Warwick Biochemistry offers 2014

Anyone else got an offer for biochem? :biggrin:
Reply 1
Yes!! :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Congrats guys. I'm a first year Biomed student at Warwick. All the life science courses share the same core modules in the first year (although Biochem have a few extra bits like Organic Chemistry and Chem labs). I can try to answer any questions you might have.
Reply 3
Original post by Meepsy
Yes!! :biggrin:

Awesome! :cool:, What other unis are you waiting for? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lethorio
Congrats guys. I'm a first year Biomed student at Warwick. All the life science courses share the same core modules in the first year (although Biochem have a few extra bits like Organic Chemistry and Chem labs). I can try to answer any questions you might have.

1) How hard is the course? Would it be easy to get sa 2.1/1st class if you are naturally good at Chem/Bio?

2) How is the social life at the uni? Is your accomodation paired up with class mates?

3) Can you choose to take other modules on the side? Like an extra thing ontop of your degree in biochem? (e.g: managment, finance modules etc.)(I know it seems unrelated).
Reply 5
Original post by !comoestas!
1) How hard is the course? Would it be easy to get sa 2.1/1st class if you are naturally good at Chem/Bio?

2) How is the social life at the uni? Is your accomodation paired up with class mates?

3) Can you choose to take other modules on the side? Like an extra thing ontop of your degree in biochem? (e.g: managment, finance modules etc.)(I know it seems unrelated).

I'm finding it quite challenging so far. This is most likely due to the fact that I have no background in Chemistry, so I'm doing the mandatory Chemistry for Biological Sciences module. The first term is very biochemistry based for all of the life science streams. We have work for tutorials each week on top of a weekly lab report and tests every 3-4 weeks. I definitely have a lot more work than a lot of people living on my floor.

The social life is far better than people seem to think it is. The nightlife on campus is decent, with The Copper Rooms (club) and Terrace Bar. You can get the Uni Express to Kasbah in Coventry for £8 or to Gatecrasher in Birmingham for £15 (includes queue jump, coach there and back and entry).

I got to choose optional modules as I'm doing Biomed. As far as I'm aware, by default, Biochem has more core modules than Biomed, so you don't actually get to choose any optional modules unless you over-CAT. Doing an 'unusual' option (something outside of the life science department) doesn't seem to be that common, but it's possible.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Awesome! :cool:, What other unis are you waiting for? :smile:

Durham, York, Nottingham and Lancaster :smile: What unis are you waiting for? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Meepsy
Durham, York, Nottingham and Lancaster :smile: What unis are you waiting for? :smile:

I am waiting for Southampton, Nottingham, Durham and Bristol :smile:

When did you receive your offer btw? :biggrin: and what are they? AAB or ABB?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Lethorio
I'm finding it quite challenging so far. This is most likely due to the fact that I have no background in Chemistry, so I'm doing the mandatory Chemistry for Biological Sciences module. The first term is very biochemistry based for all of the life science streams. We have work for tutorials each week on top of a weekly lab report and tests every 3-4 weeks. I definitely have a lot more work than a lot of people living on my floor.

The social life is far better than people seem to think it is. The nightlife on campus is decent, with The Copper Rooms (club) and Terrace Bar. You can get the Uni Express to Kasbah in Coventry for £8 or to Gatecrasher in Birmingham for £15 (includes queue jump, coach there and back and entry).

I got to choose optional modules as I'm doing Biomed. As far as I'm aware, by default, Biochem has more core modules than Biomed, so you don't actually get to choose any optional modules unless you over-CAT. Doing an 'unusual' option (something outside of the life science department) doesn't seem to be that common, but it's possible.

Thank you for your response! :smile:
Reply 9
I am waiting for Southampton, Nottingham, Durham and Bristol :smile:

When did you receive your offer btw? :biggrin: and what are they? AAB or ABB?

On 18th November and it was ABB :biggrin:
Reply 10
Congratulations if you have an offer :biggrin: I'm a second year Biochemist at Warwick :smile: any questions feel free! I can answer anything about the course if you're stressing about the chem aspect or anything :smile:.
Does the university interview for biochemistry?
Also what were your predicted grades when you applied?
Reply 12
Original post by HannahPape
Congratulations if you have an offer :biggrin: I'm a second year Biochemist at Warwick :smile: any questions feel free! I can answer anything about the course if you're stressing about the chem aspect or anything :smile:.

Hey I've got an offer for biochem for 2015 entry, just wanted to know how big is the jump from alevel chemistry, is biochemsitry more biology or chemistry based? How much help and support do you get from tutors? Do many people get 2.1s and 1st class degrees?
Reply 13
Original post by HannahPape

Hi , i would like to ask you a few questions if you don;t mind:

How are the facilities?
How good are the staff at explaining?
Why did you choose warwick??

Thank you :smile:

1) Hey, I'm a 1st year biochemist.

I think the course is pretty reasonable in the first year, in the first term they take it pretty slow, and it was more time consuming as opposed to being overwhelmingly hard, in second term this changed a little, where there was about the same amount of work but it was a little harder ( that's when we begun physical chemistry, but fortunately this module is taught by the life science dept instead of the chemistry dept, which is who we receive organic chemistry lectures from, so it's just 35 of us in a room and he can take time to explain things.

For first year, a 2:1/1st is a very realistic goal assuming you keep caught up and use your free time wisely - during and outside of term. It's much more directly content based so if you know everything you will do well, as opposed to in the later years you're assessed via essays, which are (I'm assuming) much harder as you can have a great understanding...but still not do very well.

2)

The accommodation is completely random, so out of my block of about 50 people across 3 floors there are only 4 people doing biomed/bio/biochem/medical microbioloy and virology, but just by chance you'll find blocks/floors that have many similar degrees.

The social life is pretty good, the diversity among the student body is huge, so if you look in the right places I would be surprised if you were unableto find like minded people things you like examples of societies/sports clubs: Cheese and chocolate society, cocktail society, quidditch club, game of thrones society, Warwick Anti sexism/racism society (respsectively)World At Warwick (giving free language lessons), and then loads of cultural and academic societies.

The SU club is not great, but the bar/pub is decent. There are clubs and even more bars/pubs a 20/30 minutes taxi/bus ride (£20 taxi across 5 people is pretty reasonable), and Coventry( not that anyone goes there apart from for Kasbah). There is also a service called uni express which for £12-16 or something provides travel to and back from the club, entry, and a queue jump, going to a club in birmingham as well as some in coventry and leamington spa.

3) I don't know anyone who has picked additional modules, it's easier in second year because they have your first year results to look at, and they won't let you do it if they think it'll jeopardise your results in core modules. In first year they have nothing to look at to work out if you'll be able to cope, maybe, but doubtfully you have ridiculous A level results A*s/very high UMS that could be a factor. You can also take more modules than they advise, but they advise a certain number for a reason...

Original post by Laiylamalik
Does the university interview for biochemistry?
Also what were your predicted grades when you applied?

I got in through clearing, at the time I had AAC ( but now have AAA after a catastrophic f-up was rectified - losing pages in my exam...)

Original post by Saif94
Hi , i would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind:

How are the facilities?
How good are the staff at explaining?
Why did you choose warwick??

Thank you :smile:

I think the facilities are pretty good, I have no complaints about the equipment we have to use for our labs. There is a dedicated library for life sciences and medical students open pretty late, 8/10 i think. There are several core texts for those not wanting to pay 100s of pounds for all of them ( mainly since they're not all vital)

The staff are pretty good, sometimes difficult to understand due to accents, but generally produce good slides and can explain what they mean (y'know, they are academics). All are usually welcome to people coming to their offices with questions, as well as asking questions via email.

As I said above, I didn't really have as much choice when I choosing university as I got here through clearing - but I think that it's got a great overall reputation ( The Times and Sunday Times university of the year 2014-15! 10th or 8th overall or something .), although it may not be spectacular for biology especially (22nd I think). I personally think the individual reputation is more valued by potential employers. Its ranking is really pretty impressive since it's only than 50 years old.

Quick Reply

Latest