The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Argh! So I get home and I can't find my degree transcript. I am applying for Primary PGCE - do you think it necessary to put all of my modules? Also, how many credits did you get per module at undergrad? I know you need a total of 360 for a Hons degree.
Reply 1541
Does anyone know anything about the 'King Edward's Consortium'?
Original post by sophiebath12
Hiya

I passed my Skills Tests when I applied last year (and didnt get in) however Im trying to rebook them but it is saying I have to wait until 2016!?! I passed first time, so I don't understand what's going on? xxx

They last for 3 years - you don't need to do them again
Reply 1543
One reference already received and I only posted it an hour ago! :-)
(Original post by neonlj)
Just two quick questions.

On the personal statement, it seems to be very strict about the statement checks. I applied last year and the statement I'm using this year is just a reworked version of last years PS. Some of the sentences will likely be exactly the same, is this an issue.

On the School and work experience bit, I have loads of different experiences and want to include as much as possible. The example they give doesn't really give any detail on responsibilities and knowledge/ experience gained. Is it just for a quick note of each placement, or am I best giving a brief bit of info on the experiences?

Thanks in advance to whoever is lovely enough to answer these questions. I hope all your applications are going well! Yes, that is a massive issue. You cannot reuse the same personal statement, nor reuse certain parts of it. You need to completely reword it.

They use software such as Turnitin to detect plagiarism, and your PS will be flagged up if you submit the same one (or parts of it the same) as last year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No this is not an issue - you cannot plagiarise your own work

7. Can I use the personal statement I wrote for a previous application again?

Yes, you can use a statement from a previous application provided the original was all your own work. The service removes all matches where the name and date of birth of the applicant are the same, so if the service highlights similarities it will not match with your previous statement but with other sources already in our library.
Reply 1545
Four words.... 5 too many lines
The availability of your choices may change between now and when you pay and send your application to UCAS. You can finalise them up until just before you pay and send your application to UCAS.

Anyone had this message? :confused:
Reply 1547
Original post by andy1234567
(Original post by neonlj)
Just two quick questions.

On the personal statement, it seems to be very strict about the statement checks. I applied last year and the statement I'm using this year is just a reworked version of last years PS. Some of the sentences will likely be exactly the same, is this an issue.

On the School and work experience bit, I have loads of different experiences and want to include as much as possible. The example they give doesn't really give any detail on responsibilities and knowledge/ experience gained. Is it just for a quick note of each placement, or am I best giving a brief bit of info on the experiences?

Thanks in advance to whoever is lovely enough to answer these questions. I hope all your applications are going well! Yes, that is a massive issue. You cannot reuse the same personal statement, nor reuse certain parts of it. You need to completely reword it.

They use software such as Turnitin to detect plagiarism, and your PS will be flagged up if you submit the same one (or parts of it the same) as last year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No this is not an issue - you cannot plagiarise your own work

7. Can I use the personal statement I wrote for a previous application again?

Yes, you can use a statement from a previous application provided the original was all your own work. The service removes all matches where the name and date of birth of the applicant are the same, so if the service highlights similarities it will not match with your previous statement but with other sources already in our library.

I nearly had a heart attack reading that previous post! thank you so much for clarifying.

I will ring them up tomorrow just to make sure.
Original post by Gemmac2382
Hiya, please can anyone give me any advice? I have a 2:1 in BSc Biology, but only a D in GCSE Science.... I completed an Access to Higher Education to get onto my degree course. Am I able to apply for a PGCE without a C in Science taking into account my other qualifications? Many thanks

If I recall correctly, (I applied last year and did not get in), you need at least a C grade at GCSE level in Maths, English and Science to do most PCGEs. It will tell you in red writing at the end of your application (before you submit it) if you do not meet the requirements. My friend had to retake some of her GCSEs just to apply this year. she really wants to be a teacher though. You also have to do a separate test to apply this year called a 'Skills Test' which will test your maths, english and science skills on GCSE level also.
Reply 1549
I changed my PS loads in the end, just waiting to have it proof read by my partner, but it might have strengthened it, which is only a good thing.

I just have a question about the work experience thing. Do you just put where you did it an how long? Because I've tried to add some detail on what I learned along the way, but it's now too long and I've no chance of making it shorter...
Reply 1550
Philippa you need to verify your email address and go back to references and send request. You then pay once references have been received
Reply 1551
Original post by neonlj
I changed my PS loads in the end, just waiting to have it proof read by my partner, but it might have strengthened it, which is only a good thing.

I just have a question about the work experience thing. Do you just put where you did it an how long? Because I've tried to add some detail on what I learned along the way, but it's now too long and I've no chance of making it shorter...

I literally just listed my experience:

E.g
Rainbow school, green hill road, London, Role: Teaching assistant. From Sept 2013- present.

Sugar school, green road, London. Role: learning support assistant From sept 2011- sep 2012. Total time: 12 months.

and so on. (I made up the names for this thread lol)
Reply 1552
Original post by cutebat
I literally just listed my experience:

E.g
Rainbow school, green hill road, London, Role: Teaching assistant. From Sept 2013- present.

Sugar school, green road, London. Role: learning support assistant From sept 2011- sep 2012. Total time: 12 months.

and so on. (I made up the names for this thread lol)

Yeah, I just saw that they asked you to write about school experience in your PS rather than in that box, so I've done the same thing.
Original post by neonlj
Ah Crap, this is going to bugger everything up now. :s-smilie:

You can submit the same PS as you wrote it. It will be flagged up that you wrote it and therefore should be ignored.
Reply 1554
Quick question :smile: I have just submitted my application, and as I was sending off the reference requests, I saw that the referees can see the details you have provided. Does this mean they have access to your whole application? Personal statement, work experience, education etc?? Just curious, seems like personal information... especially the statement
Does anyone know why it is saying i don't have the science requirements, even though i got 2 c's in science?! X
Original post by andy1234567
They last for 3 years - you don't need to do them again

Ahhh thank you so much - I was under the impression I did because they've raised the pass mark. Phew x
Original post by Jill14
Quick question :smile: I have just submitted my application, and as I was sending off the reference requests, I saw that the referees can see the details you have provided. Does this mean they have access to your whole application? Personal statement, work experience, education etc?? Just curious, seems like personal information... especially the statement

Yeah I gathered they can see everything. I doubt they are going to go over it with a fine tooth comb though. I think my first reference who has done his didn't even read it, it took him way too little time if he did!
I see people are hurrying so much. It is not necessarily that good in my opinion because you are doing rushed work and a poor application sent early might not be too different from a good application sent late. :smile:
Does anyone know what happens if one of the unis you apply for doesn't get any places allocated and can't run the course? Does that then mean that you've wasted a choice or will you be able to change it to something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending