The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinkles1986
They have checked Junk folders and still not there. Annoyed that i was ready so early and now i am delayed because of this.

Same here…I wanted this sent off asap as I missed the deadline last year so already feel like I've wasted a year and now it's being delayed because of third parties who don't really have any reason to be bothered by this where as we're all stressing and wanting to get it sent off…boo!
Original post by Twinkles1986
They have checked Junk folders and still not there. Annoyed that i was ready so early and now i am delayed because of this.

Original post by espeight11
Same here…I wanted this sent off asap as I missed the deadline last year so already feel like I've wasted a year and now it's being delayed because of third parties who don't really have any reason to be bothered by this where as we're all stressing and wanting to get it sent off…boo!

I would definitely contact UCAS...
Reply 1802
YES!!!!!! at last both referees have at least acknowledged and accepted the invite as my reference. I was worried because I had sent an initial email to let them both know I had applied through UCAS and they might want to check their junk folders. Considering both confirmed they'd received the email, my worry was why they hadn't accepted being my referee!!

At long last they have both accepted! Good luck everyone else. I will not pester my referees now, the hard part is over, now it is over to them!
Original post by Airfairy
Thanks for this post- makes me feel better about it. I know how large the numbers are. I think I've convinced myself I'm not going to get a place so much that I won't be too upset because I'm expecting it. I think this is good for me though, it means I'm planning what to do until applying next year, and if I get a place it will be a great surprise. It's just the way my mind operates XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is how I have been looking at it too. I will still be gutted if I don't get a place, but have a plan for if I don't at the same time. Makes me a lot calmer about the whole situation.
Original post by kniamh
I'm in Abu Dhabi! You? I've never even considered my application being thought of as an international one..I hope it's not! :confused: I doubt it will though..I just really want to get started on it. :smile:

I'm in Spain. I sent mine off fine today and nothing happened. Good luck with yours! :smile:
Reply 1805
Original post by gwclark_90
Am applying, have completed my personal statement.

Under the 'School and Work Experience', are they asking only for relevant experience ie time in schools etc? Or do I need to include all positions I've held since leaving university?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Put everything you have room for. If you have lots of different work/experience then you might find you don't have room to list it all, in which case choose the most relevant :smile:

Original post by Deja Vu

Also, I understand and agree with your second bit. I doubt most unis will close applications dead on next Thursday even if that is the minimum time. I don't see what they'd gain. Obviously it's better to be safe than sorry, but either way, it's still over a week away yet. Really no need for panicking.

I sent my application off to my references on Thursday night. One of my references had submitted his reference by 8:05am on Friday morning, the other has accepted it and not done anything since. I haven't got in touch -- they obviously got the e-mail as they have accepted the request, so I'm just waiting for them to submit it. I won't be pestering until maybe Thursday or Friday. I am hoping that it will be done before Friday, but not because I am worried about applications closing. I am just aware that the sooner it gets sent off, the sooner the unis will receive it, and the sooner I will receive an offer or rejection (within 40 working days). That's the only reason I want it sent off, really.

Re: the bold, I think the only real reason any unis would close before they are full would be if they have too many applications. As you mention they have a limit on the time they can take to reply. If they have so many applications that they wouldn't have time to reply within that limit then they have no choice but to close, otherwise they'd break the limit! They'd then re-open when they'd processed enough to allow them to get more done within the limit.

Whether this will actually happen lots I don't know... it depends if the fact there are three options vastly increases the number of applications or not. If most people, for example, choose to apply to different options with the same uni then they have one uni interview. But if they go for three different unis then there will be many more applications, and it was always a struggle to get it all done quickly anyway!

xxx
Reply 1806
I have booked a literacy test for tomorrow however I am still awaiting one of my references to completely submit my application, I am worried that the literacy test may not count.
Reply 1807
yay both references are in! I was very lucky and my Headteacher did it thursday evening- the night I submitted the application. :-) Good luck everyone! Skills tests now!
Reply 1808
Original post by xxstace123xx
http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/apply-now

That is where the amount of places offered by each provider is, if you didn't know :smile:

Thanks so much! :-) Damn I wish I had looked before finalising my choices! Wandsworth consortium has barely any places!
Reply 1809
Original post by bfc92
I have booked a literacy test for tomorrow however I am still awaiting one of my references to completely submit my application, I am worried that the literacy test may not count.

I called the skills test helpline this morning as I am taking mine on Friday and was worried my references wouldn't have been written by then. The lady said that as long as I could print off my application form with my id number on it then that was fine as proof of applying. I already have a print of my application form so I was really relieved when I heard this and I am madly practicing for both of my tests. Good luck with yours.
Reply 1810
Original post by rso101
I called the skills test helpline this morning as I am taking mine on Friday and was worried my references wouldn't have been written by then. The lady said that as long as I could print off my application form with my id number on it then that was fine as proof of applying. I already have a print of my application form so I was really relieved when I heard this and I am madly practicing for both of my tests. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for that, it has put my mind at rest, getting references has taken a lot longer than I originally anticipated! Thanks
Original post by cutebat
Thanks so much! :-) Damn I wish I had looked before finalising my choices! Wandsworth consortium has barely any places!

Yeah I didn't know it existed until finalising. My numbers are what I expected. 17/18/20. Still sounds so low when you think of how many are applying :frown:

Anyone know of a way to find out how many applied last year for a certain course? I guess it won't be that much use this year since numbers have gone up, but just to see demand.

Edit: Nvm found it.

Edit again: I know a few people were asking about when unis do interviews. Manchester have the dates listed on their website, the first date being 17th December. I'd imagine unis may be similar with this so may give people an idea of when the earliest is! I was reading about the interviews and I think that's what will let me down :frown: so much pressure. Teaching tasks, assessment of subject knowledge (I'm not doing an R.E degree so I do have weaknesses!).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1812
Yeah I didn't know it existed until finalising. My numbers are what I expected. 17/18/20. Still sounds so low when you think of how many are applying :frown:

Anyone know of a way to find out how many applied last year for a certain course? I guess it won't be that much use this year since numbers have gone up, but just to see demand.

Edit again: I know a few people were asking about when unis do interviews. Manchester have the dates listed on their website, the first date being 17th December. I'd imagine unis may be similar with this so may give people an idea of when the earliest is! I was reading about the interviews and I think that's what will let me down :frown: so much pressure. Teaching tasks, assessment of subject knowledge (I'm not doing an R.E degree so I do have weaknesses!).

Blimey they're all so low- Where is it you applied for again? Did you say you found the numbers for how many people applied last year? If so where? Try not to worry about the interviews they are rly stressful but as long as you sound confident in your subject knowledge you will be fine they will just grill you about why you will be able to teach it and how your previous studies will help you. (thats what they did with me an history any way) xx

Where did you find figures for how many applied last year?
Original post by alabelle
Where did you find figures for how many applied last year?

http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/GTTR-2012-Annual-Statistical-Report.pdf They aren't figures for applications, more acceptances, but they are still useful to look at (albeit a little saddening!)

Original post by cutebat
Blimey they're all so low- Where is it you applied for again? Did you say you found the numbers for how many people applied last year? If so where? Try not to worry about the interviews they are rly stressful but as long as you sound confident in your subject knowledge you will be fine they will just grill you about why you will be able to teach it and how your previous studies will help you. (thats what they did with me an history any way) xx

I've applied to Edge Hill, Sheffield Hallam and Cumbria. Figures for some random things are on here http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/GTTR-2012-Annual-Statistical-Report.pdf Yeah with the subject knowledge I think even though I've been saying I'm really confident I could teach R.E with a politics degree, and my PS reflected this, I think deep down I don't know if I can :frown: It's only really just hit me now that I've applied, that I'm going to be expected to show my knowledge in an area I don't even have a GCSE in! I know it sounds stupid that I even applied, but I do have a genuine interest in religion, took a short course on it and a module at uni. I probably know more than the average person without religious qualifications but I don't think it's enough. I guess the providers will easily see that though. Ah well. Should have gone for citizenship I think. As useless as it is, I probably would have had more chance at getting in :frown:
http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/GTTR-2012-Annual-Statistical-Report.pdf They aren't figures for applications, more acceptances, but they are still useful to look at (albeit a little saddening!)

I've applied to Edge Hill, Sheffield Hallam and Cumbria. Figures for some random things are on here http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/GTTR-2012-Annual-Statistical-Report.pdf Yeah with the subject knowledge I think even though I've been saying I'm really confident I could teach R.E with a politics degree, and my PS reflected this, I think deep down I don't know if I can :frown: It's only really just hit me now that I've applied, that I'm going to be expected to show my knowledge in an area I don't even have a GCSE in! I know it sounds stupid that I even applied, but I do have a genuine interest in religion, took a short course on it and a module at uni. I probably know more than the average person without religious qualifications but I don't think it's enough. I guess the providers will easily see that though. Ah well. Should have gone for citizenship I think. As useless as it is, I probably would have had more chance at getting in :frown:

Queen's Belfast do a PGCE in Politics. There are also various places that do Sociology or Citizenship.

If you could teach any subject right now what would it be?
Reply 1816

I'm also applying to Edge Hill. I'm hoping to do languages (German and French). Good luck!

Have you considered doing a subject enhancement course? I will definitely need to do one for French and I've also mentioned this in my personal statement. I've spoken to someone from Edge Hill, Hope and Chester Uni and they're all fine with it as it would be better if I can teach two languages. Many schools in Merseyside don't even teach German so it would be a massive disadvantage for me if I can't teach French.

I still haven't been able to send off my application because my lecturer hasn't gotten back to me yet (I emailed her twice). I'm starting to get quite worried :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1817
Ugh, looking at those figures is really scary.
I'm getting really fed up of putting all this hard work into maybe getting onto a course, I feel like we're constantly treated like circus animals, expected to jump through so many hoops, just to be eligible, not even to get ON a course.

If I don't get on this time round I think the 3rd attempt would have to be my last, I can't keep my life on hold for 4 years waiting to train. I'm 22 and I've never worked full time, I'm constantly skint and miserable!
Those figures definitely are scary!

Plus i was hoping the interviews would be after Christmas if i'm lucky enough to get one, i don't want it to be ruining my festive mood ;D
Original post by maskofsanity
Queen's Belfast do a PGCE in Politics. There are also various places that do Sociology or Citizenship.

If you could teach any subject right now what would it be?

I know of citizenship. If it was actually taught as a proper subject then I wouldn't have hesitated to do that. I don't know of any schools that have a citizenship teacher, so I was thinking about my employability.

If I could teach anything it would be A-Level politics or economics. I'm not saying I don't want to teach R.E, I'm just starting to wonder what the hell I was thinking assuming I'd have a chance!
Original post by ginger.
I'm also applying to Edge Hill. I'm hoping to do languages (German and French). Good luck!

Have you considered doing a subject enhancement course? I will definitely need to do one for French and I've also mentioned this in my personal statement. I've spoken to someone from Edge Hill, Hope and Chester Uni and they're all fine with it as it would be better if I can teach two languages. Many schools in Merseyside don't even teach German so it would be a massive disadvantage for me if I can't teach French.

I still haven't been able to send off my application because my lecturer hasn't gotten back to me yet (I emailed her twice). I'm starting to get quite worried :frown:

Good luck to you too! Edge Hill is my first choice, so fingers crossed. I've never even visited, but it's close to me so would be good for commuting.

I did something over the summer that was considered to be a subject knowledge enhancement course. Found it on the oxford uni R.E PGCE website, so it must be known. It only took me three weeks though, so I don't think it can boost my application that much!

Sorry to hear about your lecturer. I can imagine how frustrating it is - I was frustrated after one day! Is she not replying to your emails?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending