The Student Room Group

Muslim students at Queen Mary calling for a ‘right to pray’

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
I am just making sure that the SOC you're talking about, doesn't want to use it for ill means thats all. If its being used for a genuine reason thats all.

They have their reason for wanting the room as long as they can justify this to the UNI there will be no issue I agree (and they will be able to justify the use)

The ISOC want a room to pray in on a friday that hold everyone, thats what they've been working towards.

that's great and the UNI has to ensure all SOC are treated equally. So if a room is made available to one SOC it HAS to be made available to all, so the iSOC will have to share the resource.

as I said the resolution will not be the solution the iSOC wanted
Original post by PopaPork
So they should find or create their own space

they should not be making such demands of the UNI

but as I said this isn't going to solve the issue for them in fact they may end up looking really bad over this.

but as I said don't be surprised if they don't get their own way or what they are offered isn't what they wanted.

But as I said other SOCs are now watching to see how this pans out

They can't make their own space...........and again I have stated quite clearly that this problem happens during friday prayers and they are looking to book a hall for an hour, a hall which was always bookable before this academic year.

They have their reason for wanting the room as long as they can justify this to the UNI there will be no issue I agree (and they will be able to justify the use)

that's great and the UNI has to ensure all SOC are treated equally. So if a room is made available to one SOC it HAS to be made available to all, so the iSOC will have to share the resource.

as I said the resolution will not be the solution the iSOC wanted

The isoc already shares its resources, ISOC doesn't even have their own prayer room after the uni renegaded on a previous deal.

Yes all socs can book the room as long as the room hasn't been booked for the same hour by another society or by the university.
(edited 10 years ago)

The isoc already shares its resources, ISOC doesn't even have their own prayer room after the uni renegaded on a previous deal.

There is a shared space

again the iSOC refusing to use this just makes them look intolerant and stupid

as I have said it is not for the UNI to use it's resources to provide a dedicated prayer room for just Muslims to use

all rooms must be available to all SOC's

"ISoc and QMSU intend to, if Allah SWT wills, in the coming days resume direct, face to face, discussions with the university, who in their correspondence last week showed a great degree of willingness to accommodate for our religious needs. The university has verbally agreed that ISoc ought to be allowed to book either The Great Hall or The Octagon when either is vacant, and a timetable is currently being drawn up. We will, with the permission of Allah SWT and by His grace, come to a feasible solution in the very near future."

The statement alone shows that you're a bunch of extremists.

I can't wait to see other SOCs booking the rooms, and then you complaining that this is unfair and that Islam should be allowed to monopolise this space.
ISOC doesn't even have their own prayer room

Why should there be an Islamic prayer room? There should be multi-faith or nothing.

Students don't want to see one pushy, aggressive religion desecrating this temple of learning by turning it into a shabby mosque.
There is a shared space

again the iSOC refusing to use this just makes them look intolerant and stupid

as I have said it is not for the UNI to use it's resources to provide a dedicated prayer room for just Muslims to use

all rooms must be available to all SOC's

Actually they are using it.......and if you were reading my posts on this thread, you'd realise that there still isn't enough space and the uni was also forcibly trying to make us use less and less space with those rooms.

Original post by MostUncivilised
Why should there be an Islamic prayer room? There should be multi-faith or nothing.

Students don't want to see one pushy, aggressive religion desecrating this temple of learning by turning it into a shabby mosque.

Ask the university who agreed on the original agreement and then broke it.
And once again read the thread, cos your questions had already been debated by people.
Actually they are using it.......and if you were reading my posts on this thread, you'd realise that there still isn't enough space and the uni was also forcibly trying to make us use less and less space with those rooms.

Ask the university who agreed on the original agreement and then broke it.
And once again read the thread, cos your questions had already been debated by people.

Yes they broke it as they know that allowing 1 room for 1 faith alone will not be tolerated as it is unfair.

the UNI were simply acting before other groups took action against them for being discriminatory.

So we know why the UNI broke the original arrangement as they had no other choice.

Look the iSOC are not going to like the result of this regardless as they will be treated equally and that is something we know they do not want.
The statement alone shows that you're a bunch of extremists.

I can't wait to see other SOCs booking the rooms, and then you complaining that this is unfair and that Islam should be allowed to monopolise this space.

I know!

Other SOC's are already drafting uses for the rooms so when they do become available they can book them.

So if it pans out the iSOC will get to use the room 1 Friday a month

It'll be toys everywhere:biggrin:

So if it pans out the iSOC will get to use the room 1 Friday a month

If they manage just fine on the other three fridays, it will show they never really needed it and this was always about posturing and marking of territory.
Yes they broke it as they know that allowing 1 room for 1 faith alone will not be tolerated as it is unfair.

the UNI were simply acting before other groups took action against them for being discriminatory.

So we know why the UNI broke the original arrangement as they had no other choice.

Look the iSOC are not going to like the result of this regardless as they will be treated equally and that is something we know they do not want.

We actually don't know the real reasons behind it..........however to break a agreement in itself with consulting the other party is wrong.

Well good for you..........we'll see how things plan out on tuesday SU meeting.
If they manage just fine on the other three fridays, it will show they never really needed it and this was always about posturing and marking of territory.

I'll never happen as soon as the room becomes available and someone else books it they will simply start making demands again.

As we know they are to frightened and dishonest to say what they actually want (a room for the sole use of Muslims) so they play these games

but as we know the UNI are playing the game as well and it looks like the UNi and the other SOC's will win in the end:biggrin:
We actually don't know the real reasons behind it..........however to break a agreement in itself with consulting the other party is wrong.

Well good for you..........we'll see how things plan out on tuesday SU meeting.

But we do know the reason as we have friends at the UNI who were beginning to highlight this to the SU as being an issue.

Yes we will see on Tuesday

but as we know the UNI are playing the game as well and it looks like the UNi and the other SOC's will win in the end:biggrin:

Why do you want other socs to "win"? What's your stake or interest in this?
Reply 233
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yes they do. My uni provides three sports centres, sports classes (some of which are free if you live in halls) and funding for 43 different sports societies. Some unis offer degrees in sport science too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you live in halls is a massive caveat don't you think given that only a minutiae of the student population lives in halls especially from 2nd year onwards. It seems more like a marketing ploy to get people to live in halls tbh. Do they actually have free access to the gym or just to some classes?

The funding for sports team are generally not enough to cover the full fees involved with running sports teams. Pitches for matches and training, coaches, journey to matches, referees etc- in my experience, uni don't pay for this and the student have to cover the fees between themselves. As a result, joining a sports club at uni remains one of the most expensive things a student does. Whilst most society charge bare minimum-£5 (because they have to), sports clubs charge up to £70.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tpx
Why do you want other socs to "win"? What's your stake or interest in this?

We want the room to be available to all that is the goal and that is what we will win.

My stake is ensuring discrimination in the name of 'faith' isn't allowed to get a foot hold in UK education facilities.

that is in everyone's interest
Reply 235
The immaturity and spite displayed in the last few pages of this thread is astounding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Original post by finnthehuman
As a muslim, they should just go out and do it on the grass or something. as allah created the whole earth as prayer area. Saves all the BS.

Edit: Yay, I got rep stormed! But anyway, I am not saying it's bad to pray(I pray my prayers) but you'd rather burden yourself than burden others. If they say no, it's no.

You go gurlfwend. Am totally with what u said. I mean why protest againts the uni? If there is no space go somewhere else to pray, mile end has a fair share of mosques

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fungii
The immaturity and spite displayed in the last few pages of this thread is astounding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

care to explain?
Reply 238
care to explain?

Booking an area at a certain time out of necessity is fair enough. In such a case there should be an arbitrator to decide on the outcome if an agreement cannot be achieved by both parties.

But to go out of your way to prove a petulant point is down right pathetic in my opinion.

Your crusade against Islam is becoming odious to say the least.

Only my opinion. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fungii
Booking an area at a certain time out of necessity is fair enough. In such a case there should be an arbitrator to decide on the outcome if an agreement cannot be achieved by both parties.

But to go out of your way to prove a petulant point is down right pathetic in my opinion.

Your crusade against Islam is becoming odious to say the least.

Only my opinion. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's OK

but if you don't ensure equality in this aspect then you want a world where inequality is the Norm

We fight against this so yes I do expect those who support inequality to believe I an odious

thank god we live in a world though where people like me do fight for equality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending