The Student Room Group

anyone appeal successfully after being rejected?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iamet
Thank you for all of your advice. And i have appealed successfully, finally got an interview at 12/12:smile:

gratz
Original post by Iamet
Thank you for all of your advice. And i have appealed successfully, finally got an interview at 12/12:smile:

Congratulations, I was confident you would. It's a shame such mistakes happen but we're all human after all. Good luck with your interviews :smile:
Original post by Iamet

that's wonderful news, congratulations and all the best (:

(brace yourself for an influx of PMs going "omg how exactly did you appeal?!" :tongue:)
Original post by Iamet

Congrats!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Congratulations!!!! What did they say after you appealed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Hi everyone- unfortunately I have a similar situation.

I have applied to the University of Cambridge for Engineering. I have already finished my IB Diploma Programme and got.... 45 points including Maths HL and Physics HL (so way above they entry requirements).

Today, I was surprised to get a letter saying that my application has been rejected and I will not have an interview. This result proves that I am academically capable of doing this course. Moreover, I had an interview last year and got pooled (and then unfortunately rejected). That shows that my PS/SAQ application should be ok (as I got a little bit of experience on how to do this last year).

I had an interview @ Imperial on Wednesday and they were saying only things about my excellent academic background and I do not have any problems with any questions/test.

I do not understand this decision and I probably will not appeal. But all of you can see that such things might happen. (Crazy Uni tbh...)
Reply 106
Original post by Iamet
Thank you for all of your advice. And i have appealed successfully, finally got an interview on 12/12:smile:

Well done & good luck for the interview. With such high UMS you must stand a good chance.
Reply 107
Original post by Iamet
Thank you for all of your advice. And i have appealed successfully, finally got an interview on 12/12:smile:

Let that be another valuable lesson for you - if you don't ask, you won't get!

Good luck!
Original post by Arieisit
To be honest I only heard of this Heidelberg university today but I highly doubt its on par with The University of Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you basing it on, or is it just a gut feeling like many others who categorise universities as Oxbridge and the rest, or Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge and the rest?
Reply 109
Original post by smileatyourself
What are you basing it on, or is it just a gut feeling like many others who categorise universities as Oxbridge and the rest, or Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge and the rest?

I'm basing it on the number of nobel prize winners associated with the university + reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icouldntthinkofone
No it isn't. Almost every single ranking Ive ever seen has placed Harvard as no 1, every single company CEO Ive ever met wouldwide says different, Harvard has far more money to spend per student, I believe Harvard/Columbia both have more Nobel Prize winners, Stanford/MIT/Harvard lead the field in almost every major area of research Ive ever looked at any rankign for, Cambridge has a very limited business school (although improving) etc etc etc.

Have you been to Harvard/Stanford/Chicago for yourself???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation

If you look at nobel prize winners who were graduates of the university, and not just research staff brought in by the treasure troves of money the american unis have, then you will see there is hardly anything between Cambridge and Harvard. No other unis can compete really. (Oxford has a decent number but more prime ministers.) Added to that, most of the ivy leagues are also below Oxford in terms of nobel prizes won by graduates.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by icouldntthinkofone
Those grades are the bare minimum. They also want something unique and interesting about you, a strong extra curricular picture etc etc. My 2 pieces of advice would be either a) forget it, move on - there are loads of other incredible universities around eg LSE, Imperial, UCL, Bath, Manchester etc. b) If you really, really think you are good enough and reallly, passionately want to go, take a year out and apply once you have your final A level grades - that way, for them its not a prediction but what you actually get.

Please note tho, loads of people get the grades. You have to offer more than just that.

Good luck.

How is a UMS of 98 bare minimum when they only ask for 90+ on a scale where 100 is max?
Original post by locrian37
How is a UMS of 98 bare minimum when they only ask for 90+ on a scale where 100 is max?

We've already established earlier in the thread that the poster you quoted doesn't know what he's talking about, is being seriously misleading and should be ignored.
Original post by Elektram
Hi everyone- unfortunately I have a similar situation.

I have applied to the University of Cambridge for Engineering. I have already finished my IB Diploma Programme and got.... 45 points including Maths HL and Physics HL (so way above they entry requirements).

Did you get 7 in both Maths and Physics?
Reply 114
Original post by Jessmukkah
Did you get 7 in both Maths and Physics?

I thought 45 was the maximum and only 108 students got it worldwide. Sounds an odd story.
Reply 115
Yep, I got 7 in Maths HL, Physics HL and English HL (+ 7 in Chemistry SL which is recognized as a quite useful "optional subject" for engineering degree).

I wrote an e-mail to the admission office (if they can consider the circumstances/result etc.) and they said "they must make a selection. there is no chance to offer me an interview".

So ok- let's assume that they want to give a place to 8 students with top results. How can you have better score than this?! With all appropriate subjects, summer Headstart experience, 1 Year @ Southampton uni and glider course -.-

I don't think I had any problem with writing a good PS (since I got an invitation to the Imperial College interview) so this decision is like big "WTF?!" to me.

EDIT:
I absolutely fine with that. I wrote this post to show people around the world who desperately want to study there (and do not get an offer) that even with such amazing score you can be rejected without even getting an interview.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by Elektram
Yep, I got 7 in Maths HL, Physics HL and English HL (+ 7 in Chemistry SL which is recognized as a quite useful "optional subject" for engineering degree).

I wrote an e-mail to the admission office (if they can consider the circumstances/result etc.) and they said "they must make a selection. there is no chance to offer me an interview".

So ok- let's assume that they want to give a place to 8 students with top results. How can you have better score than this?! With all appropriate subjects, summer Headstart experience, 1 Year @ Southampton uni and glider course -.-

I don't think I had any problem with writing a good PS (since I got an invitation to the Imperial College interview) so this decision is like big "WTF?!" to me.

Just deal with it. Ok? Not everyone can get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
What do you mean about one year at Southampton university? Cambridge are not usually that keen on applications from students at other universities. What course did you do? Did you drop out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you do an entrance exam? If so maybe you did badly on it?
Original post by Colmans
I thought 45 was the maximum and only 108 students got it worldwide. Sounds an odd story.

The IB website says that less than 1% of students get 45 points worldwide, so yeah, presumably a very small number of students.

I'd certainly be surprised that someone with those grades was rejected before interview, but it would all hinge on the Maths and Physics HL grades (they would have to be both 7 to be looked at really). I'm also not sure how the University views the IB as a good prep for Engineering, i.e. if Maths and Physics HL is equivalent to Maths, FM and Physics at A2 - it could be that there's not enough maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending