The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1700
Original post by Descartes93
Are you doing lit or numeracy test first? If you don't mind, would you let us know how it goes - got my lit booked on friday and stressing out immensely!

Sure thing! Its my lit first then a week before maths. Will post here wed eve!
Reply 1701
Original post by madl24903
Did anyone find they ran out of lines before characters for their PS?

I imagine most people did. I had over 500 characters left, but had exceeded my line limit...
Reply 1702
Original post by tory88
If they're on the form, then they're open. The search function seems a bit dodgy to me, and we all know we can't trust UCAS very much (although they did at least keep it from crashing, which was a shock). But anyway, if you can apply to it, it is open.

Thanks a lot! I think it might not be on the list because they offer a PGDE rather than a PGCE. It looks like the course slightly different and you won't be able to get the same bursaries for it so it would cost me a lot more. I'm not sure whether I should put Chester down as my third choice instead. I'd really like like to go to JMU though, one of my best friends studied there and she said that everyone was really supportive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Second reference complete, form paid for and sent! :smile:

It's all becoming very real...
Original post by tory88
Application sent off to referees. Never have I felt so nervous to click a button - the urge to go back to "check all" for a third time was almost overwhelming.

I was the same! So scary lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be totally crushed if I don't even get an interview. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's rare they rejected without interview, it only happens if your application is completely awful, so that will make me feel worse :awesome:
Sorry to be a bother but for the work/school experience did folks just put, dates, factual information of what you did? I'm not paragraphs of info, just like a bullet point style (similar to a CV).
Sorry to be a bother but for the work/school experience did folks just put, dates, factual information of what you did? I'm not paragraphs of info, just like a bullet point style (similar to a CV).

I did it in continuous prose, I said the month of each school experience with a sentence outlining my main duties. Couldn't go into too much detail because of the line restriction but used all the space I had.

I did in "CV style" like this, but elaborated a little on one or two points I felt needed more explanation (not immediately clear from job title what the role was).
Reply 1709

June-July 2013
****** School
'Teach Physics' intern
One month as a full time member of teaching staff, encompassing marking, running a form group and delivering a nuber of two hour double lessons independently.

^^^ An example of one of my experience bits (roughly, from memory)
Reply 1710

Initially I wrote it in continuous prose, as someone else did. I managed to get it to quite a nice point. Then my housemate came over and showed me that if you click the question mark beside the section, you're shown that it really is just looking for a when/where/what, unembellished response. So I deleted everything and wrote the absolute basic. It makes more sense, too, in my opinion - your PS is where they want to see the experiences you've had relate to your skills for teaching etc. If they were to give you an extra section to do it in, something wouldn't be quite right. I think it is just for the factual evidence of having experience rather than anything else. A piece of me (the english student side) still wishes I had kept the longer description though!

Mine was literally- school x. Dates. Role. And I did it bullet pointed. Same reasoned as above. I was just under the impression it was for facts rather than explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ginger.
Thanks a lot! I think it might not be on the list because they offer a PGDE rather than a PGCE. It looks like the course slightly different and you won't be able to get the same bursaries for it so it would cost me a lot more. I'm not sure whether I should put Chester down as my third choice instead. I'd really like like to go to JMU though, one of my best friends studied there and she said that everyone was really supportive.

Sorry, not sure what subject you're referring to here, but apparently sheffield uni now offer a PGDE instead of a PGCE, and their website says that you are still eligible for bursaries. From what I can gather the change in the course does not affect the funding which you're eligible for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1713
Hey, I know this is irrelevant as I'm not applying for 2014 but 2016 for a History PGCE but does anyone have any advice? As I know History is very competitive. Ideally I'd like to go to the institute of education. Thanks!
Original post by Cina
Hey, I know this is irrelevant as I'm not applying for 2014 but 2016 for a History PGCE but does anyone have any advice? As I know History is very competitive. Ideally I'd like to go to the institute of education. Thanks!

Best thing I can suggest is keep working hard, and try to get as much school experience as you can, and show you have an external interest in history as well. I'm not a history applicant, so I'm not sure how to best advise you but it's a good starting point.
Reply 1715
Original post by Cina

Experience, experience, experience. See as many different schools and teachers as you can, do some volunteering around your uni, shadow some teachers at home, just get yourself into as many schools as possible. Other than that, work to get the highest degree grade you can.
Original post by amul1992
Sorry, not sure what subject you're referring to here, but apparently sheffield uni now offer a PGDE instead of a PGCE, and their website says that you are still eligible for bursaries. From what I can gather the change in the course does not affect the funding which you're eligible for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. Do you know what the difference is? I thought diploma (I'm assuming that's what it stands for) was higher than certificate, so maybe they get more masters credits? Dunno. I always associated Scotland with PGDEs.

Edit - from a Google I may have been wrong, the PGCE seems to be higher with the masters credits. I still don't get the difference.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Interesting. Do you know what the difference is? I thought diploma (I'm assuming that's what it stands for) was higher than certificate, so maybe they get more masters credits? Dunno. I always associated Scotland with PGDEs.

Edit - from a Google I may have been wrong, the PGCE seems to be higher with the masters credits. I still don't get the difference.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheffield pgde offers 120 masters credits, thus you must have to do more masters level assignments throughout the year. Considered applying there but can't afford the move!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1718

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read the other day (I think on wikipedia!) that basically the name PGCE is misleading as it is at a diploma level, not a certificate level. But I think they just keep it for ease. Except Scotland who decided to rename it PGDE so it is in line with other PG qualifications.

All PGCEs have to have masters credits now in England iirc.

I don't know about PGDEs in England though :?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1719
I'll be totally crushed if I don't even get an interview. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's rare they rejected without interview, it only happens if your application is completely awful, so that will make me feel worse :awesome:

Don't feel really bad. It depends on the course and uni. The year before I applied my uni had 500 and something applicants... They can't possibly interview all of those, the only had 200 something interviews.

Also remember that not being invited for interview, or offered a place for that matter, doesn't mean you won't still make a superb teacher some day. It just means they decided that you need some more time to gain experience, hone your reflective skills or mature personally a little more. Or, with the reduction in places, it could well mean they just had a tough decision as they had more great applicants than they did places. Many people apply several times before getting on to teacher training and go on to excell.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest