The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TenOfThem
Why are you incapable of saying

"I was wrong"

I have been repeating over and over again that yes, I did a mistake as I forgot the plus.

Do you really think I'm too stupid to realise that plus over minus gives you minus and not plus? :confused:
Original post by Elcano
I have been repeating over and over again that yes, I did a mistake as I forgot the plus.

Do you really think I'm too stupid to realise that plus over minus gives you minus and not plus? :confused:

No, I think that you are too stubborn to accept that you were simply wrong and that the argument you were having is pointless
Reply 82
Stop it guys! Stop arguing guys, just get over yourselves! You're all wrong, I asked my maths teacher again (the one with the pHD) and he laughed at all of you, and he said that I'm right and you're wrong :unimpressed:
Reply 83
Original post by tazmaniac97
Stop it guys! Stop arguing guys, just get over yourselves! You're all wrong, I asked my maths teacher again (the one with the pHD) and he laughed at all of you, and he said that I'm right and you're wrong :unimpressed:

Which area of media studies is his PhD in?
Reply 84
Original post by TenOfThem
No, I think that you are too stubborn to accept that you were simply wrong and that the argument you were having is pointless

I wasn't 'simply wrong'. I forgot a plus. That's it. Apparently it pleases some people to keep going on and on about it, though.

No, 13/0 is not infinity. No matter what he tells you.
Reply 85
Original post by Elcano
I wasn't 'simply wrong'. I forgot a plus. That's it. Apparently it pleases some people to keep going on and on about it, though.

Yeah, most of all you. :lol:
Reply 86
Original post by Noble.
Which area of media studies is his PhD in?

It's in mathematics :smile:
Reply 87
It's in mathematics :smile:

Very unlikely. It's about as likely as me being Chief Rabbi, and I'm not even Jewish.
The only people who would think it does are Physicists and other crazies.
Reply 89
Original post by Noble.
Very unlikely. It's about as likely as me being Chief Rabbi, and I'm not even Jewish.

Well he does, so Shalom rabbi
Reply 90
Original post by sugar-n-spice
The only people who would think it does are Physicists and other crazies.

Well physicists are very smart, so :bigsmile:
if 13/0 = inifinity then 13 = infinity x 0
Which is obviously wrong

Also
if 13/0 = inifinity
and, say, 2/0 = inifinity

then 13/0 = 2/0
13 = 2
Which again, is obviously wrong.
Anything divided by 0 is undefined.

Yeah but their thinking is like oh you can take 0 out of 13 any number of times you want so 13/0 must be infinity.

Another way of thinking about it, is if 13/0 equals infinity, then zero times infinity is 13, which is full-retard, especially considering how you could do the same with say 11/0 then use that to prove all kinds of crazy like 13=11.

:eek:

So just don't do it :colondollar:
It's like asking how many zeros are there in 13 - it could be any number (or no number). It's undefined. Granted if you were to divide by something infinitely small, the resulting fraction would be infinitely big (but would always be defined)
Reply 94

So is Richard Dawkins, doesn't mean I'd listen to his opinion on something mathematical over a mathematician. How about we leave the physicists to their Van de Graaffs and potato batteries and leave the mathematics to the mathematicians. Failing that, perhaps we should get the opinion of an intelligent pastry chef on this matter as well?
Reply 95
Original post by Noble.
So is Richard Dawkins, doesn't mean I'd listen to his opinion on something mathematical over a mathematician. How about we leave the physicists to their Van de Graaffs and potato batteries and leave the mathematics to the mathematicians. Failing that, perhaps we should get the opinion of an intelligent pastry chef on this matter as well?

Well what would a pastry chef know about this, physics has a lot of maths :unimpressed:
Reply 96
In terms of real world application (theoretical modeling), we can take n/infinity to be 0, though - right? It's only logical, surely.
I understand the implications in pure maths, though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
Well what would a pastry chef know about this, physics has a lot of maths :unimpressed:

Yes, but generally not an appreciation of analysis. Although, having said that, it would be rather embarrassing for a physicist to believe that 130=\frac{13}{0} = \infty. You've had it explained to you numerous times in this thread, but that hasn't convinced you either because you're too stupid to understand or you just enjoy being a monumental pain in the arse.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
In terms of real world application (theoretical modeling), we can take n/infinity to be 0, though - right? It's only logical, surely.
I understand the implications in pure maths, though.

Economists use n / infinity to be equal to zero when evaluating probability distributions :yep:
Reply 99
Original post by Noble.
Yes, but generally not an appreciation of analysis. Although, having said that, it would be rather embarrassing for a physicist to believe that 130=\frac{13}{0} = \infty. You've had it explained to you numerous times in this thread, but that hasn't convinced you either because you're too stupid to understand or you just enjoy being a monumental pain in the arse.

Don't you think monumental's a bit of a harsh word to use :ashamed2::cry2:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest