The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Right, poll now fixed, those who previously voted will need to revote, sorry!
I thought that was absolutely amazing, personally. I don't think I can even words atm. Still recovering omg.

Original post by mynameisntbobk
"Gallifrey falls no more"

Got so exited by that

I got more excited by seeing "silence will fall" after it - after getting the little glimpse of a Silence to prime me. Finally, dude. I've never felt that the "silence will fall" prophecy was sufficiently fulfilled by the "stars going out" in the finale. Hoping to see it get properly answered at Christmas. :biggrin:
Then the Sherlock teaser! OOMMMGGG.
I quite enjoyed it. :h:

However, I was expecting so much more from the Fall of Arcadia... I was hoping to see the Skaro Degredation, the horde of travesties, the Nightmare Child, the Could-Have-Been King and his army of Meanwhiles and Never-weres... All we got were a few Daleks and Starship trooper-esque soldiers with ray guns... Granted we didn't see the whole battle, but it would have been interesting to give us a bit more to chew on.

Lovely to see a brief bit of Eccleston and Capaldi's very striking eyes.

Also, the Doctor becomes the curator? How can the curator be Tom Baker?! Can the Doctor somehow revisit the favourite faces (as the curator said) in the future? Maybe he does eventually retire, becomes a human, chooses his personal favourite face/body, lives and dies on Earth.

Then what about Trenzalore!?

Also, if Gallifrey is saved, then it somewhat puts a spanner in the plot of 'End of Time'... Does it? Maybe. I don't know. I'm tired.

My girlfriend, silly thing that she is, can't stop saying "Who Knows!" and touching her nose now. :sigh:
Original post by Miracle Day
Probably the last time Rose could have made an appearance again, and she didn't even meet the Doctor.. ffs

And I guess no Torchwood, they said when Jack died they got his vortex manipulator or some ****?

No, she said 'when Jack died, or one of the times he died anyway', he's immortal remember.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
I quite enjoyed it. :h:

However, I was expecting so much more from the Fall of Arcadia... I was hoping to see the Skaro Degredation, the horde of travesties, the Nightmare Child, the Could-Have-Been King and his army of Meanwhiles and Never-weres... All we got were a few Daleks and Starship trooper-esque soldiers with ray guns... Granted we didn't see the whole battle, but it would have been interesting to give us a bit more to chew on.

Lovely to see a brief bit of Eccleston and Capaldi's very striking eyes.

Also, the Doctor becomes the curator? How can the curator be Tom Baker?! Can the Doctor somehow revisit the favourite faces (as the curator said) in the future? Maybe he does eventually retire, becomes a human, chooses his personal favourite face/body, lives and dies on Earth.

Also, if Gallifrey is saved, then it somewhat puts a spanner in the plot of 'End of Time'... Does it? Maybe. I don't know. I'm tired.

My girlfriend, silly thing that she is, can't stop saying "Who Knows!" and touching her nose now. :sigh:

Just one of the things that made me feel uncomfy with it. Although in End of Time it is said that 'The Doctor still possess the Moment and still intends to use it to destroy both Dalek and Time-Lord alike.' I take this to mean that actually End of Time is contemporary to the events of this episode. :dontknow:

This bit threw me off the trail a bit. Still don't understand what went on there tbh, but think it was just a moment for fans to just appreciate and not read too much into. Will probably lead to some serious brain haemorrhaging in trying to understand what Moffat wanted to convey there (at least for me :colondollar:).

Watch the next ep teaser. :wink:
Am I the only one who genuinely didn't like this episode AT ALL?!
I loved the episode, but what happened with the timestream thing on Trenzalore? I must have missed something.

I reconcile the confusing paradoxes that might occur with the episode by thinking "time travel is weird".
Original post by SirMasterKey
Just one of the things that made me feel uncomfy with it. Although in End of Time it is said that 'The Doctor still possess the Moment and still intends to use it to destroy both Dalek and Time-Lord alike.' I take this to mean that actually End of Time is contemporary to the events of this episode. :dontknow:

Rassilon is going to be quite annoyed when he finds out he wasn't in a time lock afterall, going to all the trouble to get out of it and all :shifty:
Personally I was a little disappointed. All the pomp and circumstance was good, and I liked some of the references, but there were a few too many self-referential bits and in-jokes. Plus, more importantly, the two biggest holes in the plot were just brushed aside in the manner of "that's just a thing that can happen now," and some of the inclusions for the sake of making it a festival of all things Doctor Who made things not quite fit properly.

I know it's only really a kids' show and it's to be expected that things just get explained away as 'timey-wimey', but I do feel they could have put in a bit more effort to make the plot a bit more coherent rather than forcing on people's rose-tinted spectacles.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Am I the only one who genuinely didn't like this episode AT ALL?!

I'm with you.
Am I in a minority when I say that it was great? :emo:
Original post by SirMasterKey

I Also, if Gallifrey is saved, then it somewhat puts a spanner in the plot of 'End of Time'... Does it? Maybe. I don't know. I'm tired.

That was actually one of the few things that they didn't complicate, since the events of today's episode took place on the very last day of the Time War - presumably everything that happened in the End of Time happened earlier in the chronology of the Time War, so Gallifrey had already been sent back into the time lock by the time the three Doctors from today got there.
Original post by MangoFreak
I loved the episode, but what happened with the timestream thing on Trenzalore? I must have missed something.

I reconcile the confusing paradoxes that might occur with the episode by thinking "time travel is weird".

Yeah its like that never happened. Thought they were stuck there at the end of Name of the Doctor? Admittedly not the only flaw in the special, but I didn't think it is as bad as some people (:hmmm:) are making it out to be. :dontknow:
Original post by Mr.Messy
Am I in a minority when I say that it was great? :emo:

Yes. I also liked the episode but I'm not surprised it's unpopular. The plot devices, the complexity, the intellectual stimulation will never be appreciated by stupid people. By definition, most people are stupid and so most people will dislike today's episode. /rant
Original post by Savvy Sage
Yes. I also liked the episode but I'm not surprised it's unpopular. The plot devices, the complexity, the intellectual stimulation will never be appreciated by stupid people. By definition, most people are stupid and so most people will dislike today's episode. /rant

Not AT ALL.
They completely changed what it means to be The Doctor now, the Doctor learns from his past and as such used the events of what happened to Galifray to shape the person he is today, now without the events of Galifray disappearing, it SHOULD throw the Doctor's timeline COMPLETELY out of sync!
Reply 2636
I think Pete Tyler would be a bit annoyed about the whole not having to die and getting to see his daughter grow up thing, but hey, Tennant Smith and Hurt in one scene! Seriously how could someone explain how that was possible.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Not AT ALL.
They completely changed what it means to be The Doctor now, the Doctor learns from his past and as such used the events of what happened to Galifray to shape the person he is today, now without the events of Galifray disappearing, it SHOULD throw the Doctor's timeline COMPLETELY out of sync!

Hurt doesn't remember the events though, so he believed he destroyed his people still

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr.Messy
Watch the next ep teaser. :wink:

I already did. :yep: Didn't help with the whole Doctor dying at Trenzalore thing.

Original post by Theflyingbarney
That was actually one of the few things that they didn't complicate, since the events of today's episode took place on the very last day of the Time War - presumably everything that happened in the End of Time happened earlier in the chronology of the Time War, so Gallifrey had already been sent back into the time lock by the time the three Doctors from today got there.

Oh yes, quite right. :yes:
Original post by Savvy Sage

I'd say it was the other way around - the plot devices and such would only be appreciated by stupid people. Clever people would be disappointed at the fact that none of the convenient get-arounds were even remotely explained or justified. Time War is time locked? Oh wait, we can get in now because a sentient bomb says so. Why doesn't the Doctor remember any of this? Oh, he conveniently forgets right back until the point before he meets himself. But if he forgets everything, how does the future incarnation of the Doctor know when and where to show up to help with the whole moving Gallifrey thing? Let's not even offer an explanation and hope people don't notice. As I said above, I liked all the pomp and circumstance but they could have made a bit more effort in making the plot coherent.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest