The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsmagic
WOO!
Just working as a HCA, volunteering at a primary school and singing and piano lessons and having a life in my spare time. Got a trip to Europe planned next year - backpacking with two of my best friends! :biggrin: What've you got planned for your gap year?
Oh so quite northern-y unis! (I'm as far down south as you can go so anything above London is north for me haha!)
Omg I saw that after all the giddy happiness and then it hit me that I'm going to have to prepare really hard for this! Stupid essays!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Backpacking sounds amazing! I'm volunteering at a medical museum (lol I basically just do arts and crafts with kids) and I start soon at a care home, part of a programme where I run campaigns about issues affecting young people and then I do a little bit of tutoring. Good for you getting a HCA job, must be such hard work. I'm so hopelessly unemployed...genuinely failed the online assessment to work at Gregg's :frown: I'm going to try getting temp work in offices...I want to go to Spain!
Birmingham isn't north! Haha I'm from Yorkshire so I'm a little wary of the south lol.
Ooh I wish I could sing, because I love to act but I can never be in musicals *sigh* unless there's one about dying cats...
I know right! And we only have 15 mins to write an essay?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 661
Guys plz answer. I am anceuropean applicant with no gcses, ukcat 732.5 and iB 45/45 predoctions. What are my chances? How does kings assess people with gcses? Plz Plz answr i am really anxious!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsmagic
WOO!
Just working as a HCA, volunteering at a primary school and singing and piano lessons and having a life in my spare time. Got a trip to Europe planned next year - backpacking with two of my best friends! :biggrin: What've you got planned for your gap year?
Oh so quite northern-y unis! (I'm as far down south as you can go so anything above London is north for me haha!)
Omg I saw that after all the giddy happiness and then it hit me that I'm going to have to prepare really hard for this! Stupid essays!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your interview :-) I just wanted to ask, have they given you like an extra-curricular form you need to fill out, with the contact details of your work experience etc required?

Also, what is this essay thing, are they making people right essays this year? :frown:
Reply 663
What will happen on the day

You should report for your interview at least 40 minutes before it starts. When you arrive you will be registered and given two preliminary tasks

Task 1: You will be handed a brief ethical case study to read and consider, you will be asked about this as part of the interview and selection process

Task 2: You will be given an essay question to answer, this essay will not be marked on the day but may be taken into consideration later to differentiate candidates who score very similarly in the interview. The essay question will be about the values and attributes of doctors, you will not need any advanced knowledge or preparation.

You will have 15 minutes to complete each of these tasks. As it is important that interviews run to time, late arrival may reduce the time available for completion of the preliminary tasks. Your interview will be with members of clinical and academic staff and will last around 15-20 minutes.
Original post by Razer_M

You should report for your interview at least 40 minutes before it starts. When you arrive you will be registered and given two preliminary tasks

Task 1: You will be handed a brief ethical case study to read and consider, you will be asked about this as part of the interview and selection process

Task 2: You will be given an essay question to answer, this essay will not be marked on the day but may be taken into consideration later to differentiate candidates who score very similarly in the interview. The essay question will be about the values and attributes of doctors, you will not need any advanced knowledge or preparation.

You will have 15 minutes to complete each of these tasks. As it is important that interviews run to time, late arrival may reduce the time available for completion of the preliminary tasks. Your interview will be with members of clinical and academic staff and will last around 15-20 minutes.

Thanks for that :-)

Also, did you get any sort of forms you have to fill out? Like extra-curricular/work experience reference contacts?
Original post by Razer_M

Is this new for this year? esp the essay writing, and 15 mins to write an essay? :shock:
Reply 666
Original post by GCSE-help
Thanks for that :-)

Also, did you get any sort of forms you have to fill out? Like extra-curricular/work experience reference contacts?

Nope, nothing of that sort.
Got a criminal record disclosure form though.
There's an interview letter pdf which doesn't open/ opens a blank pdf.

Every time i click submit to accept the invite to interview it doesn't submit either-.-

Original post by Tee Logan x
Is this new for this year? esp the essay writing, and 15 mins to write an essay? :shock:

Yeah, it's for this cycle :L
Original post by Razer_M

hey have you already got an interview? I thought it was an ethical article and a questionnaire(with several basic questions)? are you sure its an essay? btw where did you get this information from?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 668
Kings has started interviewing :eek:
Original post by Ke299
Does anyone have any idea what order they're giving out interviews? I only have 9A*s so i thought maybe it was highest GCSEs first but people with less/the same have started getting interviews :frown: I know i should be patient but as re-applicant its hard not to worry! any ideas?

I reckon they're ranking the ukcats and giving out interviews using those and maybe considering gcses too...everyone I know with a kings interview soo far has above 800 or very high 700s in their ukcat...
Original post by Rosine
Kings has started interviewing :eek:

lol they started nearly 2 weeks ago! :P
Reply 671
Original post by Razer_M

Sorry, this may have been asked before but I've just joined this thread - do you know if this is the same for GEM or are you just referring to school leavers?

Thanks
Reply 672
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
lol they started nearly 2 weeks ago! :P

For first-time, post-grad applicants?
Original post by Rosine
For first-time, post-grad applicants?

undergraduates...7 people in my college have kings interviews but they all have ukcats above 800!
Original post by Razer_M
Nope, nothing of that sort.
Got a criminal record disclosure form though.
There's an interview letter pdf which doesn't open/ opens a blank pdf.

Every time i click submit to accept the invite to interview it doesn't submit either-.-

Yeah, it's for this cycle :L

Ewwwww
Reply 675
undergraduates...7 people in my college have kings interviews but they all have ukcats above 800!

Well...then I guess that means that UKCAT is their main criteria :rolleyes:

..I'll be waiting for a veeery long time then :P

oh and I used to love that show by the way :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
The this is, there are invites for people with ukcat of 780 whereas people I know have higher are still waiting. It's more complicated than simply a ukcat ranking IMO. It seems like they're taking BOTH top GCSE candidates and top UKCAT. Gappers are maybe getting earlier interviews as well.
Reply 677
hey have you already got an interview? I thought it was an ethical article and a questionnaire(with several basic questions)? are you sure its an essay? btw where did you get this information from?

Yeah, this was on the pdf saying about interview stuff. Am i allowed to just copy everything from there? It's not exactly confidential.. :s

Original post by jam-jam
Sorry, this may have been asked before but I've just joined this thread - do you know if this is the same for GEM or are you just referring to school leavers?

Thanks

No idea, sorry :frown: I'm not applying GEM :L

Someone posted on this thread earlier a pretty good idea of how they were selecting. A UKCAT cut off, and then everyone with most A* downwards. First people who got offers had 12A* on here, then the day after were 11A* and yesterday was 10A*...something like that mebbee
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 678
Original post by Razer_M
Yeah, this was on the pdf saying about interview stuff. Am i allowed to just copy everything from there? It's not exactly confidential.. :s

No idea, sorry :frown: I'm not applying GEM :L

No worries - thanks anyway though!!
Original post by GCSE-help
The this is, there are invites for people with ukcat of 780 whereas people I know have higher are still waiting. It's more complicated than simply a ukcat ranking IMO. It seems like they're taking BOTH top GCSE candidates and top UKCAT. Gappers are maybe getting earlier interviews as well.

Quite possible that gappers go first. I scored 795 in UKCAT and 9 A* and I haven't heard anything yet. They probably are weighing personal statements as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest