The Student Room Group

Ask a Jewish guy anything

I know a similar thread was posted recently but:
a) I can provide a different perspective as I am male (as opposed to the other thread where OP was a Jewish girl), and I gathered from the other thread, I am more religious (no insult intended to the other OP)
b) Some of your questions went unanswered on the other thread
c) I think some of the answers were not entirely correct on the other thread e.g. as in answering your questions of why Jewish women cover their hair.

So please, ask anything! I will do my best to answer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want a short post to quote, this is it. Ask away :smile:
Reply 2
Forgot to mention that you should please repeat any questions that went unanswered on the other thread, as I think I can answer most of them.
And of course this thread applies also to those who didn't post on the last thread but just want to ask a question about Judaism/life as a Jew.
Ta
Reply 3
Do you think it's humane to cut a body part off of someone who can't have any say in it.
Reply 4
Original post by Atsushi
Do you think it's humane to cut a body part off of someone who can't have any say in it.

Firstly, we believe it's a command from G-d in order to perfect our bodies, which are born incomplete. This of course is spiritually; we don't condone changing a person to make them physically perfect.

But if you discount the religious perspective then:
Circumcision has health benefits anyway.
You need it as a Jew so it's far more humane to do it when the child is young than the excruciating pain they would feel when they're old enough to make the conscious decision.
Also, the baby really feels very little. You cannot do the operation without severe medical training (doctors often testify to how well a Jewish 'Mohel' performs the operation) and the child forgets it within about 5 seconds or feels pain after. Trust me, I've seen enough to know how the child reacts.
Reply 5
Why would God give us a foreskin, if it is a hindrance?
Reply 6
Original post by CRW1996
Why would God give us a foreskin, if it is a hindrance?

Man is supposed to have a part in the creation of a person, specifically the removal of the foreskin.
It symbolises the entering into a Covenant with G-d, as He originally established the Covenant with Abraham (see the book of Genesis)
Reply 7
Didn't god create man in his own image
Reply 8
Original post by DouglasAdams
Man is supposed to have a part in the creation of a person, specifically the removal of the foreskin.
It symbolises the entering into a Covenant with G-d, as He originally established the Covenant with Abraham (see the book of Genesis)

Maybe I've misunderstood you but wouldn't that imply that people who still have their foreskin are not 'complete'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Atsushi
Didn't god create man in his own image

Orthodox views tend to follow the commentary of Rashi (which is a Hebrew abbreviation for Rabbeinu Sholomo Yitzchaki i.e. our Rabbi Shlomo Yitzchaki). He says on the verses of which you speak (Genesis 1:26-27) that in our image means 'with our mould'. This is because G-d obviously has no physical form so it would be impossible to explain the verse as meaning in our actual form.
As to 'in the image of G-d He created him', this is understood to mean in the 'image of the semblance of his Creator' (Rashi).
The Talmud (Baba Basra 58a) makes it clear however that man is in no way equal to the physical representation of G-d to humans when He appears to them, and Adam looked like a monkey in comparison to G-d.
do you watch 'strictly kosher'?
how do you stop your kippa from flying off on windy days?
Reply 12
Original post by Aniqa Bushra
how do you stop your kippa from flying off on windy days?

Either hold it or use clips, like women's hair clips but for men
Reply 13
Original post by chocolatesauce
do you watch 'strictly kosher'?

No, sorry mate.
Either hold it or use clips, like women's hair clips but for men

what if you're 60 and have no hair? what do the hair clips grip on to?
Reply 15

On a side note why don't you write God but G-d.
Whats the point of women covering their hair with a wig?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
@techno-thriller, post 12:

As I think you know, each of these posts have a specific answer.
You also have no idea of context. Furthermore, Judaism is an extremely self-critical religion, and the ways in which these comments are explained are numerous.
I'm not going to quote passages of Jewish literature to answer each comment there.
If you have a serious problem with one of those, and are not just copying and pasting, select that comment. Then do some research as to the actual explanation behind the words, and get some context.
Reply 18
Do you dislike Muslims (feel contempt for them)?
Reply 19
Original post by Atsushi
On a side note why don't you write God but G-d.

Technically, one should never rub out G-d's name so most Jews avoid writing it, in case the piece of paper it's on is destroyed, or binned etc.
(Pieces of paper with G-d name on are buried in a Jewish cemetery)
Most Rabbinic authorities agree this doesn't apply on a computer, but I prefer to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply

Latest