The Student Room Group

Is management seen as a 'soft' degree because I have hear that opinion?

Is management considered soft or easy, is it less regarded than economics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yh unless you do it at the likes of LSE, Warwick...
Reply 2
Yes it's pretty squishy.
Reply 3
So what uni's is it well regarded at?
Reply 4
Original post by Caedus
Yes it's pretty squishy.

And mushy. Like a mushy pea :colone:
Reply 5
Original post by sosadsosad
And mushy. Like a mushy pea :colone:

Management is rather a squishy, mushy, pulpy, pea-like degree. I'm glad we, in our infinite widsom, gave our best contrivance to answer the OP's particular burning question :biggrin:.

Original post by carns
So what uni's is it well regarded at?

Probably at a RG or similar university.
Reply 6
Original post by Caedus
Management is rather a squishy, mushy, pulpy, pea-like degree. I'm glad we, in our infinite widsom, gave our best contrivance to answer the OP's particular burning question :biggrin:.

:five: :awesome:
As someone who studied, and has graduated in, a degree in Business and Management... yeah I wish I took something like Economics or something a bit more traditional.
Reply 8
So is this degree basically not worth doing? (I better change my choices then...)
Reply 9
No one said it's not worth doing - but think about where you are doing it and whether a more traditional subject might keep more doors open for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Gibber96
No one said it's not worth doing - but think about where you are doing it and whether a more traditional subject might keep more doors open for you.

But that's hard when two of my A level choices are occupied by Business, the other Psychology (which I really don't like). So it would be hard for me to justify doing something else, with no work experience/general experience in that subject.
Original post by Carl1234
But that's hard when two of my A level choices are occupied by Business, the other Psychology (which I really don't like). So it would be hard for me to justify doing something else, with no work experience/general experience in that subject.

Management is a soft subject. It would only carry weight if you study it at a red brick university like Bristol, Warwick, LSE, Durham etc.

Economics would be respected far more as it's an academic subject and not seen in the same light.

However if you are unhappy with your current A level selection could you consider changing? What do you ideally want to do/study/be after school?
Reply 12
Yh it's a soft subject.

You could go to a uni and do a foundation year in the subject you really want to do.
Reply 14
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Management is a soft subject. It would only carry weight if you study it at a red brick university like Bristol, Warwick, LSE, Durham etc.

Economics would be respected far more as it's an academic subject and not seen in the same light.

However if you are unhappy with your current A level selection could you consider changing? What do you ideally want to do/study/be after school?

I don't know to be honest, and I'm in my final year so there's no chance of me changing my A level subjects. I'm not really good at Maths (Got a C at GCSE after like 5 resits... yeah.) and was told that Economics involves a lot of maths, so I'm not sure if something like that is for me. I just regret putting Business Management as my choice now... I'm hoping to go to Newcastle, as from what I can see here, it's not going to get me far.
Reply 15
Anyone got a success story here, who went to a decent uni (not one of the best) and got a good career out of their Business Management degree?
Anyone got a success story here, who went to a decent uni (not one of the best) and got a good career out of their Business Management degree?

Define "decent uni"?
Reply 17
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Define "decent uni"?

Somewhere like... Northumbria?
Reply 18
I'm doing business marketing and management and have applied for 5 Russell group universities, I don't think it's a 'mushy degree', it may not open as many doors as a 'classic degree' but it will definitely open doors if you want a business style career

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by mai_
I'm doing business marketing and management and have applied for 5 Russell group universities, I don't think it's a 'mushy degree', it may not open as many doors as a 'classic degree' but it will definitely open doors if you want a business style career

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, that's what I think. That's why I want to do it, because I want a career within Business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending