The Student Room Group

I just threw a plate at my dad. In shock.

Scroll to see replies

The fact that you have so much remorse and genuinely are upset by your actions and their consequences shows that you're a good person! :smile: many people would accept their parents apologies and move on, yet you show that you genuinely care

even the best people do mistakes, and trust me this isn't a very big mistake.

TALK TO YOUR PARENTS about how you feel about it, they'll be delighted by your maturity, keep your head up high because you're a good guy!
Reply 21
Don't feel too bad about it OP, everyone occasionally loses their temper and lashes out a bit. If you felt good about it afterwards that would be cause for concern but you don't. My mum once launched a pair of cooking tongs at me during an argument (alright, not quite a plate) and she's not a bad person, I had just wound her up and she lost her temper.
lol my dad would have knocked me out literally. I punched him in the mouth once (he was yelling at me and had me cornered in a threatening way) So he grabbed hold of me, threw me against the wall and started hitting me hard round the head, then shook me..i think:K: All I heard was 'do that again and bang you one you won't know where the **** you are stupid little bastard'. My mum was the one who caused the argument in the first place and then started pulling him off me telling him to stop. I dont really speak to him anymore, he thinks its because im afraid of him/respect him but truth is I cant stand him lol.
Something about this story doesn't ring true.
Original post by inthedark1
lol my dad would have knocked me out literally. I punched him in the mouth once (he was yelling at me and had me cornered in a threatening way) So he grabbed hold of me, threw me against the wall and started hitting me hard round the head, then shook me..i think:K: All I heard was 'do that again and bang you one you won't know where the **** you are stupid little bastard'. My mum was the one who caused the argument in the first place and then started pulling him off me telling him to stop. I dont really speak to him anymore, he thinks its because im afraid of him/respect him but truth is I cant stand him lol.

:eek: Your dad sounds like a right ass.
Reply 25
Original post by Autistic Merit
Something about this story doesn't ring true.

My story? Please explain why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
My story? Please explain why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't sound like it's true.
Reply 27
Original post by Autistic Merit
It doesn't sound like it's true.

I get that you thought that. I meant more like why you don't think it's true? I dunno why I would lie about something like that on a forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your reactions seem so out of proportion considering the situation.

Your parents will remember this, unfortunately.

If you feel a similar incident (or indeed feelings) stir up again, you cmight have deeper issues and it wouldn't be a bad idea to see a counsellor.
Reply 29
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Your reactions seem so out of proportion considering the situation.

Your parents will remember this, unfortunately.

If you feel a similar incident (or indeed feelings) stir up again, you cmight have deeper issues and it wouldn't be a bad idea to see a counsellor.

Well my dad's reactions were really out of proportion at the time too, and when I tried to shout back and I couldn't get loud enough I just found myself reacting physically instead. I'm not saying it wasn't my fault, I'm just saying if my dad hadn't reacted how he did about something so trivial, I wouldn't have gotten so angry.

Yeah if it happens again I'll defo see someone. The worst I've ever done in the past was rip up an important letter. That was because of my dad again, but at least it wasn't physical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just try to forget about it and try and be more controlled in future. If I'd read this 6 months ago I'd have told you to sort your self out and get a bit of self control, but recently I've been quite stressed and I've found it terrifyingly easy to lash out without meaning to. As long as you're not making a conscious decision to try and hurt others then it's not too much of a problem, you just need to try and tame it. :smile:
Ohmidays OP. If I even contemplated throwing anything at my dad let alone a pate I would have been dead meat. Lol this wasn't really helpful but I am genuinely shocked.

I don't know your relationship with your father but perhaps you can do something nice for him for the next few days just to show him that you're really sorry?
Well my dad's reactions were really out of proportion at the time too, and when I tried to shout back and I couldn't get loud enough I just found myself reacting physically instead. I'm not saying it wasn't my fault, I'm just saying if my dad hadn't reacted how he did about something so trivial, I wouldn't have gotten so angry.

Yeah if it happens again I'll defo see someone. The worst I've ever done in the past was rip up an important letter. That was because of my dad again, but at least it wasn't physical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you have some long standing thing going on with your Dad?

I understand your Dad shouting at you may have been out of proportion, but you actually got violent.

Some of the posters here are saying "its no big deal , its not so bad", but they are kinda delusional. Its always a big deal when someone gets violent.

If a bf threw a plate at their gf, id love to know if these same posters would say it isnt a big deal.

Im not saying you should go hang yourself for this mistake, im just saying you may need to acknowledge you have a problem. May.

My advice would be to try to talk it through with your parents. Explain to them you dont know what happened or why you lost control, and you're sorry. Actually, i think you already did this...so thats all cool.

Keep your chin up and keep smiling. You'll work this out.
Reply 33
Me and my dad were having an argument, over what doesn't seem important now.

It should be 'My dad and I'.
Reply 34
My dad would have cut me with the pieces of glass if I'd ever pulled a stunt like that. I guess some kids have no self-respect or have never been taught how to behave like a normal person. :rolleyes:
Reply 35
everybody loses their **** sometimes m8. don't sweat it. there are two types of person: one throws plates, the other type breaks down and gives up. type A > type B.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Chukkeigh
Ohmidays OP. If I even contemplated throwing anything at my dad let alone a pate I would have been dead meat. Lol this wasn't really helpful but I am genuinely shocked.

I don't know your relationship with your father but perhaps you can do something nice for him for the next few days just to show him that you're really sorry?

I bought him some beers the next day. He said thanks and said he should let me throw plates at him more...so I'm glad he's cracking jokes and seems ok with stuff, but it doesn't mean I am. I don't think I'd ever want to laugh about it like my parents are!

Rang my grandma to tell her about it because I'd rather she heard from me than my parents. She knows what's been going down at my house and she wasn't surprised and said he/they had it coming with the way they've been with me. Sort of shocked me even more, that she had such a blase approach to what I'd told her...
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm just in total shock right now. I'm shaking and can't stop crying. Me and my dad were having an argument, over what doesn't seem important now. If there's anyone that knows how to make me angry it's my dad, anyway he started yelling and I was holding a fork and plate, and I just threw it across the room and it hit him. It smashed but didn't hurt him.

Immediately afterwards I just couldn't believe what I'd done. I sat there just shocked at what I'd done and just kept saying I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that. My dad got angry, and both my parents walked out. I went outside to sit in my car for an hour. Came back in, my parents hugged me and said it was okay. But it's not okay. I threw a plate at someone in anger, and I had no control over it, it just happened like someone took over me. I'm really scared and feel really ashamed. I feel awful. I just want to run away and stay somewhere else.

I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm just in total shock that I did something like that. I get angry sometimes, sure, but nothing like that. I'm worried, and feel so ashamed.

I suppose you're a gentle soul and that's good, but calm down a bit, your parents could clearly see how angry you were at the time even if it seems silly to you now. You can't remember how you felt as accurately as they remember how you were acting. It's happened at home endless times, i threw a plate at my dad, a cat even (i, too, cried for ages into the fur of my dear cat), and my sister only last week smashed a ceramic bowl on my head except i had to get stitches on my temple :rolleyes: Just to say that you shouldn't worry too much about it, your parents are clearly understanding towards this and seem to know that they're the reason for your anger. Obviously it's bad behavior and seems out of your nature. Do you feel ashamed because it feels cruel or disrespectful, or you didn't know you had it in you or what specifically?
Hope you feel better soon
You're lucky you have understanding parents! If I ever threw a plate at my mother she would probably kill me. Or at least throw me out. We all do silly things when we're angry. I once kicked a wall so hard my toe turned black and I passed out, just because I was pissed off at my brother.
The impact would probably hurt more if it didn't smash than if it did, tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending