The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

On the education bit of the application form, it says that the percentages that your modules took up must be in whole numbers, but also equal 100. What if, as rounded to the nearest whole number, they don't equal 100?? Is this going to be a big issue?
Has everyone used their three choices? I want to teach business, but did chose D&T also then I just put biology for the third, deffo not get in for biology but didn't want to waste an app.
Reply 1722
Original post by Esmeralda4
On the education bit of the application form, it says that the percentages that your modules took up must be in whole numbers, but also equal 100. What if, as rounded to the nearest whole number, they don't equal 100?? Is this going to be a big issue?

I rounded everything, then added it up. I got 101, so just took 1 off of the module I felt I spent less time on than equivalently weighted modules.

Original post by Lucy_jucie
Has everyone used their three choices? I want to teach business, but did chose D&T also then I just put biology for the third, deffo not get in for biology but didn't want to waste an app.

Why not apply to teach the same subject, but at three different universities? Otherwise, your personal statement will have to be very vague.
Original post by tory88
I rounded everything, then added it up. I got 101, so just took 1 off of the module I felt I spent less time on than equivalently weighted modules.

Wicked, thanks. That makes sense.
Original post by Lucy_jucie

I would apply to do the same course at different universities. To me, if you apply to do something you don't want to then it is still a waste.
Reply 1725
Original post by amul1992
Sorry, not sure what subject you're referring to here, but apparently sheffield uni now offer a PGDE instead of a PGCE, and their website says that you are still eligible for bursaries. From what I can gather the change in the course does not affect the funding which you're eligible for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting!

I'm applying for Modern Foreign Languages.

This is what it says on JMU's website:

You need to be aware that most PG courses do not attract statutory funding. The ones that do attract statutory support (grants and/or loans) that we offer at LJMU are:

- PGCE courses , for more information please vist www.directgov.co.uk and www.tda.gov.uk
- MA social work for which an NHS bursary is payable to some students. For more information please visit www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk
- PG dip in Architecture

http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/course.asp?CourseId=401

I'll give them a call tomorrow, just in case.

Original post by Airfairy
Interesting. Do you know what the difference is? I thought diploma (I'm assuming that's what it stands for) was higher than certificate, so maybe they get more masters credits? Dunno. I always associated Scotland with PGDEs.

Edit - from a Google I may have been wrong, the PGCE seems to be higher with the masters credits. I still don't get the difference.
Posted from TSR Mobile

This course 120 credits as well. Someone mentioned that the PGDE at Sheffield was actually harder, I'm so confused. I think I will have to call the teaching line tomorrow, just wanna know whether it might affect my employment prospects as well.
Reply 1726
Does anyone else feel like they're going crazy waiting for references? I just want the damn things to be WRITTEN already so I can move onto going crazy waiting for university decisions...
Original post by mango93
Does anyone else feel like they're going crazy waiting for references? I just want the damn things to be WRITTEN already so I can move onto going crazy waiting for university decisions...

My sentiments exactly
Has anyone found the codes for marjons pgce primary???? Can't find them.
Reply 1729
Original post by miss_disney
My sentiments exactly

Don't worry, I feel the same too.

My Primary reference said he got the email Friday morning and told me he was writing my reference and sending it off. There have been no updates informing me that his reference was sent...
I'm hoping that it will be done Monday. :s-smilie:
I am finding it hard to concentrate on my university work because I am waiting for my references!

I need to chill!
got mine all paid and sent off for on Friday, but just waiting till i can login to track now! :biggrin:
Original post by xxstace123xx
I am finding it hard to concentrate on my university work because I am waiting for my references!

I need to chill!

I feel exactly the same ! Slightly frustrating!
Original post by miss_disney
I feel exactly the same ! Slightly frustrating!

It really is.

My main referee said that he had wrote the reference but has not got the email! So I am going to have to ring UCAS tomorrow about that.

My second reference has accepted but not written, I don't want to be pushy though as she is the head teacher and has just returned from sick leave. She said she was happy to write it, but I feel mean pushing for it when she has a lot to do on her return.
Does anyone know roughly how long until you receive the Welcome Letter? I sent mine off on Saturday so assuming towards the end of this week?
Neither of my references have accepted the email let alone submitted them! So annoying...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1736
Original post by tory88
Experience, experience, experience. See as many different schools and teachers as you can, do some volunteering around your uni, shadow some teachers at home, just get yourself into as many schools as possible. Other than that, work to get the highest degree grade you can.

Thanks! Atm in january I will be spending a week in my history department at my secondary school and another week in June. I was also thinking maybe on my day off next term seeing if I could go into a local school once a week but then that might impact on my study time? I don't know if this will help but in Sep 2015 I'm going to Mexico to teach kids english for 2 weeks. I just realised I'll be applying for 2017 not 2016 lol
Reply 1737
Original post by Esmeralda4

Nah - I do a joint honours degree (Sociology with Criminology) and I put how many credits of Sociology I do and how many credits worth of Criminology I do.

...which adds up to 360 credits in all of my entire degree :wink: The form didn't complain about it adding up to more than 100!
Reply 1738
Oh good grief...there are times when I wish I was still a student and had easy access to this sort of information! Am filling in the Education section for my degree and am completely stumped for the subjects / credits part of it. The course has changed significantly since I graduated ten years ago (it was a new course at the time), so what's on the university website doesn't really reflect what I studied. Do I guess? Enter subjects / modules but no credits (have no clue what the breakdown was!)?

How are other mature students managing this stuff?
Hi everyone. I'm a bit confused with my application as when I click on 'check form' it says everything is completed apart from choices, under which it says 'see below' and explains 'The availability of your choices may change between now and when you pay and send your application to UCAS. You can finalise them up until just before you pay and send your application to UCAS'. I've saved and clicked complete on everyhting but how do I know if it has been sent to my references?!