The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ptah
Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while and decided to create an account. I am a computer science applicant (international, not in EU) to Worcester College. I believe that my application is fairly strong and I feel really confident about my MAT performance (could be in the 80s).

However, I am yet to be contacted for an interview and considering that someone on this thread already got offered one from Worcester, I am starting to get uneasy. I know that it is still early but I would like to know if anyone feels that they have a good chance of getting an interview but have not been contacted yet.

Hey! I'm an international applicant too and I haven't been contacted yet either. :smile: I don't think you need to worry about it. You can check the Facebook page of your college. Most of them are posting statuses after they are done with a subject. So you could check that to make sure that there's no problem with your application . Good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How's your preparation for the boards going? I'm spending a shameful amount of time on TSR :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1662
Original post by revelry26
How's your preparation for the boards going? I'm spending a shameful amount of time on TSR :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Horrible, just horrible! I'm spending hours on TSR every day as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
Horrible, just horrible! I'm spending hours on TSR every day as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to know I'm not the only one :P when do your boards start?
Reply 1664
Original post by revelry26
Glad to know I'm not the only one :P when do your boards start?

March, so I still have a bit of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine start in the last week of February so pretty much the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1666
Thank you both. I could not find a legit Facebook page of Worcester College so I will have to exercise more patience. I guess you are from India, a country of cutthroat competition. Good luck.
Right, I'm curious to know what Oxford's attitude towards gap year students studying at another university is. I emailed them and they said i was welcome to reapply for the first year, altho by that time I would have finished the first year at Warwick. A friend of mine told me I shouldn't bother reapplying, as you'd expect to get a straight rejection, is this true? Thanks for the help, and I found the Mat paper went well. I'm expecting 80+, but I suppose they are stricter towards people who've spent the year doing maths.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1668
Original post by NewtonsApple
Right, I'm curious to know what Oxford's attitude towards gap year students studying at another university is. I emailed them and they said i was welcome to reapply for the first year, altho by that time I would have finished the first year at Warwick. A friend of mine told me I shouldn't bother reapplying, as you'd expect to get a straight rejection, is this true? Thanks for the help, and I found the Mat paper went well. I'm expecting 80+, but I suppose they are stricter towards people who've spent the year doing maths.

They categorically won't let you go into second year, if that's what you want to do.
Original post by Noble.
They categorically won't let you go into second year, if that's what you want to do.

No. I reapplied for the first year.
Good luck in the following week guys! (I'm really stressed sigh)

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'd expect you to do a bit better than an A Level student on the MAT, as you would have had an extra year of Maths education. But it wouldn't be a huge amount more. (There's no hard and fast rule - the tutors look at each candidate individually.) The important thing is that people in this situation are honest about it on the application form.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
We'd expect you to do a bit better than an A Level student on the MAT, as you would have had an extra year of Maths education. But it wouldn't be a huge amount more. (There's no hard and fast rule - the tutors look at each candidate individually.) The important thing is that people in this situation are honest about it on the application form.

Ok that's really helpful, thanks. I did mention on my personal statement that I am currently studying at Warwick. Would this be sufficient, or should I contact the maths department to clarify my situation as a first year student? Also, I'm applying for straight maths, but Im guessing the same holds true for maths and CS? Thank you for the help
Ok that's really helpful, thanks. I did mention on my personal statement that I am currently studying at Warwick. Would this be sufficient, or should I contact the maths department to clarify my situation as a first year student? Also, I'm applying for straight maths, but Im guessing the same holds true for maths and CS? Thank you for the help

That should be fine. The important thing is that the info is in there - the tutors will find it.
Just a heads up for all the people who are panicking about not having heard whether they've got an interview or not -- a lot of colleges are still deciding who to interview. Most colleges are aiming to let Maths and joint school applicants know next week. You will hear one way or the other, so if you haven't heard don't worry, it's probably just the college being slow.
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
Just a heads up for all the people who are panicking about not having heard whether they've got an interview or not -- a lot of colleges are still deciding who to interview. Most colleges are aiming to let Maths and joint school applicants know next week. You will hear one way or the other, so if you haven't heard don't worry, it's probably just the college being slow.

So if we still haven't heard from oxford does it mean that we're kinda border line a applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haydenkwangl
So if we still haven't heard from oxford does it mean that we're kinda border line a applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it means your college hasn't decided who to interview yet. It's much easier from a logistics point of view if a college knows that all the Maths and joint schools applicants have been decided on, rather than them coming in piecemeal.
Original post by haydenkwangl

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just thinking that too! Thank goodness for that- I may be borderline but at least its not for certain now according to the post above
(edited 10 years ago)
Anybody heard anything from St. Edmund Hall?
Anyone heard from queen's for maths yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending