The Student Room Group

Weird thing going on between me and a guy on my course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by überambitious_ox
I may just play his game back for a few days...then maybe he will get fed up and introduce himself. If that doesn't work, I will try and bump into hi or something. haha
You have learnt well young one :tongue:
Reply 41
But, I don't want to be the first one to say something, being the girl.

Yeah, because girls can't say anything, that's well-known... or what's the logic behind that?

Should I be cold and make him want it more?

Oh yeah, a marvellous idea. That's going to guarantee to make him so much more interested, now that he has stopped looking at you.

Are you trying to make this more complicated on purpose?
Reply 42
Yeah, that's what I've heard from a lot of people on this thread, which was something that I did not realise, because he appears confident otherwise.
If your judging solely from the look on his face then beware every guy's face reflects that hes confident.
Original post by matt_g96
Maybe you are really pretty :confused:. I don't know, ask him to hang out some time.

I don't have the confidence to ask him outright to hang out, having never spoken to him before, that's the issue.

I hope he just speaks to me!!
Original post by Enoxial
You have learnt well young one :tongue:

:P

Thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by Elcano
Yeah, because girls can't say anything, that's well-known... or what's the logic behind that?

Oh yeah, a marvellous idea. That's going to guarantee to make him so much more interested, now that he has stopped looking at you.

Are you trying to make this more complicated on purpose?

I just have this idea, that the guy should make the first move, which some people have mentioned may be wrong.

No most definitely not, I want to talk to him ASAP.
Original post by Enoxial
If your judging solely from the look on his face then beware every guy's face reflects that hes confident.

Oh right...yeah I'm judging this by the look on his face, so maybe he is quite shy when it comes to girls that he finds attractive.

I guess it's the same with girls...we are always concious of what we say around people we like, but around guys who are just friends, I don't think we care.
Reply 47
I just have this idea, that the guy should make the first move, which some people have mentioned may be wrong.

No most definitely not, I want to talk to him ASAP.

I've always found it kind of convenient for girls that they just expect the guy to make the first move... even when he doesn't know that they're expecting him to do that. So he doesn't, and then they try the 'hard to get' strategy... which is going to do what? Exactly, put him off, if he was thinking about trying at all.

I know the first move is hard, and I can't really suggest a recipe as it depends mainly on the situation at hand. But waiting is not going to work, I can tell you that from experience.
Reply 48
Oh right...yeah I'm judging this by the look on his face, so maybe he is quite shy when it comes to girls that he finds attractive. I guess it's the same with girls...we are always concious of what we say around people we like, but around guys who are just friends, I don't think we care.
Its a big dilemma with guys because its hard to judge whether the girls wants us to start the convo or she isn't interested.
When you stare at him I bet he would be thinking 'Is she looking at me? No it must be XYZ person sitting next to me'
Original post by Elcano
I've always found it kind of convenient for girls that they just expect the guy to make the first move... even when he doesn't know that they're expecting him to do that. So he doesn't, and then they try the 'hard to get' strategy... which is going to do what? Exactly, put him off, if he was thinking about trying at all.

I know the first move is hard, and I can't really suggest a recipe as it depends mainly on the situation at hand. But waiting is not going to work, I can tell you that from experience.

What you said in the first paragraph does make sense actually...but rather than speak to him outright, I will try and bump into him or get a mutual friend to introduce us to each other, or meet him at a social event or sit near him at the library or by the computers, so if he needs to ask me about say about printing a sheet off, it would be a generic question about the course and then could get chatting; I would much prefer that than go up to him straight.
Original post by Enoxial
Its a big dilemma with guys because its hard to judge whether the girls wants us to start the convo or she isn't interested.
When you stare at him I bet he would be thinking 'Is she looking at me? No it must be XYZ person sitting next to me'

I never really thought about it like that initially; I just thought, oh they've got the message that I like them too, but now I can think of it from another perspective.

But the thing is, there were a few times when we looked at each other, eye to eye, so I'm sure he knows I was looking at him, rather than someone else.

I will carry on sitting nearish to him in lectures, where possible, and also try to meet at socials or even the library or computers, where if he needed to ask someone on the course a question, her could ask me.
GROW SOME BALLS WOMAN AND ASK THE DUDE!

:wink: mucha' love x
Reply 52
try hitting him
Reply 53
I never really thought about it like that initially; I just thought, oh they've got the message that I like them too, but now I can think of it from another perspective.

But the thing is, there were a few times when we looked at each other, eye to eye, so I'm sure he knows I was looking at him, rather than someone else.

I will carry on sitting nearish to him in lectures, where possible, and also try to meet at socials or even the library or computers, where if he needed to ask someone on the course a question, her could ask me.

Well, that's a good start. But I guess that's not enough. It might take a long time for you to finally get to know each other. My suggestion is, just try to treat him as a normal boy and try to talk to him, maybe with your good friends at present, try to show you're an extroverted girl and show him you make friends with a lot of people, not only him, so that he won't have the feeling to be so admired by some girl. But he would surely appreciate you if you made the first move. Maybe during your acquaintance you get to know more about each other and you might become good friends, couples, whatever. Just break the ice and you will find real acquaintance is for more exciting than just dreaming in the mind. So why not have a try?

Good luck!💘

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
what you need is a drunken club encounter with him while you're both drunk. that way you can sort out the tension between you both and finally speak to one another and say what you've both been thinking for the past week or so

ahhh, the typical british way of pulling. play games and screw each other's minds until you're both drunk and get it on :tongue:
Christ, this thread is giving me an aneurism. If you want something, go and bloody get it. Who gives a **** about looking foolish for a few seconds? Life's too short.

To paraphrase an earlier comment - grow some goddamn lady balls and get whatever the hell it is you want from life. Jeez.

:facepalm: :getmecoat:
Reply 56
This 'boy' - it isn't me is it? lol. The scenario you describe above describes me and this girl last year (I also stopped looking at her even though she was in my mind like 24/7). I really loved (still do) but now we're both at uni and we'll never see each other. I'd take my chances, if you don't see this guy anywhere else apart from lectures, making the first move is a must. But if you don't this guy sums it up pretty well:
Original post by DannyYYYY
Sounds like he's shy. Two options;

1) Make the first move.
2) Don't and forever wonder if he feels the same way.
Original post by Sazh
This 'boy' - it isn't me is it? lol. The scenario you describe above describes me and this girl last year (I also stopped looking at her even though she was in my mind like 24/7). I really loved (still do) but now we're both at uni and we'll never see each other. I'd take my chances, if you don't see this guy anywhere else apart from lectures, making the first move is a must. But if you don't this guy sums it up pretty well:

I'm sorry, it can't be you because I am in first year and I went to an all girls' school aha.

I'd like to ask you, as a boy, why you stopped looking at her? Did you get too embarrassed?

Appreciate this. Thank you :smile:
Reply 58
Thank you for your reply, but I feel like the guy should make the first move. Others have said that I a wrong in thinking this.

Bit of a sexist assumption. Alright then, your loss when he doesn't make a move and you're left wondering what could have been.
Original post by voodoochild
GROW SOME BALLS WOMAN AND ASK THE DUDE!

:wink: mucha' love x

Aww thank you for your reply; I will try and 'grow some balls' haha; I just really wish he would start a conversation, but I bet he's too embarrassed now. Now I'd prefer it if we got introduced by someone, whether that be during lectures or at a social event or if we somehow bump into each other and then just get talking.

Quick Reply