The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jak610
Hey guys, the grades here are so impressive! Can anyone give me an honest opinion regarding my application? Here's a summary;
ABBB Maths Econ Physics Geog,
A*AAA predictions, dropped geog to self teach further maths in year 13,
School is 480th out of 491 in terms of league tables, nobody has ever left with AAA etc
I have outstanding extra-curriculars, work experience in canary wharf investment bank/a huge amount of reading around things like game theory and mathematics for economics and finance.
Personal statement is also really strong, LSE has always been the dream but of course my poor grades are going to reflect badly on my application, what do you guys reckon? Applying for maths with econ + maths AND econ, twice at LSE.
Cheers for any feedback ^^

You either stand a good chance or you don't depending on how LSE will see things, if they consider your school background then I reckon you have a good chance, but my question is that why did you not consider Cambridge? With those grades (and background) you had a decent chance at Cambridge, especially if you would have shown your enthusiasm in the interview.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2161
Original post by TerribleTej
You either stand a good chance or you don't depending on how LSE will see things, if they consider your school background then I reckon you have a good chance, but my question is that why did you not consider Cambridge? With those grades (and background) you had a decent chance at Cambridge, especially if you would have shown your enthusiasm in the interview.

I never thought i was the stuff of Cambridge! Assumed it was either perfection or no chance to get in :smile: Is it too late to withdraw one of my applications to Durham? I've an offer from Nottingham for maths/econ and four of them are still pending, i'd be happy to withdraw one if i'ts not too late to apply at Cambridge!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ekgp
Oh wow!! Congrats!! I've also applied to actuarial science and I'm in my 4th week... :s-smilie: How far were you into your 5 week email?

More than 6 weeks. :frown: But I received offer anyway. Don't worry, just be patient and wait what happens next! :biggrin:
Original post by dawn25
hey congrats! i'm currently on week 5 of my wait and am really hoping to get a reply from LSE by the end of this week…
do you actually know if LSE pays attention to the LNAT scores at all? i know they don't require the scores, but if the applicant has taken the test, is the score provided to LSE? i got an interview from oxford so i'm thinking i couldn't have completely bombed it and that maybe the scores could help me for LSE :P
if anyone else knows the answer to this question, please feel free to reply! thanks

I don't think LSE will ever know your LNAT performance. This is because did you remember when you were filling up the LNAT application form,the form requested you to tick the LNAT unis that you are planning to apply? Then the Pearson VUE will only send your result to the LNAT unis you have ticked. Furthermore, LSE doesn't require LNAT, so it will put the other applicants at a big disadvantage if they look at your LNAT score.

Hope this can clear your doubts.
Original post by lolzzzic
I first received a two weeks email and after a week I received the five weeks email. Today should be the end of the five weeks but I received an offer just last week. I nearly had an heart attack as I was anticipating a rejection!

But don't worry too much! I'm sure LSE will get back to you as soon as possible! (I do understand that the wait is excruciating:frown:)

Big congratulations!!! You must be one of the very very strong law applicants who applied to LSE. It's kinda rare they will give out a law offer so soon. Congrats again!
Reply 2165
Original post by lolzzzic
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I've been stalking this thread for a while and I really like the supportive atmosphere here! I received an LSE offer last week and I'm really excited. I applied to Oxford, LSE, Durham, King's and Warwick. And LSE is the only uni that has got back to me!

I wish all of you the best of luck!!!:tongue:

Omg that's awesome! All I got was the two week email, then five week email, then four week email. Judging that you got an offer already, you must be really strong applicant and I'm really doubting my chances now :frown:
Reply 2166
Has anyone got an offer/got further than their 5 weeks for Pol&Phil?
My 5 weeks end this Friday and I haven't seen any offers yet- nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ffionm
Has anyone got an offer/got further than their 5 weeks for Pol&Phil?
My 5 weeks end this Friday and I haven't seen any offers yet- nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to politics and philosophy and my five weeks end this Friday too, so we're in the exact same situation I guess :smile: but I haven't seen any offers yet either, so I can't wait to find out what happens next! good luck!
Reply 2168
Original post by applicant2014
I don't think LSE will ever know your LNAT performance. This is because did you remember when you were filling up the LNAT application form,the form requested you to tick the LNAT unis that you are planning to apply? Then the Pearson VUE will only send your result to the LNAT unis you have ticked. Furthermore, LSE doesn't require LNAT, so it will put the other applicants at a big disadvantage if they look at your LNAT score.

Hope this can clear your doubts.

thanks!
Reply 2169
Cambridge deadline was the 15th October so you're too late by a mile, you could still withdraw from Durham and apply somewhere other than Oxbridge if you wanted to though.
Original post by Jak610
Hey guys, the grades here are so impressive! Can anyone give me an honest opinion regarding my application? Here's a summary;
ABBB Maths Econ Physics Geog,
A*AAA predictions, dropped geog to self teach further maths in year 13,
School is 480th out of 491 in terms of league tables, nobody has ever left with AAA etc
I have outstanding extra-curriculars, work experience in canary wharf investment bank/a huge amount of reading around things like game theory and mathematics for economics and finance.
Personal statement is also really strong, LSE has always been the dream but of course my poor grades are going to reflect badly on my application, what do you guys reckon? Applying for maths with econ + maths AND econ, twice at LSE.
Cheers for any feedback ^^

My only concern is that the prediction seem superficial.
Original post by Mike_123
My only concern is that the prediction seem superficial.

Well, as both of your course choices are in the maths department, the admission selector should notice that you applied twice. And the predicted grades are a bit too optimistic.
Reply 2172
Original post by Jak610
I never thought i was the stuff of Cambridge! Assumed it was either perfection or no chance to get in :smile: Is it too late to withdraw one of my applications to Durham? I've an offer from Nottingham for maths/econ and four of them are still pending, i'd be happy to withdraw one if i'ts not too late to apply at Cambridge!

Cambridge deadline was the 15th October so you're too late by a mile, you could still withdraw from Durham and apply somewhere other than Oxbridge if you wanted to though.
Original post by Jak610

Depends if you're a mature student as some have until 15th Jan to apply to Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jak610

The deadline for applying to Cambridge was 15th october, so maybe you could try next year if you get all A's or even one B I would take a gap year and give it a shot as if no one in your school has ever got AAA or higher then you have a serious chance (and I mean serious) of getting in as Cambridge are very fair when they compare applicants (they check educational and personal background). What I mean is that they will be more impressed with AAA at a school like yours than someone with A*AA in a grammar school.
In terms of applying twice to LSE its a good idea (I did it myself quite foolishly though) as you already have an excellent back up with Nottingham. If you do get an offer from LSE then you should accept it and try and meet it as LSE is a fantastic uni itself.
Reply 2175
7 weeks now after the 5 week email, still no reply.. Im stressing lol
Hi everyone!
anyone received an offer in IR?
or a five-week email?
Reply 2177
Just got an email from LSE asking me what my home language is, to determine if they can consider my A level Russian as a subject. Whats the worse that could happen if I lied? lol
Original post by valerab
Just got an email from LSE asking me what my home language is, to determine if they can consider my A level Russian as a subject. Whats the worse that could happen if I lied? lol

Typically not good to lie about things that are quite easily verifiable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have any home Law applicants received an email from LSE saying 'you're one of the strongest applicants?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending