The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
No thanks.
Reply 141
I think mandarin is probably the most important one to be learning, not sure why we still teach kids french as default. I don't see why Arabic would be particularly useful to learn.
Reply 142
Original post by de_monies
Nothing other than business reasons. Yeah the lingua franca today is English but it hasn't always been English

Once upon a time, Arabic was the lingua franca (afaik so feel free to prove me wrong)

Also not to mention that if youre doing business with someone from another country, they're often pretty impressed that you can speak their language and more willing to do business

Not to mention that Mandarin and Arabic are some of the hardest languages on Earth to learn which would mean pushing peoples brains a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

When would this have been? Broadly speaking, moving from neolithic to present day we have:
Undetermined language, mixtures of celtic, norse and old french, moving into old english in the middle ages, Moving into a form of english that we would recognise today in the tudor period, and essentially an evolution of the terms used since then into modern language.

and because it is hard is no reason to do it, You just as well go argue that communicating with binary is hard, so we should all learn to talk to each other using a series of 0's and 1's.

Not to mention we do business with russia, france, germany, finland, india, pakistan, holland, spain, portugal, and have various dealings with many african states.
If there is a purely business justification, we should all speak every language under the sun? We is arabic so much better, when most of our bussiness of any size to these countries is defence related.
Original post by c471
When would this have been? Broadly speaking, moving from neolithic to present day we have:
Undetermined language, mixtures of celtic, norse and old french, moving into old english in the middle ages, Moving into a form of english that we would recognise today in the tudor period, and essentially an evolution of the terms used since then into modern language.

and because it is hard is no reason to do it, You just as well go argue that communicating with binary is hard, so we should all learn to talk to each other using a series of 0's and 1's.

Not to mention we do business with russia, france, germany, finland, india, pakistan, holland, spain, portugal, and have various dealings with many african states.
If there is a purely business justification, we should all speak every language under the sun? We is arabic so much better, when most of our bussiness of any size to these countries is defence related.

I said feel free to prove me wrong.... It's as IF you WANT to have an argument...

And I mention Arabic and Mandarin, as imo, they are two contenders to become the lingua franca of the future. And we don't just deal with Arabs because of defence. That's very narrow minded

Also, I meant to learn it from primary school. Both Mandarin/Arabic. And yes, I think binary should be taught (maybe not speaking it though, because no one actually speaks it)

Let's say I think we're incredibly lucky here as I were speaking with a Saudi Arabian guy who accidentally emailed the wrong person, but if the tables turn... we might have to start learning Mandarin/Arabic to compete

Original post by lucaf
I think mandarin is probably the most important one to be learning, not sure why we still teach kids french as default. I don't see why Arabic would be particularly useful to learn.

This. We just need to be able to train up some Mandarin teachers :biggrin: French seems to be an ever dying language these days :tongue:

It's also a shame that many people are writing off Arabic purely because it's a "Muslim" language, despite many non Muslims speaking Arabic, or any ill founded views. Some people have legitimate reasons ie: English is still the lingua franca of the world, but others, it's just like "aaargh"
(edited 10 years ago)
Ne (=no)
Original post by h3isenberg
Hahaha, wow. Impressive stuff from a future doctor. They speak Arabic in Israel and UAE too and everyone knows those populations are scattered with terrorists...

Why am I getting so much hate for saying this because I'm a medical student... you're like the 4th person to make a comment about this. Geezo guys, we are humans too - i.e. entitled to our own opinions.
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
I should probably learn my own mother tongue before I learn another language.

Lol this. It was almost embarassing that when I did learn Arabic, I knew more Arabic than say urdu. That's not my "mother tongue" but pretty close

And I still barely know any punjabi :tongue:
If someone else made this thread replies would have been more positive :lol:

I agree with the language downfall though, languages shouldn't be taught from a young age.

I'm really going to try and learn French, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin and Arabic properly.

Also perhaps German and Russian if I can get my head around the grammar again.
It's also a shame that many people are writing off Arabic purely because it's a "Muslim" language, despite many non Muslims speaking Arabic, or any ill founded views. Some people have legitimate reasons ie: English is still the lingua franca of the world, but others, it's just like "aaargh"

Interestingly, in Malta, which happens to be one of the most Catholic countries in the world, they speak the Maltese language which is very closely related to Arabic but written in Latin script :beard: So technically one of the most Catholic countries in the world speaks Arabic.

Original post by Al-Mudaari
What you consider to be "right or wrong" is not necessarily based on any objective truths, nor is it something everyone accepts.

Same right back at you :wink:
Original post by pjm600
Countries where Arabic is an official language:

Algeria (y), Bahrain (y,1), Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt (y), Eritrea, Iraq (y, 200+), Jordan (y), Kuwait (y, 1), Lebanon (y), Libya (y, 18+), Morocco (y?), Oman (y), Palestine (y, 6), Qatar, Saudi Arabia (y,180+), Somalia (y, 24+), Sudan (y, 33), Syria (y, 18), Tunisia (y), United Arab Emirates (y, 1), Yemen (y, 94+).

The brackets show the ones who still use the death penalty, and the number of people killed by it in the past 3 years. A number of them still use public executions. Safe to say most of them are pretty backwards.

There's also that country who we all know that still use the death penalty. They don't have public executions, but they used to. Oh yeah, that country's name. The United States of America

Some people here really do have a good reason why they won't learn Arabic ie: they won't need it, they won't visit these countries, it's not the lingua franca (atm) etc... BUT your point is like me saying because there are some backwards things in the United States, no one should learn English

Original post by PeaceTreaty
No; it's a horrible language and a waste of time.

How is ANY language horrible?

Original post by Blazinq
No thanks, if I wanted to learn that crap language, I would of done.

And how is ANY language crap? Though I think you probably need to brush up on your English :biggrin:

Original post by thunder_chunky
Just to clarify, my answer said "no thanks" simply because I'm not really interested in learning the language at this time. What my other responses have been about is something slightly different and isn't me saying that I wouldn't learn it for that reason.

It's annoying. There are those who say stuff like "Oh it's a terrorist language"( see what I've quoted) and on the other extreme, there are people saying (essentially) "Why are you NOT learning it. You racist" when it's pretty clear from your past posts, that you're pretty liberal on things

Original post by Clessus
Usefullness aside (which I think is quite subjective and depends largely on the person), unfortunately it's quite a difficult language, with a difficult script (no short vowels), and pronouncing ع gives me a sore throat.

Ayyyyynnn :tongue:
Gaaayyyynnnn :tongue:

Original post by sugar-n-spice
Surely Hindi would be more useful

This is true. As a BRIC nation, it might be wise to learn that as well. The annoying thing is that people will object to learning any non European language, purely because it plays on some people's already racist views that people have (as shown in this thread), when they can clearly benefit us as a country

Slightly off topic, the UK is meant to try and become this "heart of Islamic finance" in order to rival Dubai, and you've already got people saying "Oh they're bending over backwards" etc... I mean it's finance, in a different way, and if any thing it's ethical...

Original post by Al-Mudaari

And I'll pray that you one day realise that the world does not revolve around your own narrow minded western perceptions, for which anyone to disagree is considered "brainwashed". What you consider to be "right or wrong" is not necessarily based on any objective truths, nor is it something everyone accepts.

Nor is yours ie: like when you called British culture drinking,being prostitutes, gambling etc...

Original post by ForgetMe
Ne (=no)

That would be "la" :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 150
No thanks, if I wanted to learn that crap language, I would of done.
There is actually no need for any hatred towards a language. It is fine if you do not want to learn it or do not like the sound of it but there is no need to bash the countries or the actual language for this.
Reply 152

This. We just need to be able to train up some Mandarin teachers :biggrin: French seems to be an ever dying language these days :tongue:

definitely agree with that. I mean I don't think it is the most important language in the world, but the idiots going "we don't need any of that muslim crap here" are being ridiculous. it actually is quite a useful one to learn, it is quite a common language internationally after all.
Original post by moment of truth
There is actually no need for any hatred towards a language. It is fine if you do not want to learn it or do not like the sound of it but there is no need to bash the countries or the actual language for this.

This. It's annoying when people bash the speakers of a language, purely because it's another language. I'd imagine if Hebrew was bashed in the same way, there would be an uproar (and rightfully so)
Reply 154
There's also that country who we all know that still use the death penalty. They don't have public executions, but they used to. Oh yeah, that country's name. The United States of America

Some people here really do have a good reason why they won't learn Arabic ie: they won't need it, they won't visit these countries, it's not the lingua franca (atm) etc... BUT your point is like me saying because there are some backwards things in the United States, no one should learn English

And how is ANY language crap? Though I think you probably need to brush up on your English :biggrin:

It's annoying. There are those who say stuff like "Oh it's a terrorist language"( see what I've quoted) and on the other extreme, there are people saying (essentially) "Why are you NOT learning it. You racist" when it's pretty clear from your past posts, that you're pretty liberal on things

This is true. As a BRIC nation, it might be wise to learn that as well. The annoying thing is that people will object to learning any non European language, purely because it plays on some people's already racist views that people have (as shown in this thread), when they can clearly benefit us as a country

Slightly off topic, the UK is meant to try and become this "heart of Islamic finance" in order to rival Dubai, and you've already got people saying "Oh they're bending over backwards" etc... I mean it's finance, in a different way, and if any thing it's ethical...

Nor is yours ie: like when you called British culture drinking,being prostitutes, gambling etc...

I don't:smile:
Original post by Blazinq
I don't:smile:

Sorry Im playing on "should of" Though you haven't explained why you think it's a "crap language"

La? :lolwut: Ne in my language means no :teehee:
Original post by ForgetMe
La? :lolwut: Ne in my language means no :teehee:

La is no in Arabic :smile: So someone saying lalalalalalalala is saying nononononono :P
Reply 158

Hey, I'm no hypocrite, of course I find america's criminal justice system retarded. The use of the death penalty is, in my opinion, an indicator of a country stuck in the dark ages. The majority of officially Arabic-speaking nations also have this indicator, and many still even have public executions.

I wasn't arguing against visiting those countries because they still have the death penalty, rather I was supporting 'Mad Vlad's' point that:

"It's not like I'm going to need it seeing as the countries that speak it are as socially backwards as the writing direction and I have no intention of ever visiting them."

Indeed I agree with him countries that use it are socially backwards.
Original post by pjm600
Hey, I'm no hypocrite, of course I find america's criminal justice system retarded. The use of the death penalty is, in my opinion, an indicator of a country stuck in the dark ages. The majority of officially Arabic-speaking nations also have this indicator, and many still even have public executions.

I wasn't arguing against visiting those countries because they still have the death penalty, rather I was supporting 'Mad Vlad's' point that:

"It's not like I'm going to need it seeing as the countries that speak it are as socially backwards as the writing direction and I have no intention of ever visiting them."

Indeed I agree with him countries that use it are socially backwards.

Fair enough I guess. Though not all Arab countries are "socially backwards"

Latest

Trending

Trending