The Student Room Group

Guys: Do you ever notice how non-Western women treat you so much better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by the mezzil
Universities are not made up primarily of white, middle class females. Or am I blind?

The majority of the female population at a university will likely be white, given our country's numbers.

And the middle-class are more likely to attend university than the working class.

It's not exactly difficult to work out.

Male students obviously aren't going to join feminist societies, either.
If you put as much effort into combatting AIDS and child marriages, rather than trying to ban songs and the exposure of flesh in a newspaper, we might actually be getting somewhere. But we aren't.

I think the demographic does matter, its called diversity.

That's exactly my point! Although I'm of the belief that one can focus on more than one cause at a time, and that campaigning for one cause doesn't mean you'd do much for any others.

I just think that diversity should be achieved by equal opportunities/encouragements, which there are. If the African or Arabian or Filipino girls don't want to join, there's not much you can do about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 142
Original post by Alpha brah
I actually am an Asian girl (though I change gender on here sometimes for the lulz :tongue:), I certainly wouldn't date anyone who wanted me to be his submissive, abused little sex toy, fetishized me as being some weird overly feminine housewife thing due to my race and kept banging on about those Evil Liberated Feminists.

Any guy who seems to hate strong independent women - even if it isn't his cup of tea regarding who he dates - rings alarm bells in my head.

Exactly. I don't think there's any problem with not being that kind of girl, or even preferring people more on the introverted side; it's the strong aversion to a woman showing independence, willpower or anything other than a hospitable, almost subservient attitude that infuriates me. You have to wonder why exactly decisiveness and strength in a woman is so threatening to some men, and why they have a need for women to be submissive around them...

:afraid: I get a little nauseated when I read about how some guys perceive Asian women, and I'm white. It must be awful to come across attitudes and stereotypes of who you are like that.
Original post by IlexBlue
The majority of the female population at a university will likely be white, given our country's numbers.

And the middle-class are more likely to attend university than the working class.

It's not exactly difficult to work out.

Male students obviously aren't going to join feminist societies, either.

Over 50% yes, but I would not go as far as saying 90% as somebody previously said.

Anyway, not everyone at university is middle class, yes the middle class are more likely to go university, but that does not make them the majority demographic in the university. & why do you think males would not want to join feminist societies, the same with arab women, Chinese, Indian etc etc........ Is it because feminism has failed, and no longer serves a purpose? Is it because it is controlled by the white middle class females, who act only in their own selfish interests (see no more page 3 group).

Is it because they are racist? as well as sexist? Yes. How many feminist societies do campaigns against the Burka/ or stoning of women in Iran, compared to the amount of "no more page 3" campaigns?

Do you see petitions "stop child marriages" or "action on pedo gangs"? No, you see "ban the sun".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 144
If you put as much effort into combatting AIDS and child marriages, rather than trying to ban songs and the exposure of flesh in a newspaper, we might actually be getting somewhere. But we aren't.

I think the demographic does matter, its called diversity.

See, this is the fundamental problem with guys and feminism.

You're a man. You haven't lived a single day in the life of a woman, and you haven't experienced what it's like to be treated as one. What seems like tiny, trifling, insignificant problems to you - especially if you're trying to compare it to SA - are daily issues we constantly have to face and think about, that combine into an altogether bigger problem/ attitude that again you do not see or go through.

Just because we aren't being stoned in the street doesn't mean there aren't problems to be addressed.

It's like people campaigning for awareness of suicide/ depression. Hey, there are people dying! Of cancer! If you put all that effort into fighting cancer, just think of what you could do! What are you fighting depression for?

It's silly, it's childish, and it doesn't automatically mean we have to "put up and shut up" because we're not in the Middle East.
Original post by Sheldor
That's exactly my point! Although I'm of the belief that one can focus on more than one cause at a time, and that campaigning for one cause doesn't mean you'd do much for any others.

I just think that diversity should be achieved by equal opportunities/encouragements, which there are. If the African or Arabian or Filipino girls don't want to join, there's not much you can do about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, what campaigns has you feminist society currently got going?

Persuade me.

You're a man. You haven't lived a single day in the life of a woman, and you haven't experienced what it's like to be treated as one. What seems like tiny, trifling, insignificant problems to you - especially if you're trying to compare it to SA - are daily issues we constantly have to face and think about, that combine into an altogether bigger problem/ attitude that again you do not see or go through.

Just because we aren't being stoned in the street doesn't mean there aren't problems to be addressed.

It's like people campaigning for awareness of suicide/ depression. Hey, there are people dying! Of cancer! If you put all that effort into fighting cancer, just think of what you could do! What are you fighting depression for?

It's silly, it's childish, and it doesn't automatically mean we have to "put up and shut up" because we're not in the Middle East.

This. Why do people think caring about being treated like an object here means I don't care about women suffering in Saudi Arabia? Of course I do. But just because it's not as bad here, doesn't mean there aren't problems. It's akin to saying to someone in poverty here "shut up, you should be thankful you're not born in the slums of Iran!!!". Well obviously they're better off than that but it doesn't mean they don't have problems
Reply 147
Over 50% yes, but I would not go as far as saying 90% as somebody previously said.

Anyway, not everyone at university is middle class, yes the middle class are more likely to go university, but that does not make them the majority demographic in the university. & why do you think males would not want to join feminist societies, the same with arab women, Chinese, Indian etc etc........ Is it because feminism has failed, and no longer serves a purpose? Is it because it is controlled by the white middle class females, who act only in their own selfish interests (see no more page 3 group).

Is it because they are racist? as well as sexist? Yes. How many feminist societies do campaigns against the Burka/ or stoning of women in Iran, compared to the amount of "no more page 3" campaigns?

Do you see petitions "stop child marriages" or "action on pedo gangs"? No, you see "ban the sun".

Men would not want to join societies because they think like the men on TSR. Incapable of seeing beyond themselves and acknowledging where they have certain privilege.

Unless we can pull some official statistics, the demographic debate is a moot point. You can only make ill-informed guesses made to support your own argument.

"Feminism no longer has a purpose..." Only from a man, honestly.

What campaigns at the moment is your feminist society currently running? I'm not saying we have equality in Britain, we don't, but I think there is much bigger problems elsewhere that need to be addressed immediately.

Votes for women in Saudi Arabia or Blurred lines? Hmmmmm... Which requires more effort and support?

So, what campaigns at the moment is your feminist society currently running?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
This. Why do people think caring about being treated like an object here means I don't care about women suffering in Saudi Arabia? Of course I do. But just because it's not as bad here, doesn't mean there aren't problems. It's akin to saying to someone in poverty here "shut up, you should be thankful you're not born in the slums of Iran!!!". Well obviously they're better off than that but it doesn't mean they don't have problems

What are the main problems facing middle class white women in Britain?
Men would not want to join societies because they think like the men on TSR. Incapable of seeing beyond themselves and acknowledging where they have certain privilege.

Unless we can pull some official statistics, the demographic debate is a moot point. You can only make ill-informed guesses made to support your own argument.

Or maybe Men have realised that becoming a feminist is akin to becoming a Black Republican - i.e. it serves no purpose whatsoever and is counterproductive. That's because Western feminism has turned into a desire to control men, and has lost anything to do with "equal rights" and has just turned into female supremacism and hypocrisy.
Original post by darius12345
What are the main problems facing middle class white women in Britain?

Having gender roles still in place
Having gender roles still in place

What exactly does this mean?

Rather than derail this argument, lets focus on women. I understand that men do have some privileges, likewise for women, in this country, and each have their problems. But as I said, I believe very strongly, that although Blurred lines may be a bit of a ****ty song, I think it is stupid that feminists focus their attention on **** like that, rather than kids in Nairobi being forced to marry at 12. No, not stupid, selfish and racist. It's like "oh I'm white, I am more important than a 12 year old black kid, so lets focus on banning blurred lines" - I say this as a white person.

I'm not going to go trawling through google to find some random news article from 2009, I have better things to do. It is not a moot point, and you know it.
Original post by darius12345
What exactly does this mean?

Being expected to act a certain way because someone is a certain gender. I'll give you some examples

1) Men thinking it's okay to catcall women
2) Women always getting custody in court, because obviously women are the best gentle feminine mothers?
3) When in a debate, a woman's looks are ALWAYS bought up. The reverse never happens for men
4) The law that states a woman can't rape a man. Because obviously women are passive in the act of sex right?

I could go on. These issues actually make it harder for men as well so it's in everyone's interest

I see you complaining more about British women's problems, rather than international women's problems. If you care, show it, don't bang on about small crap. Maybe then, I and others might actually take you seriously for once.

Women have problems in Britain, only a retard would say otherwise, but they are by no means more significant that the **** that goes down in Iran.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 156
:facepalm:
I see you complaining more about British women's problems, rather than international women's problems. If you care, show it, don't bang on about small crap. Maybe then, I and others might actually take you seriously for once.

Women have problems in Britain, only a retard would say otherwise, but they are by no means more significant that the **** that goes down in Iran.

They're not as bad as in other places, but I don't have to put up with injustices happening just because some people have it worse. We don't have to wait for Iran to get fixed before complaining about our own problems
Okay, what campaigns has you feminist society currently got going?

Persuade me.

I don't belong to any feminist societies currently. (I'm still in secondary school, I just live near a university.) I donate to charity and have done some amnesty international stuff though.

Well, look at it this way, for example (note that this is an analogy and not a comparison!)- you have a group of students who like football and start a society to raise money for the local club. The university is Engineering based, so they have less girls, but they hand out leaflets to girls and encourage girls to join. Despite this, not many girls join, partly because there are less of them, and partly because less of them are interested in the club. Some of the girls have relatives who work for the club and the club is important for the local economy, but many don't realise this importance and don't join the society because they see no need to actively change things for the club due to the culture surrounding football they've grown up with.

This is the same for many ethnic minorities who may not join feminist societies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're not as bad as in other places, but I don't have to put up with injustices happening just because some people have it worse. We don't have to wait for Iran to get fixed before complaining about our own problems

No, and you shouldn't put up with sexism, I agree, but lets put this into perspective.

Stoning women in for adultery is a far more significant issue than page 3.

Why is it then, that feminists choose to focus on page 3 http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/i/36117/ rather than this http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/06/watch-as-self-described-normal-muslims-show-support-for-stoning-adulterers-and-other-punishment-described-in-the-koran/

Where the **** is the 100 000 petition? Nowhere. Pathetic, and it really pisses me off and makes me angry.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest