The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

just been watching some Clannad AMVs, forgot how much i enjoyed that show :puppyeyes: so damn beautiful at times :cry2:

warning contains Clannad and Clannad AS spoilers

Spoiler

probs my fave AMV :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6021
Among the Key adaptations, I've always preferred Air and Kanon over Clannad. Couldn't really get into Little Busters! either, but that's probably because J.C Staff were handling that one, as opposed to KyoAni.
Reply 6022
So, it's been a while since I've given an update on what I'm watching...

Despite how many I've picked up from the current season, I randomly decided that I'll play catch up on both Naruto and One Piece. I was around 10 to 20 episodes behind on each, and remarkably, after a week or so, I'm now back up to date. One Piece is brilliant as usual. Its formula never seems to get old. Naruto is reasonably enjoyable as well, but it doesn't quite match up to One Piece in its ability to entertain me. Personal preference, of course.

Aside from those two, I've also decided to resume Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince. I saw the first couple of episodes and considered it Gundam by Sunrise, only that it's not Gundam or by Sunrise. In the end, I decided to postpone the anime, not because it was bad, as such, there were just others that held my interest more at the time. When I went back to Japan in late July, early August, I saw an advert of the anime on the train and it reminded me that I should get back to it. All in all, it's shaping up to be a pretty fun mecha series at episode 13. It has all of the common cliches of a Gundam series, which I consider a good thing, and the characters are warming to me. The subtle hints of romance are appreciated.

Weekly wise, I'm keeping up with Ace of the Diamond, but sadly it's straying further and further away from an reenactment of my beloved Major with each episode. This is a bad thing for me. I'm sure it'll pick up in the long run, but I'm having second thoughts as to whether I can stomach this weekly. It might be one for a marathon at a later stage.

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio is one of my biggest surprises of the season. It's your typical harem with a twist (each girl is a rocket/weapon that possesses a battleship of some kind), and said twist is what distinguishes it. The battle sequences are tastefully presented, and there's enough intrigue regarding the plot to keep me watching. It's hardly groundbreaking stuff, but it's a lot better than what I expected.

It's also one of the best 3D/CG rendered anime I've seen in that aside from the fluidity of the character's movements (that's actually a good thing), it looks more or less like any other anime. They've done a really good job, in that regard, and it's an approach I can imagine other studios adopting in the future.

None of the others are worth elaborating upon too much, I'll just say that Log Horizon, whilst lacking the tenacity of Sword Art Online, focuses more on the MMORPG element of the series, which is nice. Pacing issues are less apparent as there doesn't seem to be a concurrent plot of any kind.

Magi is staying true to its qualities of offering an action adventure in another world, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Infinite Stratos 2 is a bit shallow, but would you expect anything more from it? I suppose there are a few characters that are shrouded in mystery (if you can define it as that).

Unbreakable Machine-Doll is proving enjoyable, but the plot is starting to lose my interest. My sole reason for keeping this on is because I find the female lead, Yaya, adorable.

Ugh, ok… I can't continue anymore. I'm also watching a bunch of other series (around 35 or so), so I might come back later to give my thoughts on those.

Edit: And another thing, not that anybody cares, but I've reached another statistical milestone, according to A-P, 2,000 anime watched! It would appear that I've passed it sometime back, but I didn't notice. I think I should resort to overdosing because of the embarrassment. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
So, it's been a while since I've given an update on what I'm watching...

Every time you post one of these long updates, I feel I should reply out of respect for the amount of time you've put into it... but again, it seems we're watching completely different series (that, or the ones I'm liking this season are amongst the 35 others you didn't comment on). About all I can say in response to your list is yes, Magi is great fun at the moment. :redface: As for One Piece, I'm still waiting for the current arc to end so I can marathon it, meaning I've not watched the show in about a year. :zomg: Thought you should know that someone reads and appreciates the updates, though. :smile:

I think at this point I have to acknowledge Kill la Kill as my anime of the season. I've enjoyed it enough to rate it 1st in all but one of my weekly rankings blog posts... it just doesn't feel as good as the shows that have dominated my rankings in earlier seasons. Aside from that, Hunter x Hunter, Yowamushi Pedal and Samurai Flamenco are probably the weekly shows I'm liking the most.

Congrats on 2,000 watched! :biggrin: I had actually noticed - when I went to Aber to visit the new Anime soc president, he showed my A-P list to a few members, saying that it was his goal to surpass me. :p: I pointed them towards your account, saying that it was my goal to surpass you (I can dream, can't I? :p:). Needless to say, they were in awe. :giggle:

My next A-P milestone will likely be 8 months watched. :yes: I was a couple of days away from achieving it when I decided that counting the anime that I've watched multiple times felt like a cop-out - I'd rather be able to claim I've watched 8 months worth of unique animation - so I've disabled that function again now. Even so, I'm expecting to reach the milestone well in advance of January 23rd (the date on which I achieved 7 months earlier this year, as well as 6 months in 2012).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6024
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Every time you post one of these long updates, I feel I should reply out of respect for the amount of time you've put into it... but again, it seems we're watching completely different series (that, or the ones I'm liking this season are amongst the 35 others you didn't comment on). About all I can say in response to your list is yes, Magi is great fun at the moment. :redface: As for One Piece, I'm still waiting for the current arc to end so I can marathon it, meaning I've not watched the show in about a year. :zomg: Thought you should know that someone reads and appreciates the updates, though. :smile:

Haha, thanks. Honestly, given how inactive I generally am due to work and whatnot, it's sometimes nice to let loose by typing up my thoughts on here, even if it's only for my own benefit. :tongue: Still, I'm glad you appreciate the posts. At least someone does. :redface:

As for what we're watching, I haven't checked, but I'm sure we're following many of the same anime series, I've just chosen not to mention them. :tongue: In fact, it's probably best that I check your A-P from time to time as it might help to foster discussion on here more. :smile:

These days, I generally prefer to hold off watching the longer running anime until a batch of episodes have been released. Marathoning through back to back episodes is very satisfying and not something I do that much of. :sadnod:

I think at this point I have to acknowledge Kill la Kill as my anime of the season. I've enjoyed it enough to rate it 1st in all but one of my weekly rankings blog posts... it just doesn't feel as good as the shows that have dominated my rankings in earlier seasons. Aside from that, Hunter x Hunter, Yowamushi Pedal and Samurai Flamenco are probably the weekly shows I'm liking the most.

Kill la Kill is sheer genius. Even though it bears resemblance to TTGL and FLCL (a hybrid of sorts), it's also unlike both and offers something pretty original as well that I've never seen before. I particularly like the fact that we have a strong female lead in Ryuko, especially considering this isn't a shojo series. :tongue:

Congrats on 2,000 watched! :biggrin: I had actually noticed - when I went to Aber to visit the new Anime soc president, he showed my A-P list to a few committee members, saying that it was his goal to surpass me. :p: I pointed them towards your account, saying that it was my goal to surpass you (I can dream, can't I? :p:). Needless to say, they were in awe. :giggle:

My next A-P milestone will likely be 8 months watched. :yes: I was a couple of days away from achieving it when I decided that counting the anime that I've watched multiple times felt like a cop-out - I'd rather be able to claim I've watched 8 months worth of unique animation - so I've disabled that function again now. Even so, I'm expecting to reach the milestone well in advance of January 23rd (the date on which I achieved 7 months earlier this year, as well as 6 months in 2012).

Well, when you consider how long I've been watching anime and the advantage I've had growing up in Japan, you could argue that the amount you've watched is even more remarkable. I have no doubt that you'll eventually catch up. I should also note that I attribute my increase to the many specials I forgot to acknowledge on my list, either because they didn't exist when I checked A-P or I just forgot.

As for my 'life spent on anime', this increased dramatically after A-P gave us the option to select whether we've seen something more than once. Considering you've only recently started to watch longer anime (in the last two years?), 7 months is pretty impressive.

On a somewhat related note, I do wonder what Cara has been up to lately. I haven't checked her blog, A-P or Twitter account. I wonder what her "stats" are now. :giggle:
Original post by Aiko
Haha, thanks. Honestly, given how inactive I generally am due to work and whatnot, it's sometimes nice to let loose by typing up my thoughts on here, even if it's only for my own benefit. :tongue: Still, I'm glad you appreciate the posts. At least someone does. :redface:

I've gotten into the habit of posting my weekly thoughts on my blog instead, though I post my first impressions on everything in the new season threads (speaking of which, I'd better start looking into this Winter's shows in preparation for the next one), and occasionally I summarise my overall thoughts on a show here. Seems I only really talk here about anime as the season progresses if someone else starts the discussion, or if there's a particularly stand-out episode, though. Not sure why that is. :hmmmm2:

As for what we're watching, I haven't checked, but I'm sure we're following many of the same anime series, I've just chosen not to mention them. :tongue: In fact, it's probably best that I check your A-P from time to time as it might help to foster discussion on here more. :smile:

Just checked - we're both watching Galilei Donna, Golden Time, Kill la Kill, Magi, Nagi no Asukara, Outbreak Company, Samurai Flamenco and (as of my mid-season catchup last week) Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! A few more than I expected. :smile:

Based on blog feedback, as well as discussion with people at Aberanime, though, it seems the majority of people aren't watching the series I've chosen to follow, and vice versa. I think it's largely to do with me having skipped a lot of popular shows in the past that are now getting sequels, but the absence of Kyoukai no Kanata, Log Horizon and Strike the Blood from my list also seems to surprise people. :dontknow:

These days, I generally prefer to hold off watching the longer running anime until a batch of episodes have been released. Marathoning through back to back episodes is very satisfying and not something I do that much of. :sadnod:

I occasionally plan ahead and set aside a day for anime marathons, sometimes even booking a day off work for it, but most of the time I can just about keep up with my weekly shows, occasionally watch a couple of eps of something older, and that's about all I have time for.

Kill la Kill is sheer genius. Even though it bears resemblance to TTGL and FLCL (a hybrid of sorts), it's also unlike both and offers something pretty original as well that I've never seen before. I particularly like the fact that we have a strong female lead in Ryuko, especially considering this isn't a shojo series. :tongue:

I do really enjoy the fast-paced action, nice animation style and ridiculous premise, every episode has been fantastic so far. :biggrin:

Well, when you consider how long I've been watching anime and the advantage I've had growing up in Japan, you could argue that the amount you've watched is even more remarkable. I have no doubt that you'll eventually catch up. I should also note that I attribute my increase to the many specials I forgot to acknowledge on my list, either because they didn't exist when I checked A-P or I just forgot.

As for my 'life spent on anime', this increased dramatically after A-P gave us the option to select whether we've seen something more than once. Considering you've only recently started to watch longer anime (in the last two years?), 7 months is pretty impressive.

I *think* it was in 2010 that I decided to pick up One Piece, though it was certainly 2011 by the time I'd caught up with it. :p: I've picked up a few others since then, but not as many as I'd like.

On a somewhat related note, I do wonder what Cara has been up to lately. I haven't checked her blog, A-P or Twitter account. I wonder what her "stats" are now. :giggle:

Cara's on 9 months and a week - I think I'm closing the gap between our time spent on anime, though since she took about a year out, that's only to be expected. :giggle: I'll admit, I've not been checking out her blog posts that regularly either, though I am subscribed and get an email whenever she posts something. Seems she's blogging about Kyousougiga and Samurai Flamenco this season, and watching a lot of others besides those. :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6026
I've just started watching Mirai Nikki today and I'm loving it; currently on episode 10! :biggrin:

Not quite pushing Death Note, Code Geass or FMAB out of my top three, but it's definitely up there.
Reply 6027
So is the arc after fishman island in one piece finished? I feel like resuming it again.:redface:
EDIT: Oh there's that filler arc right after, I think I watched.:sad:
EDIT2: Oh it was just a recap in the next ep.:teeth:

So there's this island with a volcano on it.. nami explains why its dangerous and they cant go near.. but all she does is make it sound more attractive to luffy.:laugh:

...Did something happen to her boobs during the timeskip.:wtf:

I have to admit im once again not very into this season.:s-smilie: Not for any particular reason. But then Ive always only followed a handful of series.

Oh and I also finished Robotics;Notes.:yep: Which I thought was a very good series. :smile: Its all very plausable considering the prevalence of smart phones in current society. And the 3DS comes with some augmented reality cards.. but those you look at once when you get the thing and never use again.:erm:

Original post by Aiko
Edit: And another thing, not that anybody cares, but I've reached another statistical milestone, according to A-P, 2,000 anime watched! It would appear that I've passed it sometime back, but I didn't notice. I think I should resort to overdosing because of the embarrassment. :frown:

Well done.:yep:

I recently noticed I passed 8000 eps.:proud:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by eugenius 8
just been watching some Clannad AMVs, forgot how much i enjoyed that show :puppyeyes: so damn beautiful at times :cry2:

warning contains Clannad and Clannad AS spoilers

Spoiler

probs my fave AMV :h:

Cheeky AMV :tongue: its a good one to be fair. I need to get the final dvd for it :frown: got full first season and half of AS.
Reply 6029
I am catching up on Space Bros! Now I am only 5 eps behind instead of 9. xD
It doesn't capture my heart like it used to but I still love watching it more than any other show airing. I am so very attached to the characters, I don't want this show to ever end.

And I'm glad Kill la Kill has toned the service WAY down after the big fight (in ep 4 I believe)? Didn't a similar thing happen in TTGL? :P
I'm not getting as much out of it as I initially expected, but since it's two cour I'm still expecting something good.

Spoiler

Reply 6030
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I've gotten into the habit of posting my weekly thoughts on my blog instead, though I post my first impressions on everything in the new season threads (speaking of which, I'd better start looking into this Winter's shows in preparation for the next one), and occasionally I summarise my overall thoughts on a show here. Seems I only really talk here about anime as the season progresses if someone else starts the discussion, or if there's a particularly stand-out episode, though. Not sure why that is. :hmmmm2:

I suppose you just need the initiative to start a discussion. If the intention isn't there, you wouldn't. It's something I've attempted to do before, but often I've found that very few in here watch much, if anything, from the current season, so they're unable to comment on what I'm posting about. :sadnod: I guess I should stick to the most notable of the season, or at least focus on them more. That said, this season doesn't really have an anime like Attack on Titan or Sword Art Online that garners a large audience.

Just checked - we're both watching Galilei Donna, Golden Time, Kill la Kill, Magi, Nagi no Asukara, Outbreak Company, Samurai Flamenco and (as of my mid-season catchup last week) Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! A few more than I expected. :smile:

Admittedly, I'm lagging behind on Golden Time (episode 2). Euge has told me on Skype that it's getting pretty good too, so I should play catch up. The same can be said of Nagi no Asukara. I suppose the romances are getting a raw deal this season from me. :tongue:

How are you finding Outbreak Company? The whole premise of an ordinary 'otaku' main character bringing anime, manga and related merchandise to another world seemed unbelievably lame and put me off after watching the first two episodes. How much of the focus is on this? If it's more of a generic "in another world" anime with romance, I'll be more inclined to stick with it.

Based on blog feedback, as well as discussion with people at Aberanime, though, it seems the majority of people aren't watching the series I've chosen to follow, and vice versa. I think it's largely to do with me having skipped a lot of popular shows in the past that are now getting sequels, but the absence of Kyoukai no Kanata, Log Horizon and Strike the Blood from my list also seems to surprise people. :dontknow:

Kyoukai no Kanata is another one that didn't really hold my interest, mainly because I was disappointed that it just seemed to be another typical KyoAni offering, as opposed to something completely different when I read that it was going to be a fantasy series. I'll probably stick with it, though.

Putting aside Log Horizon as I've mentioned it before, Strike the Blood is pretty entertaining. It doesn't push the boundaries, but what it's aspiring to achieve, it does well. I can say the same of a similarly themed anime that's airing this season, Tokyo Ravens. It would appear that this is overlooked more than Strike the Blood, even though it's arguably better, in my opinion.

I occasionally plan ahead and set aside a day for anime marathons, sometimes even booking a day off work for it, but most of the time I can just about keep up with my weekly shows, occasionally watch a couple of eps of something older, and that's about all I have time for.

Yeah, normally I stick with my weeklies, but I always try to marathon something, even if it's an older anime that I've put aside for a long time.

Cara's on 9 months and a week - I think I'm closing the gap between our time spent on anime, though since she took about a year out, that's only to be expected. :giggle: I'll admit, I've not been checking out her blog posts that regularly either, though I am subscribed and get an email whenever she posts something. Seems she's blogging about Kyousougiga and Samurai Flamenco this season, and watching a lot of others besides those. :yes:

Yeah, she didn't have a stable internet connection in Australia, it would seem. Sad to see that she's inactive on here and has flocked to new online territories.

Original post by vin
So is the arc after fishman island in one piece finished? I feel like resuming it again.:redface:
EDIT: Oh there's that filler arc right after, I think I watched.:sad:
EDIT2: Oh it was just a recap in the next ep.:teeth:

So there's this island with a volcano on it.. nami explains why its dangerous and they cant go near.. but all she does is make it sound more attractive to luffy.:laugh:

...Did something happen to her boobs during the timeskip.:wtf:

I have to admit im once again not very into this season.:s-smilie: Not for any particular reason. But then Ive always only followed a handful of series.

Yeah, the island with the volcano is the beginning of the Punk Hazard arc that's about to finish. As always, it's pretty good. :smile:

Oh and I also finished Robotics;Notes.:yep: Which I thought was a very good series. :smile: Its all very plausable considering the prevalence of smart phones in current society. And the 3DS comes with some augmented reality cards.. but those you look at once when you get the thing and never use again.:erm:

Another anime I started watching and then postponed (around the part where the main character meets some holographic image of someone in the dark?). I should get back to it.

Well done.:yep:

I recently noticed I passed 8000 eps.:proud:

Congrats. :smile:
Original post by Aiko
Admittedly, I'm lagging behind on Golden Time (episode 2). Euge has told me on Skype that it's getting pretty good too, so I should play catch up. The same can be said of Nagi no Asukara. I suppose the romances are getting a raw deal this season from me. :tongue:

Golden Time is a really weird series. If it stuck to comedy, it'd probably be one of my favourites of the season, as few other ongoing series have gotten as many laughs out of me. Not so keen on the romance and drama, though - can't say I'm overly fond of Kaga Koko, and there's another plot twist surrounding Banri that I don't really know what to make of... I think the pacing is probably my main issue, it's just trying to cram too many things into each episode.

Nagi no Asukara is really growing on me now, it's definitely the better of the two for romance and drama. Wouldn't say it's anything special, but it makes for easy viewing. And the animation quality is spectacular. :biggrin:

How are you finding Outbreak Company? The whole premise of an ordinary 'otaku' main character bringing anime, manga and related merchandise to another world seemed unbelievably lame and put me off after watching the first two episodes. How much of the focus is on this? If it's more of a generic "in another world" anime with romance, I'll be more inclined to stick with it.

The focus of Outbreak Company is very much still on introducing moe to the masses of the generic fantasy world. I'm finding it quite unique, and some episodes have been hilarious. I like spotting the references to other anime and manga, too. Might not be the series for you if you're still averse to anything focusing on otaku culture, though. :p:

Kyoukai no Kanata is another one that didn't really hold my interest, mainly because I was disappointed that it just seemed to be another typical KyoAni offering, as opposed to something completely different when I read that it was going to be a fantasy series. I'll probably stick with it, though.

That was my main issue. Mirai seemed to be the definition of generic, KyoAni-brand moe blob, and I actually found the first episode cringeworthy. Not sure any amount of decent plot or action scenes could convince me to give it another shot. :no:

Putting aside Log Horizon as I've mentioned it before, Strike the Blood is pretty entertaining. It doesn't push the boundaries, but what it's aspiring to achieve, it does well. I can say the same of a similarly themed anime that's airing this season, Tokyo Ravens. It would appear that this is overlooked more than Strike the Blood, even though it's arguably better, in my opinion.

The only thing that stuck in my mind after the first episode of Strike the Blood was that one pantyshot that seemed to go on forever, later reappearing in a flashback scene. I don't know when that level of fanservice started bothering me, but it does now. Yet strangely, Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! is fine... I don't understand my own standards. :p:
Reply 6032
This new enemy in Hajime no Ippo has some issues. If he wasnt a boxer he might be some kind of psycho murderer.:s-smilie:

Spoiler

Good to see him training again.:yep:
Original post by vin
This new enemy in Hajime no Ippo has some issues. If he wasnt a boxer he might be some kind of psycho murderer.:s-smilie:

Spoiler

Good to see him training again.:yep:

also good to see

Spoiler

ive been rewatching the first series from the start a couple of days ago, its pretty rewatchable :coma:
Original post by Aiko
Among the Key adaptations, I've always preferred Air and Kanon over Clannad. Couldn't really get into Little Busters! either, but that's probably because J.C Staff were handling that one, as opposed to KyoAni.

Air is still my fave prob cos it was the first one i watched out of the 3 and first time getting them feels :cry2: for me its Air > Clannad > Kanon :yep:

downloaded the first season of Little Busters the other day but still hesitating about getting back to it and if its really worth watching to get to the better 2nd season :p:

also

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
So breast milk makes people powerful eh? :holmes:

Original post by eugenius 8
Air is still my fave prob cos it was the first one i watched out of the 3 and first time getting them feels :cry2: for me its Air > Clannad > Kanon :yep:

downloaded the first season of Little Busters the other day but still hesitating about getting back to it and if its really worth watching to get to the better 2nd season :p:

also

Spoiler

If you can hold off until the end of the season i'll let you know if watching the second season has been worth it :tongue:
Started my second Secret Santa series, Zero no Tsukaima F. It's been so long since I watched the third series that I've forgotten a lot of the backstory, but so far it's been easy enough to follow... though the series isn't exactly known for its complex plotlines. :p:

gota be my fave tune of the season :dance: gona put it as my ringtone :mmm:

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
So breast milk makes people powerful eh? :holmes:

If you can hold off until the end of the season i'll let you know if watching the second season has been worth it :tongue:

ok, cheers :wink:

:sexface:
I need a anime suggestions :holmes: looking for a new series to watch
Back in the day it was all Shaman King, Naruto and Bleach. These days it's more like Hellsing, Deadman Wonderland, Cowboy Bebop etc :holmes:

Give me your suggestions, I was thinking maybe FMA or Trigun or something :sly:
Hai guise, I recently watched the film Howl's moving castle thanks to a lovely TSR person I had round at mine and I thought it was pretty good despite not really liking a lot of anime stuff.

Just wanted to know if you guys knew any other films that are similar to it in regards to art style and just the general feel of it.

Thanks <3

Latest