The Student Room Group

Available courses

At the sixth form in planning to go go to, there are only around 40 courses available (this just seems insufficient to me).

AVAILABLE A LEVELS:
Art & Design
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry
Design & Technology
Drama and Theatre Studies
Economics
English Language
English Literature
Geography
General Studies
History
Mathematics
Modern Languages (French, German or Spanish)
Music
Physical Education
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology

AVAILABLE BTEC'S:
Art and Design Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, or Level 3 Diploma
Dance Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, or Level 3 Diploma
Health & Social Care Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, or Level 3 Diploma
Hospitality Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
ICT Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, or Level 3 Diploma
Applied Law Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
Public Services Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
Science (Applied) Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
Sport Level 3 Diploma
3D Design/Art & Design Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
Travel and Tourism Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma

I'm not planning on taking any BTEC's but thought I would just list all of the available subjects.

I've decided I want to take English Language, English Literature and French. I want to be either an English teacher or an English as a foreign language teacher. Are these wise choices? And if you took any of these A-Levels, what were they like?

My GCSE's for each of those subjects were with the WJEC exam board but I guess it could be different at A-Level.

Also what should I take as my 4th option? I will most likely only take it to AS but I still want something good. I was thinking Maths, but some people have said its too difficult. If not Maths what other subject could be helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Reply 2
Well, if you end up taking an Education and English course at uni, I would suggest either psychology or sociology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Maths might show that you're a well round student, being both skilled in language and maths. I've only just started my AS, but so far I'm finding it doable, depends on if you're good at maths though. C1 is kind of like an extension of GCSE A* level maths, according to people on here. I think maths gets majorly difficult at A2, so since I'm assuming you'd drop it after AS, you won't face that issue. I'd say if you're an A you should be able to cope well??

Or maybe you could take another essay subject, like maybe history. Apparently general studies, business, drama and sociology are seen as quite soft, but if you enjoy one of them then as long as you drop it after AS, I doubt unis will mind.

Just do what you want to though, as your fourth. Think about what you've been interested in at GCSE, because one of the easiest ways to fail is by having no motivation and no interest to learn the content and understand it.

Good luck in picking your options and everything :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Okkefac
Maths might show that you're a well round student, being both skilled in language and maths. I've only just started my AS, but so far I'm finding it doable, depends on if you're good at maths though. C1 is kind of like an extension of GCSE A* level maths, according to people on here. I think maths gets majorly difficult at A2, so since I'm assuming you'd drop it after AS, you won't face that issue. I'd say if you're an A you should be able to cope well??

Or maybe you could take another essay subject, like maybe history. Apparently general studies, business, drama and sociology are seen as quite soft, but if you enjoy one of them then as long as you drop it after AS, I doubt unis will mind.

Just do what you want to though, as your fourth. Think about what you've been interested in at GCSE, because one of the easiest ways to fail is by having no motivation and no interest to learn the content and understand it.

Good luck in picking your options and everything :biggrin:

Really helpful answer, thank you! :yep: I'll have a chat with my maths teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If it's not a very big 6th form then it's not surprising that they only do 40 courses. They offer a lot of btecs, possibly implying that the kind of students they have apply are more likely to do btecs than a-levels. My old 6th form only offers 30 a-levels and about 15 btecs, so similar to yours.
Reply 6
Original post by staticas
Really helpful answer, thank you! :yep: I'll have a chat with my maths teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! :biggrin: That sounds like a good plan, make sure they be honest though and don't just try and make you take their subject. I personally adore maths and with I took further because I love it so much, but if you're not that interested then it might not be for you. (I didn't love it at GCSE though, 'cause you didn't get to do anything cool at GCSE).
You say you're taking French, but it's not listed as one of the available courses at your 6th form? :s
Or do you plan to take it elsewhere?
Reply 8
Original post by thatitootoo
You say you're taking French, but it's not listed as one of the available courses at your 6th form? :s
Or do you plan to take it elsewhere?

I forgot to add in Modern Languages:^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest