The Student Room Group

Taking limits

I would like if someone could explain to me (or link me to) some decently rigorous procedures for taking the limits of functions in some simple cases.

I am mainly interested in taking the limits of x -> 0 and x -> infinity for the following cases:

(Let us define any g(x) or h(x) below as a polynomial, and the total function f(x) being the function I want to take the limit for:smile:

First priority is the case f(x)=g(x)/h(x). Then there is f(x)=eg(x)*h(x), followed by f(x)=ln(g(x))*h(x).

I have seen L'Hopital's Rule but that doesn't actually explain how to take the limit, only how to simplify the expression which you want to take the limit of.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by Big-Daddy
I would like if someone could explain to me (or link me to) some decently rigorous procedures for taking the limits of functions in some simple cases.

I am mainly interested in taking the limits of x -> 0 and x -> infinity for the following cases:

(Let us define any g(x) or h(x) below as a polynomial, and the total function f(x) being the function I want to take the limit for:smile:

First priority is the case f(x)=g(x)/h(x). Then there is f(x)=eg(x)*h(x), followed by f(x)=ln(g(x))*h(x).

I have seen L'Hopital's Rule but that doesn't actually explain how to take the limit, only how to simplify the expression which you want to take the limit of.

If h(x) and g(x) are polynomials then for limit as x tends to zero, just put x=0 and see what you get. For example LImitx2x2x32x2+3=23=23\frac{x^2-x-2}{x^3-2x^2+3}=\frac{-2}{3}=-\frac{2}{3}

For x tends to infinity, If h(x) is of degree n and g(x) is of degree m then divide top and bottom by xk x^k where k is the smaller of n and m, and use the fact that 1xn \frac{1}{x^n} tends to zero for any positive integer n
For example LImit
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{x^2-x-2}{x^3-2x^2+3}=\frac{1-\frac{1}{x}-\frac{2}{x^2}}{x-2+\frac{3}{x^2}} \mathrm\[\ which \ tends\ to\ }\frac{1}{x-2)

so limit will be zero
Reply 2
Original post by brianeverit
If h(x) and g(x) are polynomials then for limit as x tends to zero, just put x=0 and see what you get. For example LImitx2x2x32x2+3=23=23\frac{x^2-x-2}{x^3-2x^2+3}=\frac{-2}{3}=-\frac{2}{3}

Thanks. So the limit will be the ratio of the terms in the numerator to the denominator which do not include x to any degree (except 0).

For x tends to infinity, If h(x) is of degree n and g(x) is of degree m then divide top and bottom by xk x^k where k is the smaller of n and m, and use the fact that 1xn \frac{1}{x^n} tends to zero for any positive integer n
For example LImit
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{x^2-x-2}{x^3-2x^2+3}=\frac{1-\frac{1}{x}-\frac{2}{x^2}}{x-2+\frac{3}{x^2}} \mathrm\[\ which \ tends\ to\ }\frac{1}{x-2)

so limit will be zero

I've had an idea: how about dividing by x^k where k is the larger of n and m, and then setting to infinity, so that any terms in the numerator or denominator each which do not contain x^k will go immediately to 0, but if you have an ax^k term in the numerator and bx^k in the denominator you will end up with a/b being the limit?

Meanwhile if the numerator has the larger of n and m, then the expression will go to infinity, whereas if the denominator has the larger of n and m it will go to 0. Am I correct here?

If so, could we move on - how do we evaluate something like the limits to 0 or infinity of f(x)=eg(x)*h(x)?
Reply 3

Firstly, lim(f(x)/g(x)) is limf(x)/limg(x)

Also, lim[f(x)g(x)] is limf(x)*limg(x)

This is known as the product and quotient rule for limits. The proof is an epsilon-delta proof.

if you have lim[e^g(x)] = e^limg(x)
Reply 4
Thanks. So the limit will be the ratio of the terms in the numerator to the denominator which do not include x to any degree (except 0).

I've had an idea: how about dividing by x^k where k is the larger of n and m, and then setting to infinity, so that any terms in the numerator or denominator each which do not contain x^k will go immediately to 0, but if you have an ax^k term in the numerator and bx^k in the denominator you will end up with a/b being the limit?

Meanwhile if the numerator has the larger of n and m, then the expression will go to infinity, whereas if the denominator has the larger of n and m it will go to 0. Am I correct here?

If so, could we move on - how do we evaluate something like the limits to 0 or infinity of f(x)=eg(x)*h(x)?

For the limit as x goes to zero, note that polynomials and e^x are continuous functions, so you can just plug in x=0 to get the limit as h(0)e^g(0).

For the limit at infinity, perhaps use that g(x) and h(x) must go to either infinity or -infinity as x grows (depending in the sign of the leading term). This gives you four cases which are fairly straightforward to deal with.

I'm not really sure how much rigour you're after though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes

Yes

For eg(x)h(x)e^{g(x)}h(x) If x tends to zero then this expression will tend to aeb ae^b where a and b are the constant terms in h(x) and g(x) respectively. It will pretty obviously tend to infinity as x tends to infinity.
Reply 6
For eg(x)h(x)e^{g(x)}h(x) If x tends to zero then this expression will tend to aeb ae^b where a and b are the constant terms in h(x) and g(x) respectively.

Ok so once again simply substituting in x=0.

It will pretty obviously tend to infinity as x tends to infinity

I'm not so sure. What if the coefficients are competing - keep in mind that in the polynomials, e.g. ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, any coefficient a,b,c,d can be negative as well as positive...
Ok so once again simply substituting in x=0.

I'm not so sure. What if the coefficients are competing - keep in mind that in the polynomials, e.g. ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, any coefficient a,b,c,d can be negative as well as positive...

Well of course it could tend to negative infinity
Reply 8
Well of course it could tend to negative infinity

Or to 0, if the polynomial raised to the exponential overpowers the non-raised polynomial. And perhaps these are not the only possibilities. How should we go about evaluating it?
Or to 0, if the polynomial raised to the exponential overpowers the non-raised polynomial. And perhaps these are not the only possibilities. How should we go about evaluating it?

Of course, if g(x) tends to negative infinity..
Similarly with ln(g(x)*h(x) , ln(g(x) tends to positive infinity as x does, but negative infinity as x tends to zero, h(x) tends to + or - infinity as x does dependng on the sign attached top the highest power of x and to the term independent of x if x tends to zero.
Reply 10
Of course, if g(x) tends to negative infinity..
Similarly with ln(g(x)*h(x) , ln(g(x) tends to positive infinity as x does, but negative infinity as x tends to zero, h(x) tends to + or - infinity as x does dependng on the sign attached top the highest power of x and to the term independent of x if x tends to zero.

Ok so then let's summarize these rules for exp and ln functions:

e^(g(x))*(h(x))

If the coefficient on the highest-degree term in g(x) is positive, and on h(x) is positive, the limit to infinity will be infinity; if the former is positive but the latter negative, the limit to infinity will be -infinity; if the former is negative, then regardless of the sign on the latter, the limit will be 0.

The limit to 0 can be found by substituting x=0 into the function.

ln(g(x))*h(x)

If the coefficient on the highest-degree term in h(x) is positive, the limit to infinity will be infinity; if it is negative, the limit will be -infinity. i.e. g(x) does not matter here with regards to the infinite limit.

The x->0 limit is harder for this case. If there are terms without x, then ln(a)*b where a is the term without x in g(x) and b is the term without x in h(x) seems to be the infinite limit, achieved just by plugging in x=0. If there is no term a then perhaps we get ln(0)*b=-infinity as the limit to 0; if there is no term b then we get ln(a)*0=0. If there is neither a nor b then we get ln(0)*0 and I think this would come to 0.

Are these all right?
Ok so then let's summarize these rules for exp and ln functions:

e^(g(x))*(h(x))

If the coefficient on the highest-degree term in g(x) is positive, and on h(x) is positive, the limit to infinity will be infinity; if the former is positive but the latter negative, the limit to infinity will be -infinity; if the former is negative, then regardless of the sign on the latter, the limit will be 0.

The limit to 0 can be found by substituting x=0 into the function.

ln(g(x))*h(x)

If the coefficient on the highest-degree term in h(x) is positive, the limit to infinity will be infinity; if it is negative, the limit will be -infinity. i.e. g(x) does not matter here with regards to the infinite limit.

The x->0 limit is harder for this case. If there are terms without x, then ln(a)*b where a is the term without x in g(x) and b is the term without x in h(x) seems to be the infinite limit, achieved just by plugging in x=0. If there is no term a then perhaps we get ln(0)*b=-infinity as the limit to 0; if there is no term b then we get ln(a)*0=0. If there is neither a nor b then we get ln(0)*0 and I think this would come to 0.

Are these all right?

I think so.

Quick Reply

Latest