The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ignore it.

The UK overwhelmingly benefits from immigration. Even if they did want to do something to reduce it, what would you propose? Leaving the EU would be madness.
Of course they will ignore it. As long as they are rich and happy, they dont care.
Reply 3
Original post by Ace123
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444985/150-000-say-no-to-EU-migrants-Daily-Express-readers-demand-block-on-migration-tidal-wave

The petition has passed 150,000 signatures in only 3 weeks. On the government epetition website you only have to get 100,000 in a year to go to Parliament.

Is it now time for Parliament to deal with this issue or will they just ignore it

Even with my limited political knowledge I can tell you that it's not a matter or decision of the UK parliament, the UK is in the EU so it has to abide by EU legislation
Reply 4
Bulgarian guy comes, works, pays tax which goes to the NHS and leaves before he is old enough to need to rely on the NHS alot. Its a win-win situation.

The only way they will "take our jobs" is if they are more efficient than us, and hey are, then they deserve our jobs!
Reply 5
Original post by member841230
Ignore it.

The UK overwhelmingly benefits from immigration. Even if they did want to do something to reduce it, what would you propose? Leaving the EU would be madness.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Figures based on 'errors, guesswork and oversight'. http://www.talkcarswell.com/home/immigration-and-dodgy-data/2735

Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Bulgarian guy comes, works, pays tax which goes to the NHS and leaves before he is old enough to need to rely on the NHS alot. Its a win-win situation.

The only way they will "take our jobs" is if they are more efficient than us, and hey are, then they deserve our jobs!

That's stupid. Nowhere else on earth is it an equal playing field, and we shouldn't feel obliged to make it one here. We should protect our own first and foremost. When there aren't any employable British people out of work, then let unskilled immigrants into the country.

Mass immigration was a Labour policy, they were wrong on that like they were wrong on education. It's due to their failure, over the twelve years they were in power, to teach children what they would need in the workplace and the skills our industry needed, that we have so many NEETs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ace123
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444985/150-000-say-no-to-EU-migrants-Daily-Express-readers-demand-block-on-migration-tidal-wave

The petition has passed 150,000 signatures in only 3 weeks. On the government epetition website you only have to get 100,000 in a year to go to Parliament.

Is it now time for Parliament to deal with this issue or will they just ignore it

Parliament will just ignore for the most part, it's under no obligation to discuss the issue.

Also, instead of having a petition about something you have no chance of achieving why don't you instead launch a petition to extend the waiting period for EU immigration to a decade from the current seven years.
Original post by Cal97g
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Figures based on 'errors, guesswork and oversight'. http://www.talkcarswell.com/home/immigration-and-dodgy-data/2735

I'm no economist or tax lawyer and am not qualified to assess immigrants' contribution in terms of taxes. Neither, incidentally, is Douglas Carswell.

I found it interesting that he focused solely on how much tax they pay. He neglected to address a range of other benefits, both economic (migrants' entrepreneurialism, as well as their role in addressing skill shortages and doing menial jobs locals can't be bothered with) and social (providing cultural diversity and balancing the UK's ageing population).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Cal97g

That's stupid. Nowhere else on earth is it an equal playing field, and we shouldn't feel obliged to make it one here. We should protect our own first and foremost. When there aren't any employable British people out of work, then let unskilled immigrants into the country.

Mass immigration was a Labour policy, they were wrong on that like they were wrong on education. It's due to their failure, over the twelve years they were in power, to teach children what they would need in the workplace and the skills our industry needed, that we have so many NEETs.

No employer in their right mind is going to let an "unskilled immigrant" work for them unless their good enough. Just got to face the facts, alot of British people dnt have the work ethic and we're not as clever as we think we are. Those that do and are will find employment.
Reply 9
Original post by member841230
I'm no economist or tax lawyer and am not qualified to assess immigrants' contribution in terms of taxes. Neither, incidentally, is Douglas Carswell.

I found it interesting that he focused solely on how much tax they pay. He neglected to address a range of other benefits, both economic (migrants' entrepreneurialism, as well as their role in addressing skill shortages and doing menial jobs locals can't be bothered with) and social (providing cultural diversity and balancing the UK's ageing population).

This idea that British people can't be arsed with certain jobs is:
A) Completely unfounded
B) Self hating - anybody who thinks this way is an idiot.
C) Ridiculous

If their 'entrepreneurialism' was as successful as you suggest, then they would be addressed in the taxation figures wouldn't they? Skilled labour in the form of doctors and more is the only type of immigration we should be allowing in this, the most overpopulated country in europe. I don't care if Olly Neville says 98% of land isn't developed - it's more like 99.5% of land in mainland europe.

No employer in their right mind is going to let an "unskilled immigrant" work for them unless their good enough. Just got to face the facts, alot of British people dnt have the work ethic and we're not as clever as we think we are. Those that do and are will find employment.

If you're better than a local for a job in France or Poland, it doesn't matter. You wont get it. I just don't agree with the idea that we should be taking the morale high ground in a situation which only benefits everybody who isn't us.
The whole petition thing is stupid. The average person knows too little about politics to really be able to know what the consequences of this will be. If someone made a petition that was like "Lower taxes for all!" I guarantee a bunch of people would sign it but without really thinking about the fact that actually we do need taxes!

150,000 is a lot, so maybe it should be discussed in parliament, but I certainly don't know enough about politics to know if it is a good idea or not, and I'd imagine even the most knowledgeable economists and politicians aren't able to predict accurately the consequences of this in 5, 10, 20, 50 years time.
Original post by Cal97g

Even if there are disadvantages to immigration, the positives still outweigh the negatives.
The coalition hasn't introduced any policies on teaching kids about skills they need in the workplace either.
Reply 12
Original post by cant_think_of_name
The whole petition thing is stupid. The average person knows too little about politics to really be able to know what the consequences of this will be. If someone made a petition that was like "Lower taxes for all!" I guarantee a bunch of people would sign it but without really thinking about the fact that actually we do need taxes!

150,000 is a lot, so maybe it should be discussed in parliament, but I certainly don't know enough about politics to know if it is a good idea or not, and I'd imagine even the most knowledgeable economists and politicians aren't able to predict accurately the consequences of this in 5, 10, 20, 50 years time.

That's democracy for you. However, in this I agree with the people. It doesn't matter what the facts are if there is a serious majority who don't want it.

I find the same thing happens with labour voters who are like six year olds with their parents credit-card linked iPads. They want everything but don't want to pay for anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cal97g
That's democracy for you. However, in this I agree with the people. It doesn't matter what the facts are if there is a serious majority who don't want it.

I find the same thing happens with labour voters who are like six year olds with their parents credit-card linked iPads. They want everything but don't want to pay for anything.

You really think that the uninformed masses should have all the power? :redface:

Democracy would be a wonderful thing but it would be a dreadful mistake if every major decision in this country was left down to a vote like this.

I guess the petition thing is a good way of raising awareness of issues, but what's popular is not always what's right...
Reply 14
Original post by cant_think_of_name
You really think that the uninformed masses should have all the power? :redface:

Democracy would be a wonderful thing but it would be a dreadful mistake if every major decision in this country was left down to a vote like this.

I guess the petition thing is a good way of raising awareness of issues, but what's popular is not always what's right...

No. I'm saying that in this situation, I think that the public happen to be right.
Original post by Cal97g
I know it isn't. I'm saying that in this situation, I think that the public happen to be right.

Oh right, fair enough. I don't really know enough about it to form a proper opinion, but I guess that's not the point of this thread. I guess that it probably is time for parliament to at least have a look at this petition
Reply 16

Bulgarian guy comes in, outcompetes a British person for a job that they could have done (perhaps not to quite the same standard) and ultimately results in an extra unemployed person in the country claiming various benefits. Even ignoring the "We are a country so should look out for each other first" argument, it makes sense to minimise the number of people needing state support.

Then our education system has failed our children. Your solution is to give up on them and bring in a load of immigrants to pay their benefits, rather than put the onus on employers to train our children up properly? Ideally the government would have provided proper training earlier on, but giving up on our kids should not be even considered.

Original post by pink pineapple
Even if there are disadvantages to immigration, the positives still outweigh the negatives.
The coalition hasn't introduced any policies on teaching kids about skills they need in the workplace either.

What positives are there? In some cases an immigrant will be able to do something no native can, but generally if they do get a job it'll be as the best (for example, by not insisting on rights that natives have fought to get over the generations) of several more than sufficiently capable candidates. This slight positive isn't worth putting a native on the dole for.

The other main positive of immigration spoken about is the diversity and cultural understanding argument. I think that is a valid goal, but currently we're taking in too many people and not spreading them around enough, resulting in ghettos where the immigrants basically pretend they're still in their home country yet get the benefits from our country. Many immigrants do integrate, of course, but we need to rethink how we do things and the EU chucking loads more at us before we can figure it out is not helping.
Reply 17

It's more like Bulgarian dude comes here with his family, his children use the school system free of charge + he gets tax credits because his working class salary is laughable + he get child benefits + he takes jobs away from British people because he has no dignity and can be abused on a daily basis for a minimum wage salary.

Theresa May, in the meantime, vows to crack down on international students (who are net contributors).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Cal97g

Apart from the rest of the EU?

Perhaps you're right, if they were right one education you'd know the difference between twelve and thirteen years.
Reply 19
Original post by CEKTOP
he takes jobs away from British people

Is he going to take away your job?

Latest

Trending

Trending