The Student Room Group

Is Southampton University a good uni?

I really like the uni and the Geography course. However whenever I tell people its my 1st choice they say to me: HUH? is that a uni? never heard of it? Is it good? and when I tell them its a Russel Group they say never, must be a really low one. Am just like okay?? Am still going but am scared that it wont be good as going to Kings; apparently their reputation is just soo good but tbh the course does not seem cute.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Those people must be living in a cave, because it's a very very good university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Southampton is an excellent uni and is in the Russell Group.

For some reason it gets talked about less than other comparable unis but it is still excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121
I really like the uni and the Geography course. However whenever I tell people its my 1st choice they say to me: HUH? is that a uni? never heard of it? Is it good? and when I tell them its a Russel Group they say never, must be a really low one. Am just like okay?? Am still going but am scared that it wont be good as going to Kings; apparently their reputation is just soo good but tbh the course does not seem cute.

Southampton is strong in geography because that is where the Ordnance Survey lives
Southampton's good; I personally would rate it above King's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a world top 75 uni.. That should solve your dilemma (:

Sent from my iPhone
Probably the best university for STEM degrees outside of Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge. Maybe not the mathematics part of STEM, but the STE part of it.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Probably the best university for STEM degrees outside of Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge. Maybe not the mathematics part of STEM, but the STE part of it.

Not mathematics! 😱...what a shame 😒...I've applied for math and actuarial science at Southampton...

Obviously, I don't expect it to be as good as Oxbridge for math, but I don't think it's far behind Oxbridge, Imperial and Durham for math, or is it?

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 8
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
Not mathematics! ...what a shame ...I've applied for math and actuarial science at Southampton...

Obviously, I don't expect it to be as good as Oxbridge for math, but I don't think it's far behind Oxbridge, Imperial and Durham for math, or is it?

Sent from my iPhone

It's considerably behind Oxbridge and Imperial for maths.
Original post by Caedus
It's considerably behind Oxbridge and Imperial for maths.

That's reasonable...

Sent from my iPhone
Original post by lala121

SOuthampton is good but Kings is better +they both have the same entry requirements of AAB!

Original post by yl95
Southampton's good; I personally would rate it above King's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What KCL has much better departments and academics than Southampton, Kings were rated #19th in the world (QS world ranking)
Reply 11
That's reasonable...

Sent from my iPhone

My cousin who's reading Maths at a similar RG university (Leeds) is friends with a fellow from Cambridge, both compared notes and discovered, rather unsurprisingly, that the Leeds BSc is far easier than Part I & Part II of the Cambridge Mathematical Tripos.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lala121
I really like the uni and the Geography course. However whenever I tell people its my 1st choice they say to me: HUH? is that a uni? never heard of it? Is it good? and when I tell them its a Russel Group they say never, must be a really low one. Am just like okay?? Am still going but am scared that it wont be good as going to Kings; apparently their reputation is just so good but tbh the course does not seem cute.

Southampton is a very good university I actually had an interview for a Job in the geography department (I didn't get it) But I got a tour and the facilities are great some of the equipment you won't have anywhere in the UK for quite a few years I highly recommend it just on those grounds.

Then there is Southampton the town i'm not going to go on like I have in other threads but suffice to say with two universitys in the city it's very student focused which of course means lots good times.
It's a good university, better than Kings overall certainly, your friends don't know what they're talking about :p:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
It's a good university, better than Kings overall certainly, your friends don't know what they're talking about :p:

Good uni, no doubt; better than KCL; I seriously doubt that 😌

Sent from my iPhone
Good uni, no doubt; better than KCL; I seriously doubt that 😌

Sent from my iPhone

You're probably an international that thinks Kings is the greatest because it's in London and is Kings, trust me, Soton is better, any domestic student will tell you that. And if you're not an international, you have no excuse :p:
Original post by Henry_Tudor
SOuthampton is good but Kings is better +they both have the same entry requirements of AAB!

What KCL has much better departments and academics than Southampton, Kings were rated #19th in the world (QS world ranking)

Lol, people use entry requirements to rank universities and take world rankings seriously?...
Original post by yl95
Lol, people use entry requirements to rank universities and take world rankings seriously?...

Ikr!! What has the world come to 😱😱😱😮😮...:O

Sent from my iPhone
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
You're probably an international that thinks Kings is the greatest because it's in London and is Kings, trust me, Soton is better, any domestic student will tell you that. And if you're not an international, you have no excuse :p:

You're right, I'm an international. Probably so, but going by the league tables, links with industry and the university's reputation in general, few people would disagree with what I had to say. Tbh, I'd more than happy if Southampton was better than KCL a after all, cos that's one of the universities I've applied to (and KCL isn't :P 😋)...

Sent from my iPhone
You're right, I'm an international. Probably so, but going by the league tables, links with industry and the university's reputation in general, few people would disagree with what I had to say. Tbh, I'd more than happy if Southampton was better than KCL a after all, cos that's one of the universities I've applied to (and KCL isn't :P )...

Sent from my iPhone

Going by league table and industry links... Soton still wins, sure the universities general reputation of Kings is held in greater esteem across the world, but that doesn't actually matter at all when you want a great graduate job! Haha, that's good then I guess! :smile: Soton is strong, what are your other choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending