The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CEKTOP
Such commas look like a matter of personal preference to me, as I've seen them many times in sources written by esteemed scholars.

Ahhh, I was taught never to put it before and unless is was separating the name of something i.e. Wilkinsons, and Marks and Spencer :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by lolzzzic
I first received a two weeks email and after a week I received the five weeks email. Today should be the end of the five weeks but I received an offer just last week. I nearly had an heart attack as I was anticipating a rejection!

But don't worry too much! I'm sure LSE will get back to you as soon as possible! (I do understand that the wait is excruciating:frown:)

Is this for Law - if so, what kind of grades do you have?

Major congratulations!
Any Gov&Econ offer holders yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey IR applicants...I know quite a few people were worried about not getting a response from LSE in the allotted time, but I emailed them after 7 weeks of waiting for the '5-week email' and was told that they had in fact emailed me on the 28th of October (within the 2 weeks) and that I may not have received it due to an issue on their end.

THANK GOD. I was seriously stressing waiting for it, but if anyone is still waiting, I suggest emailing them because the admissions tutor was very helpful and friendly :smile:

I now have to wait 5-7 weeks (from the 28th of Oct) so hopefully I'll hear from them in mid-December :s-smilie:
Anybody been accepted/rejected for straight economics?
Original post by norah_bellefleur
Hey IR applicants...I know quite a few people were worried about not getting a response from LSE in the allotted time, but I emailed them after 7 weeks of waiting for the '5-week email' and was told that they had in fact emailed me on the 28th of October (within the 2 weeks) and that I may not have received it due to an issue on their end.

THANK GOD. I was seriously stressing waiting for it, but if anyone is still waiting, I suggest emailing them because the admissions tutor was very helpful and friendly :smile:

I now have to wait 5-7 weeks (from the 28th of Oct) so hopefully I'll hear from them in mid-December :s-smilie:

Did you apply for IR or IR and history? Have you heard of anyone already receiving offers? Apart from one girl who recently posted (who I PMed but hasn't gotten back to me) a rejection, there's been no talk of IR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silonthesofa
Did you apply for IR or IR and history? Have you heard of anyone already receiving offers? Apart from one girl who recently posted (who I PMed but hasn't gotten back to me) a rejection, there's been no talk of IR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't heard of any offers, I just know a few people on tsr, including myself, were still waiting on the 5-week email...apparently the IR department usually takes a very long time to start giving out its main batch of offers so I'm guessing we'll have while to wait yet :/
Original post by norah_bellefleur
I haven't heard of any offers, I just know a few people on tsr, including myself, were still waiting on the 5-week email...apparently the IR department usually takes a very long time to start giving out its main batch of offers so I'm guessing we'll have while to wait yet :/

I'm an IR applicant. Also still waiting on the 5 weeks email but have been told by my head of sixth form to NOT email them. Since I haven't been rejected I'm guessing they've sent it and that I just haven't received it. Just debating whether to email them or not. And I've heard that they don't start giving a good amount of offers til jan-march

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alwaysannoyed
I'm an IR applicant. Also still waiting on the 5 weeks email but have been told by my head of sixth form to NOT email them. Since I haven't been rejected I'm guessing they've sent it and that I just haven't received it. Just debating whether to email them or not. And I've heard that they don't start giving a good amount of offers til jan-march

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where else have you applied? I applied for both IR and IR and history at LSE, IR and international politics at kings, and IR at queen Mary. Think they have similar offer policies??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where else have you applied? I applied for both IR and IR and history at LSE, IR and international politics at kings, and IR at queen Mary. Think they have similar offer policies??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for IR at LSE and Kings. IR & politics at York and Kent and PPE at Oxford (more of a family request). I have offers from York and Kent as they don't take long - York will be my insurance (Kent was in case a messed up really badly this year).

Queen Mary's should take the least amount of time. Kings usually say 6 weeks but take longer. In any case I predict you'll hear from qm first, then kings and then LSE.

Which one are you most keen on? I'm really hoping for kings IR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paperclip345
Whereabouts did you live, are you in the UK now? And congrats on Warwick! What subject did you apply for? Well LSE sent me the questionnaire on 11th November and I sent it back to them about 5 days later. Then the next week they asked me to post them a copy of my passport, and then eventually last friday they told me I had home status. Have they let you know yet?

Thanks. Congrats to you too!
Came back to london for sixth form! So 2 years! Filled out the Warwick questionnaire and gonna send it off tomorrow :smile: if you were ok, i should be too hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for IR at LSE and Kings. IR & politics at York and Kent and PPE at Oxford (more of a family request). I have offers from York and Kent as they don't take long - York will be my insurance (Kent was in case a messed up really badly this year).

Queen Mary's should take the least amount of time. Kings usually say 6 weeks but take longer. In any case I predict you'll hear from qm first, then kings and then LSE.

Which one are you most keen on? I'm really hoping for kings IR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE IR and history would be a godsend. My grades are just slightly under the required as of right now (international and mature). For Israeli qualifications they require an average of 90% with at least three subjects at 5 units (out of 5). I have two subjects at 5 units and an 89% average, but that's because I messed up my math and it counts heavily against me because it's at 4 units. But I have a very strong PS and recommendation and I've mentioned I'm retaking the English 5 units (can do better) and expanding my French from 3 units (where I already have 94) to 5 units and adding a whole new 5 units in Middle Eastern studies. And of course have a 91 in 5 units history and also a 96 in civics. So we shall see what happens. But there's almost no info on Israeli applicants. Like, 2 undergrad in the entire school. Kings and QM aren't any better, so we shall see. Worries me that LSE and QM are known as the two most pro Palestinian schools in the UK, and how that may have an inherent bias against my application. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2152
Nope. I'm in my 4th week of the 5 week email thing and I haven't heard a thing..
Original post by Matrix.
Has anyone here got actuarial science offer? What are ur predicted grade, achieved grades and when did u send off ur application? four weeks into my five week now.
Reply 2153
Oh wow!! Congrats!! I've also applied to actuarial science and I'm in my 4th week... :s-smilie: How far were you into your 5 week email?
Original post by Walteryeung
I have received offer from LSE. Actuarial science. Condition AA, cos I got A* in al maths last year.
LSE IR and history would be a godsend. My grades are just slightly under the required as of right now (international and mature). For Israeli qualifications they require an average of 90% with at least three subjects at 5 units (out of 5). I have two subjects at 5 units and an 89% average, but that's because I messed up my math and it counts heavily against me because it's at 4 units. But I have a very strong PS and recommendation and I've mentioned I'm retaking the English 5 units (can do better) and expanding my French from 3 units (where I already have 94) to 5 units and adding a whole new 5 units in Middle Eastern studies. And of course have a 91 in 5 units history and also a 96 in civics. So we shall see what happens. But there's almost no info on Israeli applicants. Like, 2 undergrad in the entire school. Kings and QM aren't any better, so we shall see. Worries me that LSE and QM are known as the two most pro Palestinian schools in the UK, and how that may have an inherent bias against my application. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that it is interesting. I originally very briefly mentioned Israel (even though the point I was making was actually about Angela merkel) in my PS and my Head of Sixth Form immediately made me delete it (even though he's Israeli) because he was afraid that a strongly opinionated tutor might assess it and reject me for it. However, knowing england they are meant to be VERY objective when it comes to these things. Especially when it comes to this degree - they should understand the delicacy of the matter and not judge you based on where you're from. LSE also really like international applicants so I think that with those grades you have a good chance. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that it is interesting. I originally very briefly mentioned Israel (even though the point I was making was actually about Angela merkel) in my PS and my Head of Sixth Form immediately made me delete it (even though he's Israeli) because he was afraid that a strongly opinionated tutor might assess it and reject me for it. However, knowing england they are meant to be VERY objective when it comes to these things. Especially when it comes to this degree - they should understand the delicacy of the matter and not judge you based on where you're from. LSE also really like international applicants so I think that with those grades you have a good chance. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it was a very neutral PS as far as it came to discussing Israel. Only that I'm looking to contribute to the finding of a peaceful resolution. I mean, the only thing apart from just actually being Israeli is that I mentioned representing Israel internationally, which is a perfectly valid thing to say as Israel IS a country but perhaps a diehard anti Zionist would think otherwise. ... But I have faith in my application.
A friend of mine was just rejected for law to LSE and Oxford. His scores are the best I've ever seen. Something like a 96% average with 98s and 99s in 6 5 unit courses. LSE said his PS was too weak. Oxford said he didn't do well on the LNAT, so perhaps that's true.
There's another girl I know who's applying for medicine. Stunning beyond stunning grades, like his. Even better maybe, as it shows excellence on science, language, and art. With a year of relevant experience and a truly outstanding PS. So should she be rejected, clearly something is far fetched.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2156
Original post by lolzzzic
Thanks :smile: I applied for law. I probably will go to LSE since I have a strong feeling that I've bombed LNAT. and Oxford has started to give out interview invitations...

hey congrats! i'm currently on week 5 of my wait and am really hoping to get a reply from LSE by the end of this week…
do you actually know if LSE pays attention to the LNAT scores at all? i know they don't require the scores, but if the applicant has taken the test, is the score provided to LSE? i got an interview from oxford so i'm thinking i couldn't have completely bombed it and that maybe the scores could help me for LSE :P
if anyone else knows the answer to this question, please feel free to reply! thanks
Reply 2157
Hey guys, the grades here are so impressive! Can anyone give me an honest opinion regarding my application? Here's a summary;
ABBB Maths Econ Physics Geog,
A*AAA predictions, dropped geog to self teach further maths in year 13,
School is 480th out of 491 in terms of league tables, nobody has ever left with AAA etc
I have outstanding extra-curriculars, work experience in canary wharf investment bank/a huge amount of reading around things like game theory and mathematics for economics and finance.
Personal statement is also really strong, LSE has always been the dream but of course my poor grades are going to reflect badly on my application, what do you guys reckon? Applying for maths with econ + maths AND econ, twice at LSE.
Cheers for any feedback ^^
Original post by Jak610
Hey guys, the grades here are so impressive! Can anyone give me an honest opinion regarding my application? Here's a summary;
ABBB Maths Econ Physics Geog,
A*AAA predictions, dropped geog to self teach further maths in year 13,
School is 480th out of 491 in terms of league tables, nobody has ever left with AAA etc
I have outstanding extra-curriculars, work experience in canary wharf investment bank/a huge amount of reading around things like game theory and mathematics for economics and finance.
Personal statement is also really strong, LSE has always been the dream but of course my poor grades are going to reflect badly on my application, what do you guys reckon? Applying for maths with econ + maths AND econ, twice at LSE.
Cheers for any feedback ^^

I'm not sure at how they weight grades to school however I think you do have a decent chance as nobody leaving with an AAA seems unreal.
Reply 2159
Original post by Dilzo999
I'm not sure at how they weight grades to school however I think you do have a decent chance as nobody leaving with an AAA seems unreal.

Of course, they may totally overlook that fact - just putting into context how poor the school is ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending