYA4. I was beyond pleased, especially considering that PSYA4 was a resit from January that I got a D in. :biggrin:

Guysssss please share your revision techniques!!!
If anyone needs help, or additional resources for psychology -Feel free to go through my Quizlet which contains a lot of my prior revision for when i was studying AQA Psychology. In uni now, but i'm going to leave the files up :smile: http://quizlet.com/your-sets . Enjoy
Original post by Nathaniell
If anyone needs help, or additional resources for psychology -Feel free to go through my Quizlet which contains a lot of my prior revision for when i was studying AQA Psychology. In uni now, but i'm going to leave the files up :smile: http://quizlet.com/your-sets . Enjoy

I need a miracle! :frown:
Original post by lauraaaaa
I need a miracle! :frown:
You're going to be okay, trust me! Just make sure you put the time in and don't lose hope! The revision's always hard and overwhelming for this course because of how huge the content amount is , but the exams are a lot easier once you've put the hours in :smile:
You're going to be okay, trust me! Just make sure you put the time in and don't lose hope! The revision's always hard and overwhelming for this course because of how huge the content amount is , but the exams are a lot easier once you've put the hours in :smile:

How did you revise... How do you revise for this subject i do not know L O L MY techniques certainly didn't work for last year :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

All my subjects have loads of content haha i'm gonna fail!
How did you revise... How do you revise for this subject i do not know L O L MY techniques certainly didn't work for last year :frown:
Same here hahaa
Original post by lauraaaaa
All my subjects have loads of content haha i'm gonna fail!

For my revision i bassicaly pulled every trick in the book. The type, usually depended on the content i wanted to remember and how difficult i found it. The standard for everything though was usually revision cards. But here's me;

Revision cards

Posters

Mindmaps

Writing and rewriting (Gave up on that for psya3 to be fair)

Recording myself and listening over the content before bed/random moments on the bus. (This was for particularly hard stuff.)

Highlighting (I usually done this first, i.e read the content once, then go over it highlighting, and then anything else.

Condensing the material always helped too. The process of just thinking about how to make topics shorter, and narrowing it down to the key points works as a form of semantic processing which obviously leads to memories staying in your LTM longer. (Some psychology there :P)

Oh, and sometimes just reading the stuff out loud can help too.

And finally drawing pictures and diagrams

To really do this properly though, start early, and go through the different techniques until you find your preferences. Revisiting things you've revised like a week after you do it also makes it a million times easier to remember(Or re-learn) like a month later, and closer to the actual exam.

The more methods you use for a particular topic you use, the more likely, and easier you are going to be able to re-call it in the future. However, make sure it's productive and don't waste time trying to make everthing perfect, or over thinking how you're going to get down to work etc. Be efficient and smart. ++ Don't get too stressed when you don't cover everything you want to in one go, as long as you start this early -it just means you can get over it another time.

And finally, when revision get's particularly hard (With a certain topic) go through the methods, but don't get too wound up about that either. It usually helps to just take a deep breath, and move on to something more comfortable (After obviously trying to learn the stuff etc) And revisit it either a few hours, or the day after. Everything's easier when you go over it the second time -and you won't be anywhere near as stressed when you're going at it with a clear mind :smile:

I hope this is of any help to you guys!

And on a final, final note check this articles out:

http://ideas.time.com/2012/03/07/the-new-way-doctors-learn/
For my revision i bassicaly pulled every trick in the book. The type, usually depended on the content i wanted to remember and how difficult i found it. The standard for everything though was usually revision cards. But here's me;

Revision cards

Posters

Mindmaps

Recording myself and listening over the content before bed/random moments on the bus. (This was for particularly hard stuff.)

Highlighting (I usually done this first, i.e read the content once, then go over it highlighting, and then anything else.

Condensing the material always helped too. The process of just thinking about how to make topics shorter, and narrowing it down to the key points works as a form of semantic processing which obviously leads to memories staying in your LTM longer. (Some psychology there :P)

To really do this properly though, start early, and go through the different techniques until you find your preferences. Revisiting things you've revised like a week after you do it also makes it a million times easier to remember(Or re-learn) like a month later, and closer to the actual exam.

The more methods you use for a particular topic you use, the more likely, and easier you are going to be able to re-call it in the future. However, make sure it's productive and don't waste time trying to make everthing perfect, or over thinking how you're going to get down to work etc. Be efficient and smart. ++ Don't get too stressed when you don't cover everything you want to in one go, as long as you start this early -it just means you can get over it another time.

And finally, when revision get's particularly hard (With a certain topic) go through the methods, but don't get too wound up about that either. It usually helps to just take a deep breath, and move on to something more comfortable (After obviously trying to learn the stuff etc) And revisit it either a few hours, or the day after. Everything's easier when you go over it the second time -and you won't be anywhere near as stressed when you're going at it with a clear mind :smile:

Thanks man! This was really helpful and the website was useful too. And yeah because of the content I get so stressed on not being able to cover everything. But I think i should start my revision now tbh (on depression..How GREAT is that).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 736
For PSYA 3, Gender, could you get an essay on the sub section, of 'social influences of gender' e,g parents, tv. Just cos' the textbook's content is limited, with almost no AO2/3 points.

Revision cards

Posters

Mindmaps

Cheers! Hardest part is knowing where to begin and actually starting!
I got an A overall and managed 94 UMs for psya4! My revision consisted of writing out all of the relevant material from the textbook into revision notes, in various felt tips, I had different booklets of notes for each exam part. I just read them again and again, it makes it much better having manageable notes of what you NEED to know, instead of books full of too much jnfo. Plus, having little booklets of notes that correspond to different exam sections helps you to keep the information seperate in your mind - I know it's easy to muddle up all of the studies otherwise
It's a pleasure to be of any help. Good luck guys :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending