The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I read somewhere that since the appearance of John Hurt's character, all the regeneration cycles have now been used up - remember, David Tennant's Doctor had another regeneration after he was exterminated in the final episode with Catherine Tate.

So how is Peter Capaldi's Doctor making it in? Have the regeneration cycles limit been scrapped?

Also John Hurt's character was seen regenerating in the 50th anniversary... but weren't all the regenerations used up?

Or maybe something happens around the parallel world Doctor and Rose... maybe the Doctor comes back with just 1 heart? Part timelord, part human?

Or is there something going on with the Doctor's daughter? - In the David Tennant era episode, they thought she had died at the end yet she appeared to regenerate and come back to life.

All very confusing and a lot of strands here that need to have an ending!
gah, fecking internet, accidentally voted wrong in the poll :frown:

50th anniversary was AWESOME :biggrin:

Spoiler

anyone can explain to me how the all the doctor (especially the classic doctors before tennant's doctor) even know that they have to calculate how to move gallifrey?

did the doctors travel back in time to inform them? did their tardis told them?
Original post by 2scotty
I read somewhere that since the appearance of John Hurt's character, all the regeneration cycles have now been used up - remember, David Tennant's Doctor had another regeneration after he was exterminated in the final episode with Catherine Tate.

pretty sure that one didn't count? he didn't actually have a full regeneration as such in the end so I don't know it does tbh.

also when River gives up her regeneration's, would that not potentially give the doctor more as well for all we know? I reckon that it may have done and we will find that out later on myself.

I'm not sure that John Hurt counted as an incarnation either cause he was a "forced" one through that potion that McGann drank so it may be that it gave him a freebie as it where.
Original post by SciFiRory
pretty sure that one didn't count? he didn't actually have a full regeneration as such in the end so I don't know it does tbh.

also when River gives up her regeneration's, would that not potentially give the doctor more as well for all we know? I reckon that it may have done and we will find that out later on myself.

I'm not sure that John Hurt counted as an incarnation either cause he was a "forced" one through that potion that McGann drank so it may be that it gave him a freebie as it where.

Well apparently...

1st - William Hartnell
2nd - Patrick Troughton
3rd - Jon Pertwee
4th - Tom Baker
5th - Peter Davidson
6th - Colin Baker
7th - Sylvester McCoy
8th - Paul McGann
9th - John Hurt
10th - Christopher Eccleston
11th - David Tennant
12th - David Tennant
13th - Matt Smith
14th - regenerations over!

Sorry, I know it's the Daily Mail but... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2513145/Doctor-Who-regeneration-riddle-solved-Christmas-special-Matt-Smith-revealed-13th-LAST-Time-Lord.html

Plus they keep going on about Trenzalore and the Doctor's death - as if it'd be happening soon.
Original post by 2scotty
Well apparently...

1st - William Hartnell
2nd - Patrick Troughton
3rd - Jon Pertwee
4th - Tom Baker
5th - Peter Davidson
6th - Colin Baker
7th - Sylvester McCoy
8th - Paul McGann
9th - John Hurt
11th - David Tennant
12th - David Tennant
13th - Matt Smith

Sorry, I know it's the Daily Mail but... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2513145/Doctor-Who-regeneration-riddle-solved-Christmas-special-Matt-Smith-revealed-13th-LAST-Time-Lord.html

But that's counting the creation of the DoctorDonna as a regeneration, when it was established that it wasn't a regeneration, he stopped the process by diverting the energy into his old hand. So Capaldi is the 13th.

Then there are two big things: 1) River gave him all her remaining regenerations to save his life - possibly meaning he has extra regenerations now; 2) the limit of 13 regenerations was imposed by the Timelords - suggesting that now the Timelords are no longer around (or hidden away in a frozen pocket universe!) the Doctor could simply choose to regenerate again as many times as he likes. And Moffat has referred to the Doctor basically being immortal now in interviews.
Original post by Feefifofum
But that's counting the creation of the DoctorDonna as a regeneration, when it was established that it wasn't a regeneration, he stopped the process by diverting the energy into his old hand. So Capaldi is the 13th.

Then there are two big things: 1) River gave him all her remaining regenerations to save his life - possibly meaning he has extra regenerations now; 2) the limit of 13 regenerations was imposed by the Timelords - suggesting that now the Timelords are no longer around (or hidden away in a frozen pocket universe!) the Doctor could simply choose to regenerate again as many times as he likes. And Moffat has referred to the Doctor basically being immortal now in interviews.

Ok. I don't like Moffat. Odd how in the 50th year anniversary special he just left Billie Piper as a different character.
Original post by 2scotty
Plus they keep going on about Trenzalore and the Doctor's death - as if it'd be happening soon.

Did you watch the trailer for the Christmas episode? You should! :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by 2scotty
Well apparently...

1st - William Hartnell
2nd - Patrick Troughton
3rd - Jon Pertwee
4th - Tom Baker
5th - Peter Davidson
6th - Colin Baker
7th - Sylvester McCoy
8th - Paul McGann
9th - John Hurt
11th - David Tennant
12th - David Tennant
13th - Matt Smith

as usual I have no interest in what the Daily Mail thinks, the paper that supported fascism and that is the most sewer bound of the gutter rags, it's not a credible source for anything other than turd.

Original post by 2scotty

yeah but they foreshadowed Tennant's death heavily and that was just a regeneration, I really don't think it's going to be a case of Matt Smith being the last one, especially as we already know Capaldi is next :tongue:
as usual I have no interest in what the Daily Mail thinks, the paper that supported fascism and that is the most sewer bound of the gutter rags, it's not a credible source for anything other than turd.

yeah but they foreshadowed Tennant's death heavily and that was just a regeneration, I really don't think it's going to be a case of Matt Smith being the last one, especially as we already know Capaldi is next :tongue:

I know Capaldi is next, but I mean I was wondering if it was going to be a different way... Like maybe Matt Smith (13?) gets killed off, and Hurt's doctor regenerates into Capaldi - the reason why he was generating in the 50th?

Something is going to happen with Trenzalore death/Hurt's regeneration... I know it!

Also... "Silence will fall" - the "Silence" are back at Christmas, and I think it'll also have something to do with the whole astronaut/11th Doctor getting shot in front of Rory, Amy and River too. Maybe something will come out of that?

It's so confusing since Moffat became head writer!
Original post by 2scotty
I know Capaldi is next, but I mean I was wondering if it was going to be a different way... Like maybe Matt Smith (13?) gets killed off, and Hurt's doctor regenerates into Capaldi - the reason why he was generating in the 50th?

Something is going to happen with Trenzalore death/Hurt's regeneration... I know it!

Also... "Silence will fall" - the "Silence" are back at Christmas, and I think it'll also have something to do with the whole astronaut/11th Doctor getting shot in front of Rory, Amy and River too. Maybe something will come out of that?

Hurt regenerated into Eccleston. You could see his face through the golden light.
Hurt regenerated into Eccleston. You could see his face through the golden light.

Where? This is the final frame of Hurt's Doctor...

[video="youtube;VHnAnBmEbcc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHnAnBmEbcc[/video]
Did you watch the trailer for the Christmas episode? You should! :wink:

Spoiler

Trenzalore is both the end of the Doctor and the fall of the 11th. We know this because Dorian said that it was the fall of the 11th that the question was asked and we know from the last two episodes that he also dies full stop there. This Christmas is simply the fall of the 11th.
Original post by 2scotty

If you look carefully it is clearly Christopher Ecclestons Eyes and forehead before it cuts away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's Chris Ec. When Hurt started his regen I so expected to see Nine. Bit annoyed that he didnt want to turn up even for a day so that regeneration could be done properly but whatever. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2scotty

Yeah - can't you see Eccleston there? Look at the still you posted. It's his eyes and forehead , with Hurt's mouth.

Original post by Rakas21
Trenzalore is both the end of the Doctor and the fall of the 11th. We know this because Dorian said that it was the fall of the 11th that the question was asked and we know from the last two episodes that he also dies full stop there. This Christmas is simply the fall of the 11th.

Hmmmm. Not convinced. According to that the 11th goes to Trenzalore AGAIN, falls there and regenerates into Capaldi, who goes off... only to return later either in his new form or a later regeneration to permanently die there. Bit convoluted, even for Moffat.
Original post by 2scotty

see quote/reply to Raskas

I don't think Hurt regenerates into Capaldi but you never know with Doctor Who these days haha! be an interesting twist but I can't see it myself :tongue:

I thought they already explained all that? (unless my mind is utterly mangled by things lol)

the silence I think will be how the 11th dies, not sure if the Great intelligence is now sorted with Clara having gone into the time stream with him or not either though

Original post by Rakas21

this pretty much, the fact it refers to the 11th also makes me think that both Hurt's doctor and the first Tennant regeneration didn't count like I said, otherwise he wouldn't be the 11th, he would be the 12th or 13th.
I took a crap picture on my phone, but I couldn't NOT post this.

Playing Dead Rising 3 on the Xbox One, I came across a survivor named Simon Whoovle who said he'd seen the future and predicted the zombie outbreak. When Nick enquires how he managed this, he replies, "tarot cards of course! What did you expect, I used some sort of time-travel device or used a phone box to call the future?!"

Hard to see, I'll agree, in this picture, but his appearance is quite similar to a certain person relevant in this thread.
Original post by Mr.Messy
Yeah that's Chris Ec. When Hurt started his regen I so expected to see Nine. Bit annoyed that he didnt want to turn up even for a day so that regeneration could be done properly but whatever. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

considering how much ecceclston fell out with the BBC im not surprised he didnt show up,

i am wondering though, did he show up or did they just use a voice clip from one of his episodes?

anyway my thought

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest