The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by de_monies
This. It's annoying when people bash the speakers of a language, purely because it's another language. I'd imagine if Hebrew was bashed in the same way, there would be an uproar (and rightfully so)

It makes no sense to do this, but people shall do as they wish.
La is no in Arabic :smile: So someone saying lalalalalalalala is saying nononononono :P

Same as someone saying "Aha" in English, is saying another form of "yes" in Lithuanian :teehee:

Also, "la" in Lithuanian could mean "hello" as a shortening of a word "labas, laba" :teehee:
Reply 162
Nah. Not going into oil.
Reply 163
Fair enough I guess. Though not all Arab countries are "socially backwards"

I'm not sure how you're counter my argument unless you don't agree that the death penalty is an indicator of a 'socially backwards' country?
Reply 164
Original post by Greenlaner
No thanks. I have absolutely zero intention of ever going anywhere near Saudi Arabia.

Err, Saudi isn't the only Arabic speaking country
Reply 165
Original post by pjm600
I'm not sure how you're counter my argument unless you don't agree that the death penalty is an indicator of a 'socially backwards' country?

So the United States is a 'socially backward' country too?
Reply 166
Original post by thunder_chunky

I think French is just as interesting. It's spoken in a fair few countries and it can be used it to woo the opposite sex.

Arabic can be used to woo women as well.
No. I cant see arabic being useful.
I'll add, if you idiots want to completely avoid a language associated with terrorist culture then somehow try and forget English.

It wasn't the Arabs who killed millions in Vietnam, nor the Arabs who supported Pinochet, funded the Contras, gave support to the Khmer Rouge and ACTUALLY WERE GREATLY RESPONSIBLE FOR PROMOTING WAHHABISM AND ISLAMIC EXTREMIST GROUPS IN THE 1980s THROUGH OPERATION CYCLONE.

These groups only became prominent after the USA started funding them in the 1980s and even invited their leaders to the White House, they did not just blossom out of thin air. It's probably a positive thing that they're biting you in the arse, A lesson not to meddle again.

Ronald Reagan when speaking about the Mujhahideen (who later spawned into Al Qaeda, Taliban, the Haqanni network and became "terrorists" when it suited the US): "These men are the moral equivalents of our founding fathers".

Shame, shame.

osama_bin_laden_the_independent_dec1993_antisoviet_warrior.jpg
Reply 169
Lol this. It was almost embarassing that when I did learn Arabic, I knew more Arabic than say urdu. That's not my "mother tongue" but pretty close

And I still barely know any punjabi :tongue:

this. most people learn arabic simply due to the compulsion on them to read their korans in arabic its not their native, or even a useful language otherwise. some epople even get this fixation thrust onto them for arabic before their own mother tongue. brainless
Original post by ForgetMe
Same as someone saying "Aha" in English, is saying another form of "yes" in Lithuanian :teehee:

Also, "la" in Lithuanian could mean "hello" as a shortening of a word "labas, laba" :teehee:

That's actually pretty cool :biggrin:

Original post by pjm600

I didn't counter your argument. Im just saying that not all Arab countries are "socially backwards"

Original post by slimmer
this. most people learn arabic simply due to the compulsion on them to read their korans in arabic its not their native, or even a useful language otherwise. some epople even get this fixation thrust onto them for arabic before their own mother tongue. brainless

Nope. Our learning was pretty voluntaty. The local mosque asked us "Would you guys like to learn Arabic" and we were like yeah :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No. I cant see arabic being useful.
To understand The Quran better?
Original post by Multitalented me
To understand The Quran better?

:lol:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
:lol:
Why the face? It's certainly better to know it in Arabic & make a decision on it's credibility than English.
Original post by Multitalented me
Why the face? It's certainly better to know it in Arabic & make a decision on it's credibility than English.

I dont think there are any brits who are going to learn arabic purely to be able to understand the Quran...
Reply 175
Original post by ANON15
So the United States is a 'socially backward' country too?

As I have already said, perhaps implicitly, yes. As is Japan, China etc.

Though I'll reserve the right to ascribe a special, 'very socially backwards' judgement to countries who still use public executions.
Reply 176

Nope. Our learning was pretty voluntaty. The local mosque asked us "Would you guys like to learn Arabic" and we were like yeah :smile:

why didnt they ask you to learn madarin, or spanish? they compelled you to learn arabic, because it serves their purpose to have more arabic speakers. think about it
Original post by slimmer
why didnt they ask you to learn madarin, or spanish? they compelled you to learn arabic, because it serves their purpose to have more arabic speakers. think about it

This was a MOSQUE
Reply 178
Original post by Inzamam99
I'll add, if you idiots want to completely avoid a language associated with terrorist culture then somehow try and forget English.

It wasn't the Arabs who killed millions in Vietnam, nor the Arabs who supported Pinochet, funded the Contras, gave support to the Khmer Rouge

you a little off radar of the topic, but in reply- it was the arabs that did kill off millions in africa, middle east, west asia, balkan europe etc in spreading of islam by their wars of imperialism. they also supported the naziis in wwii.
Reply 179
This was a MOSQUE
exactly - so their motivation is only to get you to read their koran and also learn arabic. its not a good example you chose.

Latest

Trending

Trending