The Student Room Group

Urgent help m1!!!!!!!!

Really struggling on this question.
Two particles, A and B, of mass 0.2kg and 0.5kg respectively, are connected by a light inextensible string passing over a fixed smooth light pulley. The particles are released from rest with the string taut and the hanging parts vertical. Then, at the instant when A and B are moving with speed 6.3ms^-1, B strikes an inelastic horizontal floor from which it does not rebound.

Calculate the total time from the instant when the particles were first released until the instant when A first comes to instantaneous rest. (You may assume that A does not reach the pulley.) the correct answer I must get is 2.41s.

I've calculated the magnitude of the impulse exerted on the floor by B, which is 3.15 N s.

I have calculated that a=4.2, tension=2.8.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joel abraham1111

There are two parts to the motion, where the acceleration is constant within each part.

Before B hits the ground. So you need to work out how long it takes from rest for A to reach 6.3 m/s

After B has splodged on the ground, A is now moving freely under gravity with an initial upwards vertical speed of 6.3 m/s (for this section of the working). So how long does it take to come to rest.

And add the two.
i have got 1.5m/s for one of the parts however i have no idea how to calculate the second.
Original post by joel abraham1111
i have got 1.5m/s for one of the parts however i have no idea how to calculate the second.

I presume you mean 1.5 s.

For the second part, the initial velocity is 6.3m/s, final velocity 0 m/s and acceleration is "-g". That's sufficient info. to calculate how long it takes to come to instantaneous rest.

The correct answer is 2.14, not 2.41 (as in your first post)
(edited 10 years ago)
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest