The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It doesn't? pffft why wouldn't it?
Reply 2
Original post by tazmaniac97
Why does 13 divided by 0 not equal infinity? I really don't understand why?:confused:
My Maths teacher who has a PhD. in Mathematics told us. So basically I told my friend in another class, and she said it doesn't. So we both decided to have a bet on here on which one of us is right.

n0\dfrac{n}{0} is undefined
Reply 3
Original post by SiMan
It doesn't? pffft why wouldn't it?

Original post by TenOfThem
n0\dfrac{n}{0} is undefined

but my maths teacher who has a PHD said it would, why should I believe you and not him?
Reply 4
Why does 13 divided by 0 not equal infinity? I really don't understand why?:confused:
My Maths teacher who has a PhD. in Mathematics told us. So basically I told my friend in another class, and she said it doesn't. So we both decided to have a bet on here on which one of us is right.

n/0 is undefined; there's no answer as it doesn't make mathematical sense.
Reply 5
Original post by Strangey
n/0 is undefined; there's no answer as it doesn't make mathematical sense.

who says it doesn't make mathematical sense, it makes perfect mathematical sense to me.
Reply 6
but my maths teacher who has a PHD said it would, why should I believe you and not him?

Well if he says cows are birds would you believe him because he is a PhD? Ask him to prove it then.
Reply 7
who says it doesn't make mathematical sense, it makes perfect mathematical sense to me.

How does it make perfect sense? 0 x infinity does not give you 13.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

The real numbers are defined as a field along with several other properties which don't matter for this. Using just the properties of a field, we can show that 0 has no multiplicitive inverse as follows-

Assume 0^(-1)=k

Then 0*k=1 (property of inverses)

so (0+0)*k=1 (0 is the additive identity)

so 0*k+0*k=1 (distributive property)

so 1+0*k=1 (by 2nd line)

so 0*k=0 (take 1 from both sides)

which is a contradiction since 0 does not equal 1.
Reply 9
One thing you can sometimes do to try and get an understanding of things which aren't defined is to take limits. For example the limit as x->0 of x/x is 1, and the limit as x->0 of 1/x^2 is infinity, but the limit of 1/x as x->0 does not exist. To see this let x->0 from above (so x is always positive) and you get infinity. Also let x->0 from below, so you get -infinity. Since a limit must have only 1 value, it cannot exist in this case.

From the age 5 up until about 15, I thought infinity made perfect 'mathematical sense' to me. And then I started to find out about the actual maths, and realised I really didn't have a clue. Don't be fooled by what seems like common sense...
Reply 11

It probably makes little mathematical sense because you don't know that much about mathematics. Sounds harsh, but in this case I'm afraid it is true. I don't claim to be especially knowledgeable, but at least I looked at the wikipedia and wolfram mathworld pages on this.

Suppose a0=\frac{a}{0}=\infty
This implies that ×0=a\infty \times 0 = a where a0 a \neq 0. And I really hope you can see why that doesn't make sense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
If you had an infinite number of nothing, you'd still have nothing, you wouldn't magically get numbers coming out of nowhere :tongue: Therefore it's undefined

Do not worry, I am a professor Emeritus from Harvard in mathematics, therefore the mathematical validity of my statement supercedes that of your mathematics teacher's. :smile:

Either you are misquoting him and he said something like "as x gets really small from the RHS, 13/x tends to infinity" or he shouldn't have a PhD in maths if he makes a mistake like this.

13/0 just like 1/0, 2/0, ... , a/0 is undefined.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
What he said ^. Saying 1/0 equals infinity is like saying an infinite amount of nothing will give you something. It simply does not make sense.
Reply 15
There's SO many YouTube videos on dividing by zero... Numberphile actually found that it could actually equal anything you like, and they came up with a proof to show it.
Reply 16
Original post by SiMan
Well if he says cows are birds would you believe him because he is a PhD? Ask him to prove it then.

But if he said that then there must be a good reason for it, so I would believe him
Reply 17
Original post by 2710
How does it make perfect sense? 0 x infinity does not give you 13.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but if I applied your logic to this situation, then...
13 x 0 = 0
so why doesn't 0 divided by 0 equal 13
Yeah but if I applied your logic to this situation, then...
13 x 0 = 0
so why doesn't 0 divided by 0 equal 13

Please read this entire wikipedia article before posting again.

Because if it did, you could make any number equal to any other. For example,

13/0=5/0 (assuming dividing by 0 gives infinity)

So multiplying by 0 would give 13=5, which is clearly false, so dividing by 0 is simply undefined.

Hope this clears it up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest