The Student Room Group

Is Mathematics at Cambridge the hardest undergraduate degree in the world?

Mathematics at Cambridge is widely considered to be one of the most challenging undergraduate degrees in the UK, if not the world. Of course, the matter is entirely subjective and relative to the individual but, do you think it would be fair to give it this title? Or can you think of more challenging courses, for example, Math 55, at Harvard? Although, that's not exactly a degree in itself.

Scroll to see replies

I reckon accelerated graduate medicine, at almost any uni.
Reply 2
Original post by StudiousMedic
Mathematics at Cambridge is widely considered to be one of the most challenging undergraduate degrees in the UK, if not the world. Of course, the matter is entirely subjective and relative to the individual but, do you think it would be fair to give it this title? Or can you think of more challenging courses, for example, Math 55, at Harvard? Although, that's not exactly a degree in itself.

I believe in Cambridge's reputation and although I have not done mathematics at Cambridge I think it is safe to say yes Cambridge is hardest.

There was a guy who came from MIT for a year abroad study at Cambridge and struggled. He was one of the top students in his class in MIT too. He said he had to work 3x harder at Cambridge.

I think this says a lot although it is anecdotal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
In terms of intellectual capability required, yes. In terms of workload, no. Depends what you mean by hardest.
Reply 4
On the point of the OP, is there anywhere I could access the Mathematics course material of Cambridge? Such as notes, tests, assignments etc?
Reply 5
Original post by eggs_and_bacon
I reckon accelerated graduate medicine, at almost any uni.

Medicine doesn't have anything near the complexity of Maths degree (especially at Cambridge), though.
Original post by alow
Medicine doesn't have anything near the complexity of Maths degree (especially at Cambridge), though.

Yes - I guess it's how you define "hardest", and whether it's to do with the complexity of concepts or the sheer volume of information you have to absorb. I'm sure they are both exceptionally difficult but for different reasons.
Original post by Sgany
On the point of the OP, is there anywhere I could access the Mathematics course material of Cambridge? Such as notes, tests, assignments etc?

The examples sheets for the Pure Mathematics course are here. It is generally two per week.

https://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/study/#PartIA
Reply 8
Original post by eggs_and_bacon
Yes - I guess it's how you define "hardest", and whether it's to do with the complexity of concepts or the sheer volume of information you have to absorb. I'm sure they are both exceptionally difficult but for different reasons.

Yeah I agree that an accelerated medicine course probably has an insane amount of content, but there are probably more people who could complete it than Mathematics at Cambridge.
Reply 9
For those who do Part III, absolutely.
Reply 10
Original post by Noble.

what is Part III?
Reply 11
Original post by JPL9457
what is Part III?

4th year
Reply 12
Original post by Noble.
4th year

and why is it so hard?
Reply 13
Original post by JPL9457
and why is it so hard?

It's incredibly intense, and the work is a 'step up' from other top 4th year mathematics masters in the country.
I think you guys are making a mistake, by far the most difficult and challenging degree is Law at UWS
Original post by Noble.

I've always been curious about this: what makes Part III sooooo much more difficult than, for example, the Oxford/Warwick 4th year? I'm not questioning that fact in the slightest, I'm just curious as to the reason :smile:
EDIT: Oops, I was beaten to it :colondollar:
I respect anyone who does Maths at any university, if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably.
Reply 18
Nooooo, it's English at Queen Mary, you dim people!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
I found Maths at Cam pretty tough, but then again I lost interest in Maths somewhere during the first year. My girlfriend has a Maths degree from MIT, and did a few classes across the river at Harvard, but she seems to know way less Maths than I do. So there is some anecdotal evidence in support of the proposition.

I can also confirm, in case it was in doubt, that Maths at Cambridge is much harder than Law at BPP (doing a second degree there currently)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending