The Student Room Group

Switching from depo-provera injection to the implant

Hey.

I've been on the contraceptive injection for about a year and a half now, and my doctor keeps telling me about problems with bone density and fertility if you're on it for too long, so I've decided to switch to the implant.

However, I know two people who've had it, and had serious problems with it. One had the implant imbedded in her muscle whilst the other had it trapped on a nerve in her arm. Both also bled continually for months.

Has anyone successfully switched from depo to the implant? I've had no bleeding for the entire time I've been on it, no cramping or any weight gain so I'm a bit worried. :frown:
Reply 1
I've done it, i was on the contraceptive injection for about 9 months and then moved to implant. I've had the implant for a year and had no issues other than having about 3 light periods (irregularly). It hasn't made me put on any weight and i haven't noticed any symptoms - i barely notice it's even there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
HI gemmegg i was hoping if i could get some adive from you about the implant ? you see i have to swap from depo injection to the implant and i was wondering if it hurts when it is inserted or maybe what they do ?
Reply 3
Original post by kylea
HI gemmegg i was hoping if i could get some adive from you about the implant ? you see i have to swap from depo injection to the implant and i was wondering if it hurts when it is inserted or maybe what they do ?

The nurse numbed the area first (the needle hurt a little) and then she drew a dot on me and used the object to insert it, i didn't feel it after the area was numb so it wasn't painful for me, your arm does feel achy and bruised for a few days after though and you'll have a bandage put on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Gemmegg
The nurse numbed the area first (the needle hurt a little) and then she drew a dot on me and used the object to insert it, i didn't feel it after the area was numb so it wasn't painful for me, your arm does feel achy and bruised for a few days after though and you'll have a bandage put on.

Thank you that sort of helps put my mind at rest abit i guess it just the thought you have thinking about it going in so thanx Gemmegg. :wink:
It hurts if you don't get the ladicane shot. Which I didn't. I felt it. It hurts. Take the shot if they give it as an option.
Reply 6
I'm a contraceptive connoisseur 😉😂
I've been on the pill, injection, patch and now I'm on the implant.

I haven't had any problems with it, don't bleed and have increased hunger but not got any weight gain(thats likely because of my metabolism condition though) weight gain might be likely and bleeding is weird, you may never bored again! (bit dramatic but yeah haha) or you may bleed continuously and need the pill to regulate it.

A few friends of mine have had theirs inserted wrong but I've noticed a pattern and that being they all went to our GP surgery 🤔
I've had better luck myself as I went to a contraceptive clinic as they have trained nurses and they tend to be better(not always, some ate real dang moody haha)

The procedure wasn't painful for me if I'm honest but don't be a hero take the local anaesthetic shot i'm sure you won't feel anything with that 👌
I have a high pain tolerance and the shot puts me in worse pain so I usually go without

It's straightforward just a shot, implant inserted, plaster on and boom off you go, leave the plaster on for as long as they say and don't get the wound wet x

Quick Reply

Latest